Totally OT... Honda Goldwing... Towtruck?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Totally OT... Honda Goldwing... Towtruck?

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Totally OT... Honda Goldwing... Towtruck?

Post by adirondakjack »

Makes perfect sense for parking garages. A GW has as much or more power than many small cars, and that rig will get into places a conventional tow truck won't. My brother had a transmission go out on a car in a parking garage, tow truck couldn't get in there, and the limited space and weird geometry of the place meant we needed a pickup and tow dolly, and 4 people to push the dead car uphill, execute several adjustments, then get in on the dolly, WHILE BLOCKING TRAFFIC. it was not pretty.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

adirondakjack wrote:My brother had a transmission go out on a car in a parking garage, tow truck couldn't get in there, and the limited space and weird geometry of the place meant we needed a pickup and tow dolly, and 4 people to push the dead car uphill, execute several adjustments, then get in on the dolly, WHILE BLOCKING TRAFFIC. it was not pretty.
Reminds me of a neighbor who had a rather large horse pass away when in a concrete-block shed they'd converted into a horse shelter. Thankfully it was winter, and they had a chainsaw. . . :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Remember, this is Japan and folks almost raised on the Transformer movies. This is a piece of cake, errr, sushi for them.

When I was fortunate enough to have my company send me there, all I saw were the local cops at the Koban in the little itty-bitty 10cc mopeds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pretty tricky...... My Goldwing has 125 HP and about the same torque. It's very fast and can pull the front wheel off the ground from a stop (so I've seen on YouTube...clutchs are too expensive to be doing that) Perhaps, those special models have much lower gearing for that configuration???
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I wouldn't be so much worried about getting it moving as a Wing would have enough HP to do it. I'd hate to start down a hill though. I believe the brakes would disappear pretty quick!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

41 Redhawk wrote:I wouldn't be so much worried about getting it moving as a Wing would have enough HP to do it. I'd hate to start down a hill though. I believe the brakes would disappear pretty quick!
Disc brakes on the trailer, too....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Ummm, so there are, phooey on me :oops: :D
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

41 Redhawk wrote:Ummm, so there are, phooey on me :oops: :D
I was going to agree with you....My GoldWing is not overly endowed with brakes...certainly enough for the bike, but not for much more.... A motorcycle trailer would be pushing it a bit, IMO.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
41 Redhawk wrote:Ummm, so there are, phooey on me :oops: :D
I was going to agree with you....My GoldWing is not overly endowed with brakes...certainly enough for the bike, but not for much more.... A motorcycle trailer would be pushing it a bit, IMO.
I would wonder if the ingenious Mecha Otaku motorcycle designers hadn't devised a way to remotely trigger the rear brakes of the car too...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yep, the tow rig has disc brakes, and either they are tied into the bike or use surge brakes. Either way that part works.
Certified gun nut
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Blaine, since the topic is GoldWings I'll tell a little story about my dad. He is 78 years old and has a Wing with 182000 miles on it. Anyway, he was leading a group of old fanny burbs on an afternoon ride up in the mountains in VA. on a twisty road. The guys at the back started shouting on their CBs about some young feller on a Ducati passing them in the turns as they went up the mountain. Dad radioed back to send him up we he was. When the kid cleared the bike just behind dad he took off. The Ducati chased him all the way to the top of the mountain and was barely able to keep up let alone pass. They stopped at the top and the kid was stunned. He also spent some time looking up under the Wing to see what all had been dragging. Back in the days when Dad was riding earlier model Yamaha Ventures the kid would have been left behind!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hilarious because it's so odd... :lol:

Yet a stroke of genius!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yeah, but imagine trying to drive around a full-sized towtruck in Tokyo traffic.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

41 Redhawk wrote:Blaine, since the topic is GoldWings I'll tell a little story about my dad. He is 78 years old and has a Wing with 182000 miles on it. Anyway, he was leading a group of old fanny burbs on an afternoon ride up in the mountains in VA. on a twisty road. The guys at the back started shouting on their CBs about some young feller on a Ducati passing them in the turns as they went up the mountain. Dad radioed back to send him up we he was. When the kid cleared the bike just behind dad he took off. The Ducati chased him all the way to the top of the mountain and was barely able to keep up let alone pass. They stopped at the top and the kid was stunned. He also spent some time looking up under the Wing to see what all had been dragging. Back in the days when Dad was riding earlier model Yamaha Ventures the kid would have been left behind!
I'm not surprised. The Wing handles wonderfully. It is limited only by how far you can lean by the floorboards dragging. Some just grind on thru, but that noise really puts me off :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

BlaineG wrote:I'm not surprised. The Wing handles wonderfully. It is limited only by how far you can lean by the floorboards dragging. Some just grind on thru, but that noise really puts me off :P
Yeah, he generally stops when he hits the "feelers" but when need be will go on.

Then there is the story of the guy that had a 600 Ninja and went to Keith Code's school. Pop had the Venture then and "schooled" him for real going up that same mountain! That guy was left behind and was plumb embarrassed. Dad's a great rider and those touring bikes aren't quite the "land yachet" that some make them out to be.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Geezer Glide :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV