Sorta OT: LG Cartridge in a Boltie Carbine (UPDATED PICS)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Sorta OT: LG Cartridge in a Boltie Carbine (UPDATED PICS)

Post by Haycock »

So... there's a long story behind this, but suffice it to say I traded into a Winchester Model 54 Carbine in .30WCF a couple of weeks ago...

Wow. I mean... just... wow.

WHAT a beautiful and functional firearm!

Its got a Lyman receiver sight on it that was factory installed and sling swivels that I think were too, just based on the inletting and the fact that they were correct Winchester swivels...

Its lineage, I believe, is derived from the Springfield... so the operating controls are all Mauser......... but its a .30-30!!!!!

Too freaking cool.

Been travelling for work a lot recently, so I haven't shot it yet... but I'm gonna soon...

Wondering if anyone knows twist rate for this beauty... or has any experience with loads that shoot well in one.... me, I've never even seen another one......

Haycock
Last edited by Haycock on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Hobie

Re: Sorta OT: Levergun Cartridge in a Boltie Carbine

Post by Hobie »

The 54s were NICE guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

AN ACTUAL WINNY BOLTIE CARBY IN 30WCF ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Terry Murbach wrote:AN ACTUAL WINNY BOLTIE CARBY IN 30WCF ??
Uh-huh. Serial number places it as a 1930 build... maybe 80% blue left overall... wood in great shape... its really sweet... the way it handles and sounds when you work the action sorta screams "old world craftsmanship"...

Hay
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oooo Ooooo Ooooo, you just gotta post us some pics. I've NEVER ever seen nor heard of such a jewel.
Oh, and don't forget the range report.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The .30 WCF was a special order caliber for the 54, but quite a few were requested. The twist rate was most likely the same as other Winchester rifles of that caliber, 1-12". I would like to find the rare one ordered in .45-70 or 45-90 WCF. Some were even built in .348 WCF and .38-55. They are fine little rifles and becoming scarcer by the day. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I also have long enjoyed the Winchester 54's, which were way under-appreciated until fairly
recently. The .30-30 Win 54 would be a real treat. I have one in .22 Hornet -- it uses the full
size 54 action with a small box magazine inset into it, and functions beautifully. It also
averages less than 1 MOA out to 200 yards, using its original 6X Fecker "small game" scope. They really put a lot of work into making these fine rifles "back in the day." For those unfamiliar with Fecker scopes, they are very similar to Unertl external-adjustment scopes, but have their parallax adjustment in the center, rather than on the objective lens. Almost all of the 54's I have seen have seen hard use and many modifications, so you really got a jewel there. Finding one in good original condition seems to be much, much harder than with Winchester pre-64 70's.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sorta OT: Levergun Cartridge in a Boltie Carbine - W/ PICS

Post by Haycock »

Didn't have a lot of time to take pics this evening, but here is the obligatory YK homage shot... note the shortened forestock of the carbine model, smooth and with side-grooves... very trim...

...and a shot of the Lyman... the white line to the left of the sight is a reflection of the flash... nothing there when looking in natural light...

Neither of these shots do the stock the justice it deserves... its not perfect, for sure, but its really nice wood and in better shape than it probably has any right to be for an 80 year old weapon...

Haycock
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They are very nice rifles. Friend has one in '06, have read about the 30/30's. Most have no idea how NICE AND BUILT they are. Ya gotta be chompin' at the bit to get it out. Conghrats :!:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I wonder what that little jewel would do with Nosler BT or Barnes TSX bullets, since there is no need for round or flat nosed bullets? With a good recoil pad it would be a great shooter for recoil sensitive shooters or someone like me with shoulder joint replacements. If you were not worried about collector value a 30-30AI conversion would benefit the spire point bullets you can now use. My son inherited a beat up old Savage bolt action in 30-30 but the trigger is terrible and it is a PIA to fit with a receiver sight. Its only saving grace is the 30-30 chambering. Don't let this one go. It is perfect for a youngster's first deer rifle and can be loaded down for small game. You could even load it with Hawk 220 gr bullets for moose. Did I say you have a jewel there? A small 1-4x scope would look great on that rifle too.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

NonPCnraRN wrote:I wonder what that little jewel would do with Nosler BT or Barnes TSX bullets, since there is no need for round or flat nosed bullets? With a good recoil pad it would be a great shooter for recoil sensitive shooters or someone like me with shoulder joint replacements. If you were not worried about collector value a 30-30AI conversion would benefit the spire point bullets you can now use. My son inherited a beat up old Savage bolt action in 30-30 but the trigger is terrible and it is a PIA to fit with a receiver sight. Its only saving grace is the 30-30 chambering. Don't let this one go. It is perfect for a youngster's first deer rifle and can be loaded down for small game. You could even load it with Hawk 220 gr bullets for moose. Did I say you have a jewel there? A small 1-4x scope would look great on that rifle too.
Interesting thoughts... I've been playing with the idea of getting it sighted in with reduced recoil ammo so my daughter can use it as a step up from the .357 levergun she's mostly shooting now... maybe I'll pick up a pack of the Remington 125gr loading... its ballistics are about the same as a .25-35...

Haycock
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

There's been one of those in my cousins' family for generations. I recall one of them hunting with it down on my grandparents' farm. After reading this thread I now wonder how they came by it. That family, though large, was populated by hunters, but they were not particularly gun enthusiasts. I had always thought that this particular rifle (and theirs was a full-size rifle) was something that they had acquired new, and had used for years. But now, some of you guys are claiming that 30-30 was a special order caliber in that model. I wonder even more now, who was the gun person in that family? Particularly since there's a Winchester high wall (not low wall) in 38-40 also sitting in my elderly uncle's cabinet right beside the 54. Around here, in times from the early 60's and earlier, both calibers were not rare in the deer woods. But both models of rifles were, since everyone back then lugged around some sort of levergun, or a Remington pump.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Haycock wrote:
Uh-huh. Serial number places it as a 1930 build... maybe 80% blue left overall... wood in great shape... its really sweet... the way it handles and sounds when you work the action sorta screams "old world craftsmanship"...

Hay
"Old World...?" Not hardly.! OLD AMERICAN --- which is even better!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

If I remember right 1-10 twist on that one. If yo can Waters did a 30-30 update using the M54 a few years ago and I may have a copy in Pet Loads. Seems like he was loading a little hotter than levergun loads and using pointed bullets and was quite impressed.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Very nice rifle!
I have a newer bolt gun( okay not that new lol) a 788 in 30/30 and have been feeding it 150gr nosler BT for years at 2400fps Dare I say it is the almost perfect 30/30. But mine is a un lucky rifle as when it's in my hands I hardly see game only taken 3 Deer with it in over 20years :(
Just the luck of the draw switch guns at truck or camp and I see game?
But it is a super cast bullet shooter.
Savage made the 340 and Rem the 788 you would think for those of us who really do like both action types Lever and Bolt they would make more Bolt guns in 30/30. The rimmed case should not be a problem since most are push feed anyway.
I would love to see that 54 up close and get to shot it too.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Haycock wrote:

Hay
"Old World...?" Not hardly.! OLD AMERICAN --- which is even better!
LOL... too true!!! Great comment!

Haycock
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Waters Pet Loads 30-30 Update....

Bolt action loads in the M54 were about 100-150 fps faster than lever gun max loads and a 150 bullet was clocked at right on 2400 fps.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Lovely rifle and great find.

One of the exciting things about lurking around gun shop second hand racks is that these treasures are out there.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sorta OT: Levergun Cartridge in a Boltie Carbine (New Pics)

Post by Haycock »

Took a couple in the fading sunlight after getting home tonight...

This one is a bit washed by the sunlight, but you can make out the figure in the butt....

This one shows off the figure really well all along the body...

This one is just to show the receiver more clearly...

Finally this one gives you the overall view...

Its the wood that kicks my butt... the pics don't really do it justice.... it..... glows......

Hay
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

KCSO wrote:Waters Pet Loads 30-30 Update....

Bolt action loads in the M54 were about 100-150 fps faster than lever gun max loads and a 150 bullet was clocked at right on 2400 fps.
So... that pretty much matches standard modern factory 150gr loads at 2390fps, no? Were standard levergun .30-30 loads in 1930 run at 2250fps-2300fps?

Hay