Which rifle/cartridge to take..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Which rifle/cartridge to take..?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Given these choices, which one should I take elk hunting. From what I've learned, the terrain is rocky and open. Not alot of trees, so shots might not be close. At home I've got a Win 70 in .270 Win, a Remington 760 in .300 Savage and a Marlin 444.

I'll probably take the Marlin as a backup just in case I need it. It's not scoped and I don't feel comfortable shooting out past 150 yards with it.

That leaves the 270 or the 300. I've killed lots of deer with both, most have been bang-flops or ran very little. Loaded with 150 gr. bullets, there's not much difference between the 2 out to 300 yards or so.

Would you load the 270 with a good 130 gr. bullet to gain some extra velocity.? Would you load the 300 up with 165's or 180's to get a little extra weight retention.?

Both of them will do the job if I put the bullet in the right place, I was just wondering if one might be better suited than the other.

Man,..there's so many questions I have about elk hunting....I'm afraid I'm going to wear you guys out with questions by December.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Which rifle/cartridge to take..?

Post by brno602 »

I like the 165gr in the little .300 I always use Noslers Partitions for big game and the Seirra 165gr for Deer. I have seen more Elk shot with a .270 than any other gun I don't own a 270 but my brother does he uses 140gr bullets to split the diff lol. The .270 will shoot flatter than any .300 savage but really it will be by only a few inches.
In the .270 I really do not think you will see much diff from any bullet on game be it a 150 or 130. In the .300 Savage any .308 cal I just never liked 150gr because they look so short so have always used 165gr in the .308 or .300 Savage. In my big 300 Mag I use 200gr at 3000+ is a great Elk gun :D
But the .300 Mag does not kill any faster than the .300 Savage/ or .270 it just makes long shots easy.
I would go with the .270 Now you should go read some Jack O'Connor books lol!
I think you posted this so you can buy a new gun? :lol:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Take whichever you feel most comfortable with and can shoot well. With a well-placed shot, the elk will never know what grain bullet you used or what cartridge for that matter. Do your part and you will have a successful hunt. Miss 'em with a 20MM cannon, you still missed 'em. :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

2nd JNyorks postion.
With that said however...
I'ld work up a good load in the 270 using 140 gr bullets, and the 300 would get a good shakin out of the 165 selections...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

.270 Win Model 70 with 150 grain loads
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Take the load that is pretty heavy(split the difference) and is still very fast :wink:
.270 Winchester with the 140gr Hornady Light Magnums(3110fps)
Just place your shot well.Try to keep it within 325yds, otherwise take a 7mm Mag or .300 Win mag! :o
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like the 270 win too....maybe with a heavier bullet....
130 seems light to me....for elk anyway

get some hornady leverevoltion booooolits for the 444
and wack a big one.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

The 270 is fine. Beside you can find ammo for it at any store. Where are you going? I hunt elk in New Mexico and Utah.

Dave
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I killed lots of elk with the 270 and 150gr Speers. My Father in law who killed 51 elk before his death swore by the 130gr Sierra BT. My son uses a 140 accubond.

I've taken only 1 elk with a 300 and that was a 180gr Winchester Silvertip. Did a great job. I wouldn't go any lighter than that.

I've taken a few elk with 444's and used cast bullets from 270grs to 330grs.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

270 with 150 gr. Partitions or Grand Slams.
NRA Life Member
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't consider the 760 and 7600s overly accurate, so the .270.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I'd take the .444...you said hunting, not target shooting. Part of real hunting is "getting" the shot.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the 300 Savage with 165 gr Partitions. Load them to 2400-2500 fps and they'll work great on elk at reasonable distances. I think I'd cut the distance off at around 225 yds but a lot of personal considerations are factored into that. I've heard good things about the 150 gr Barnes TSX on elk but I have no personal experience. I think any of your rifles will work if you do your part. Good luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Take the rifle you can hit with most confidently.We can all say Hunt better and get closer,but
this is a once and a life time tag.Take the first legal animal at the yardage you can make and
enjoy every minute of it.How much fun is it too even have this cal. decision anyway????
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

86er wrote:I like the 300 Savage with 165 gr Partitions. Load them to 2400-2500 fps and they'll work great on elk at reasonable distances. I think I'd cut the distance off at around 225 yds but a lot of personal considerations are factored into that. I've heard good things about the 150 gr Barnes TSX on elk but I have no personal experience. I think any of your rifles will work if you do your part. Good luck!
Being the owner of a new M-70 Featherweight Deluxe in 270 Win, I was thinking that the Barnes 150 gr MRX with the Silvex core would be a good penetrator. Basically it is a polymer tipped TSX with a proprietary tungsten core. For deer the 130 gr MRX would be the ticket. The MRX bullets aren't as long for caliber as the all copper TSX and more resemble lead core bullets.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:I'd take the .444...you said hunting, not target shooting. Part of real hunting is "getting" the shot.
deerwhacker444 wrote:I'll probably take the Marlin as a backup just in case I need it. It's not scoped and I don't feel comfortable shooting out past 150 yards with it.
I'm afraid I'm going to wear you guys out with questions by December.
Hmmm.....

I'm thinking I'd scope that .444 Marlin, and spend the next three months or so practicing longer-range shots with it, just because everybody gets elk with .270's and 7mm's, and .30's of some sort, but it just seems like a hunt like that calls for a big-bore LEVERGUN... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

270 Winchester with a good 150 grain bullet.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Two things come to mind. First you said the terrain will be open and rocky. That indicates that the .270 will have to be favored, likely with a 140-150gr premium bullet. Second, you didn't say whether this is a once every year or two type opportunity or if its more likely a once every 10 years or so type arrangement. If its going to be a rare chance, that too indicates the .270's added range. If you get to go more often, then you could try other guns, with more limited range, when the chance of coming home skunked wouldn't sting so badly. Your next trip might be to terrain that would be more suited for the .444.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I've been trying to decide between several rifles for a similar situation. I have a rare elk tag in Utah. After much deliberation (since April 23rd) I've decided to hunt with an original Rolling Block sporter in 45-70. I had to get over the ballistics and decide which rifle in my safe would make me truly happy to hunt with. Slinging a 135-year-old buffalo gun over my shoulder is the least "practical" choice of all my rifles. But a successful hunt with it would be, by far, the most rewarding. I am more excited about it that any other hunt I've ever been on. I'll have Model 71 with Buffalo Bore 250s as a backup. And my scoped 30-06 for the last day Hail Mary :wink:

So...that was a very long way of saying take the 444. This is a levergun forum. Scope it and shoot the heck out of it for the next three months until you're comfortable to 200 or even 250 yds. Use your 270 on the last day or two of your hunt.

my 2 cents. Good luck!
Chad