92 Winchester rebuild questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

92 Winchester rebuild questions

Post by JFE »

A while back I picked up a very tired 92 Winchester in 25/20 with the idea of rebuilding it into a small game rifle. The rifle barrel is in very poor bore condition and at some point was cut at 19", which I assume is not a factory length. The rifle had features I like in a small frame lever: button mag, octagonal barrel and no saddle ring.

I would like to rebuild this rifle with a half oct / half round barrel and I'm considering using the original octagonal barrel as a sleeve (trimmed appropriately) to preserve the original markings and dovetails. I would also like to set up the rifle with a pistol grip - currently its straight grip.

My first question is: was there a specific style to factory half oct / half round barrel configuratons and dimensions ?

My second question relates to the grip : should I have the original lower tang and lever bent into the original pistol shape or can I purchase the relevant original parts ?

I'd like the project to follow factory style and specs as much as possible and welcome comments and guidance.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: 92 Winchester rebuild questions

Post by w30wcf »

JFE,

Regarding the barrel length, the measurement should be taken from the muzzle back to the end of the chamber. Perhaps you are measuring it from the forward portion of the receiver(?). However, back when your rifle was made Winchester would offer many options including odd barrel lengths.

Have you tried shooting the rifle even though its bore is "very poor"? It may shoot aok with jacketed bullets and gas checked cast bullets. You could have the barrel turned to half round and sleeved if need be.

I don't know much about changing the grip. That would take some $$$'s. Personally, I like the straight grip just fine.

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't know of any curved PG parts (lower tang/loop) available for a Winchester 1892, and would think it would have to be a custon metal & stocking proposition.

AFAIK, the transition point, from octagon to round, on half-octagon barrels is halfway the length of a RIFLE (26" ) bbl ((I've never seen a half-octagon barreled carbine), or to the forward end of the forend cap.

FWIW, I've had both a .25-20 & a .32-20 Model 92 with bores that looked like sewer pipes, that shot just fine, thank you.
I've learned not to judge a book by it's cover, as it were - shoot it !

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JFE wrote:A while back I picked up a very tired 92 Winchester in 25/20 with the idea of rebuilding it into a small game rifle. The rifle barrel is in very poor bore condition and at some point was cut at 19", which I assume is not a factory length. The rifle had features I like in a small frame lever: button mag, octagonal barrel and no saddle ring.

I would like to rebuild this rifle with a half oct / half round barrel and I'm considering using the original octagonal barrel as a sleeve (trimmed appropriately) to preserve the original markings and dovetails. I would also like to set up the rifle with a pistol grip - currently its straight grip.
My first question is: was there a specific style to factory half oct / half round barrel configuratons and dimensions ?
All ½octagon/½round factory have been approximately just that, ½ way along the barrel foward of the receiver is where the contour change is made. The forend cap will be of the octagon type.
My second question relates to the grip : should I have the original lower tang and lever bent into the original pistol shape or can I purchase the relevant original parts ?
Original parts for a PG 1892 will probably be hard to come by. Curving yours, AND having it match the lever is a job for an above average to excellent gunsmith. Neither my 2005 or 2008 parts catalogs show a curved lower tang or lever for the Miruku made Winchester or Browning 1892s. And only show barreled receivers in 332-20 or larger cals.
I'd like the project to follow factory style and specs as much as possible and welcome comments and guidance.
Contact Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

JFE wrote:My first question is: was there a specific style to factory half oct / half round barrel configuratons and dimensions ?

JFE,

Most 1/2 oct/1/2 round I've seen go octagon to just past the forend tip, then round to muzzle.
I would stay away from the pistol grip mod. The pistol grip parts were serial number specific and the leaf type mainspring is also a specific part to match the curved lower tang.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Thanks for the tips.

FWIW when I said the barrel was poor condition, I really meant that it has no rifling left at all - its really badly chewed up. I might look around for another donor rifle in pistol grip configuration as I would really like to set one up with a pistol grip. 92's are fairly common here in Oz, but what's not so common is finding one in good condition.

Is there some kind of reference book that provides Winchester barrel dimensions for half oct / half round barrel configurations ?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Heres a company that does lever barrels http://www.windriverrifle.com/home.html and http://www.buffaloarms.com/ I'd send them a email they might be able to help you. danny
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

What 1892 barrel dimensions are you looking for ?

V/R

Mike Hunter
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

For half oct / half round barrels, I'm interested in

- location of the transition point - should it be just ahead of the fore-end cap or slightly further along? From what I've seen there seem to be a few variations.

- what diameter of the round barrel section, at the transition point and at the muzzle ?

- barrel lengths the factory half oct / half round barrels came in ?

The calibre will be 25/20 and I'll probably opt for a 22-24" barrel.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I’ve seen fewer ½ round 92s than any other model.

Ok Transition point is 11-11 1/8 , Size of barrel at transition : Octagon - .761, Round - .730. Barrel length is up to you, Winchester’s standard barrel taper was .006 per inch. With that you can determine the barrel dia at 20, 24 etc, dia muzzle.

V/R

Mike
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Mike - thanks for the info

Danny - thanks for the link.