Yorkshire Terrier

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Yorkshire Terrier

Post by Charles »

Late yesterday afternoon, a female Yorkshire Terrier showed up seeking refuge and protection. She has been bathed, fed, and is at my feet as I key this end. She is somebody's pet that got away. I will try to find her owner, but if they can be found, I guess I have a new shop dog. She is not agressive toward the cats, but they are giving her the ojo and letting her know that if she wants a fight, they will provide it.

I don't know much about Yorkies, but she looks like a good example. I will take her to the vet Monday and see if she has a chip and get her checked out. I think she is fairly young, but can't be certain of that. She is very affectionate and love to be held and petted. Seems to have no agressive traits whatsoever. Really is a nice dog. I have named her Penny.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Yorkshire Terrier

Post by O.S.O.K. »

They are nice little dogs. I would coucil keeping her clippered - not to let the hair grow as-is the standard. This will be much easier to care for and she will be more comfy IMHO. I don't mean shaved - just clippered short.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm not in the least surprised that you've done right by the dog. I would like to believe that her owner didn't dump her. We see an awful lot of dumped dogs and cats up at Mom's. That just burns me up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

When we lived in the "country" - rural, any such dog was treated as a drop-off. Because they were.

Really stupid because anybody that lived in the nearby city could, for no charge, drop-off their pet at the SPCA shelter.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Watch out their extremely intelligent and vocal and they'll take over the house. I know my sister has two of them and their my "Hairy Nieces". They're smart enought ofigure things out, they'll bark, wimper, cry, moan, whistle to get their point across, and because their cute as a button they'll be running the place because you can't resist. :mrgreen:

I hope you find the owner, puppies can sometimes run off from the owners thinking it can "get back home" to it original pack and thus it took our new dog Chole about six months to decide to stay.

If can't find the owner and you can afford it, I'd say keep em. The cats and the dog will work things out in their time and before you know it they'll be knocking things over as they play with each other. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with O.S.O.K..

yorkies are not "nice little dogs." They are GREAT LITTLE DOGS!!

They also happen to be my favorite breed of pocket pooches.

Over the last thirty years, I've had five Yorkies. One little male I gave away because he was too blamed hard-headed to be housebroken or made to quit chewing the furniture and moldings. One died of Cushings Disease, one died of complications of giving birth, and one puppy had to be put down due to birth defects. All of them, including the hard head, were affectionate and playful. (FWIW, after we gave Rugby to a new family, the little rascal realy blossomed into an outstanding dog. In large measure it confirmed my suspicion that Cricket, our little female Yorkie, had lured Rugby into much of his misbehavior for her own entertainment.)

Give Penny half a chance and I'll bet you a soda pop that she will become a semi-permanent fixture in you lap.

Congratulations on your new friend. I believe that you will find her to be an outstanding companion.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Miss Rilee, Queen of the house!Image
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

My wife and I had a Yorky for many years. A highly spirited dog, fearless. My wife would take it obedience class and it would always pick a fight with the biggest dog in the class.
It always sided with my wife if we argued.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The wife told me this afternoon to stop looking for the owner. I think that means that Penny is here to stay. My dogs have always been terriers of some kind..Scotties, Cairn, and now a Yorkshire, so I am used to the terrier personality.

My Cairn Abby dies just two months ago and I thought I was not ready for a new dog. But Miss Penny blew that timetable all to hades. Her adgenda could not wait. I will keep her groomed and the hair far shorter than show length. She is a real corker..gentle as a lamb,love to be held, but active and busy as terriers are. It will take her a while to settle in and get into the routine, but she will do just fine.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Charles, I'd make a good effort to get that good lil doggy back with her people before I kept her...Dogs miss their people too...
Wife & I adopted and had chipped a Hurricane Katrina dog...Nice Fox Terrier we named Satch... After about six weeks he was stolen from us.. Coaxed into a car I'm sure.. as he loved to go for a ride...That's on us for letting him lie in the sunshine at the end of our driveway...Eight mos. later my wife spots him on the beach... A nice lady walking him... The story went she bought him from neighbors who were neglecting him...After the lady talked with my wife she took him to a vet to make sure he was chipped to us, it was confirmed, so she called us and offered to give him back...We couldn't see him missing another family and home again, hopefully he’s still happy there..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

FF1063 wrote:My wife and I had a Yorky for many years. A highly spirited dog, fearless. My wife would take it obedience class and it would always pick a fight with the biggest dog in the class.
It always sided with my wife if we argued.
To an extent that sounds a little like my Cricket.

We lived in Mobile when we got Cricket, and for a while lived directly across the street from our boss. Susan and Tom had a HUGE dog named Zack. Zack weighed over 200 pounds and Tom described his lineage as,"part Wolf, part Saint Bernard, part Black Lave and part whatever tore the fence down to get to his mother."

Anyway Zack was the neighborhood watch dog and he did a better job than the neighborhood watch.

On several occasions when Cricket would be outside with me she'd see Zack trotting down the street and she'd start barking growling and raising sand as if she wanted to eat him up. Then when Zack would bend his course to see what sort of bug was making dog noises, Cricket would cat behind my feet, and peep around my boots to growl at Zack.

She might have been bold, but she was not stupid.

She was certainly a real sweetheart. She has been gone 24 years and i still miss her.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I contacted the local Police yesterday to see if anybody was missing a dog and they took my phone number. About two hours ago, I received a call from the owner. She and her three daughters age 5 to 10 showed up squaling and bawling for joy to get their dog back. I handed her over as it was the right thing to do, but it sure was hard. The little girl had wormed her way into my heart in 24 hours flat. Drats!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Doin' right ain't always easy but it's always right.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I expected nothing less of you Charles. You haven't disappointed. (as if it matters at all what I think!) :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Charles wrote:The little girl had wormed her way into my heart in 24 hours flat. Drats!
Yorkies will do that. It is their greatest talent.

For your sake and the sake of your wife, I'm sorry it happened the way it did. But for the sake of those heartbroken kids, I'm glad she is back with her family.

FWIW, maybe you ought to check with the Texas Yorkie Rscue League and adopte another lovable little girl.

Image Image
UNITE!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

This spring my two puppies, 7 mos and 10 mos, took off. Broke my heart with worry. Three days later the male, Gizmo, showed up. I about wrote the 7 month old female, Frankie, as gone. 5 days later she showed up apparently none the worse for wear. Now mind you she is awfully cute and young, and I don't know where she was for that long, but I'm glad they both got fixed one week before they took off. :wink:
As for the Yorky, I personally can tell you, I believe those girls will remember you for the rest of their lives.
Right on, Man.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I second Doc Hudson on the contacting Texas Yorkie Rescue, you might find another special one that can stay longer.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Charles wrote:I contacted the local Police yesterday to see if anybody was missing a dog and they took my phone number. About two hours ago, I received a call from the owner. She and her three daughters age 5 to 10 showed up squaling and bawling for joy to get their dog back. I handed her over as it was the right thing to do, but it sure was hard. The little girl had wormed her way into my heart in 24 hours flat. Drats!

Good on ya Charles. Hard to do, yes. But you sure made the lives of the pup and a bunch of little girls brighter. 8)
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm sorry you lost your new friend...<{:'(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Thanks for the kind words. My wife is lined up to get a Pekinese rescue in the Dallas area in a week or two. She wanst a lap dog and the Peks fill that bill. She finds terriers to active for her taste. That may or may not meet my dog needs. If it does, then we are good to go. If not, then I will start looking for a Yorkie to rescue. I am a sucker for that terrier face and active personality.

I am really missing Penny Pup this morning, but I know she and all that squaling bunch of females are very happy. It was the right thing to do.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

When you get ready to head to the DFW area drop me a PM. Maybe we can meet up somewhere. My wife has told me more than once I could use some churchin'... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If I get to that area I will do that. My wife's son is Deputy Fire Marshall in Richardson and he will get the dog and she will meet them half way or in Austin for the transfer. I used to get to DFW several times a year as my daughter works for AEP and lives in Dallas. Well, she just got a big promotion and at the end of this month will move to Ft. Wayne Indiana, so that takes DFW off my regular route.

Now about needing some churchin..............

PS.. I see you live in Tuna. Has DeeDee's husband reappeared?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Charles wrote:PS.. I see you live in Tuna. Has DeeDee's husband reappeared?
Rumor has it he's promised to be home around Christmas. WHICH Christmas is open for debate... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

It's the right thing... ya' done good! We get a little Papillon that shows up at our house to play with our dogs about once a month. His name is Paisley Jarvis. Tiny little guy. 20 pounds of attitude in a 5 pound dog! I have thought several times like you... but it's the right thing giving them back. I can only imagine how heartbroken I would be if someone kept my little Schnauzer.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Is there any truth to the rumour that the face of the Yorky Terrier was the model for Chewbacca of Star Wars? It sure looks like it.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Good on you Charles.......Matt. 25:35 You never know who might drop in. :D :D :?:

Daughter moving to Ft. Wayne......if you get up this way to visit her, drop me a PM. Wife and I would be glad to meet up have some dinner, on me.
UNITE