Most Useful Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Most Useful Levergun

Post by Bigahh »

What would be your vote, and of course why? I believe I read where Jeff Quinn thinks everyone should own the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Is he correct? Not your favorite Gun, but as the Header states, the most useful.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Most Useful Levergun

Post by 86er »

To me, my 1886 Win EL High Grade is the most useful. Why? I can load my light (what else do you call them?) 1100 fps loads, 300 and 400 grainers in the 1400-1800 fps range or heavy 405 and 440 Kodiaks or solids running 2000+ fps. Factory ammo is easy to find most anywhere. It carries well in a scabbard, in the hand or on a sling. With the removable scout scope I have the versatility of precision shooting out to 300 yds if I know the trajectory very well and have the right shot presentation. With the XS sights I am accurate and confident out to 200 yds. That covers 90% of the hunting situations I'll have. At 7.5 pounds it travels well in a TuffPak case with all my clothes and gear, so I only need the one bag checked in. From plinking to dangerous game I can do it with this rifle if I pick the loads and control the situations the best that I can. I have no emotional attachment to this gun so if it were lost or stolen I'd just get another one. Oh, it is insured for enough to replace it. It would be a tad cooler, but only slightly better as far as practicality if it were a take-down.

FWIW - I almost picked my Savage 99 in .308. The reasons I didn't chose it as the MOST useful is that the two piece scope mount and ring system does not return the scope to perfect zero when removed and replaced and the factory rear sight has to be moved all the way down with the scope in place and put back up when the scope is removed. In North America I could shoot anything with it and only on the big bears would I feel a little light in the caliber. It is not a take-down and even with the 22" barrel the overall length is a little more than the 1886. Plus, it has sentimental value that is not replacable.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Like Joe, I have an inherent "weakness" for the Model 1886. IMNSHO, it is the best lever action rifle ever made, bar none. Sure, there is the great 9er9er Savage, the age old favorite 94 Winchester, and new new fangled bolt gun with a lever actuator, the Browning BLR. Of course we can't forget the forgettable 88 Winchester and the ever popular Marlin 336-1895. Nice guns, well and good, but none can stand up to the elegance of John Browning's 135 yr old design, the Winchester Model 1886. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

most usefull levergun is one that is chambered in the .357 s&w magnum for all the reason's previously discussed at this site. for big game hunting, i'd go with the winchester 1895 30-06.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'll go right along with Jeff Quinn. My Guide Gun would be one of the last to go, right before my Marlin 375 and 356 Winchester rifles.
NRA Life Member
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Most useful?
That's easy!
My Marlin 39A stays loaded and ready to go outside and deal with the never-ending parade of varmints attacking my veggie garden and fruit trees. All the rest of my weapons are more or less "safe queens" only seeing the light of day on occasional range trips.
I'd say the "most useful" gun is one that actually gets used!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

If you have a big bore revolver and a pulse, a Marlin 39 or a Winchester 2294 might be the most useful levergun.

Some might reverse that and pick a .22 handgun and bigbore levergun. But then you would have fewer good opportunities to make venison with the .22. And blasting one with a 45/70 gets attention in the other county.

So it's up for grabs, but every time I run another hundred rounds thru the Marlin 22 I get good vibrations. But I would not want to trot around brer bear's area without a bigggg borrrrre something.

;) Grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Looks like we posted that at the same time Fiddler. Good one.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

336 219 ZIPPER is the most used , days afield.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, the "most useful" levergun is the one that you dance with, and not the safe queen. ;)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Of the leverguns I have, the Guide Gun is the one I keep if I had to have only one, but my 92 Puma in .480 has done everything I could ask of it, and it took a water buffalo. That water buffalo was in all reality too much critter for me to consider with the Puma, but it did the job. I trust the .480 Ruger if used with Cast Performance bullets or with 400 grain jacketed flat points. Would I trade my Guide Gun or my Puma for a model 86, probably. The 86 can handle more pressure, has a longer barrel which may result in better long range accuracy, and doesn't weigh much more than the Guide Gun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Most USEFUL would have to be the Marlin 1894C .357 Mag. .38 Spec WCs for small game to 158 or 180s loaded fast enough to be a good deer cartridge.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with Hobie. My little .357 Marlin 1894 can really do anything I need to do, including shoot just about any ammo in a pinch.

Would I take the same gun in .44 Mag or .45 Colt - sure would - for basically the same reasons. If I thought I needed the extra power, I'd opt for the bigger bore.

Would I take a Winnie/Puma 92 instead? Yep, although I like Williams FP's, and they're easier to put on the Marlins, plus I can scope the Marlins more easily as well, if I take a notion.

Would I take the nearly-as-light Guide Gun in .45-70 instead? Yep, especially in bear country. Or maybe a Puma .454 Casull.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

How about the "mini 1886"? The 1892 in the form of a Rossi '92 in .44 Magnum. It would be one darn useful little carbine!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I have quite a range of leverguns and calibers, but I would have to say my 'Old Savage' is my most useful levergun ...... a Winchester Model 94 made in 1954 and chambered in 30-30. Why? It's light and powerful, holds lots of rounds, and is fairly short. It is my wilderness canoeing rifle, and when I'm on a road trip, it is my trunk gun. It is powerful enough that if I had to, I could take anything on the eastern half of the continent. I can see why the Winchester 94 carbine was so popular. It just seems to be the right balance of everything.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No doubt about it... it's the Winchester 94 in .30-30. If it weren't so useful, why would it have been the most popular model rifle ever sold? It ain't even a contest. Everyone has to have one, for it'll do just about every job needin' done... and what it won't do... probably doesn't NEED done. Sure, for more specific things, there might be better choices... but for the sheer scope of what it's capable of, in the package it's presented in... nothing comes close.

From gatherin' table meat, to competition & law enforcement, the ocassional varmit hit, the sad, but necessary herd thinnin' duties, to self-defense, the Winchester .30-30 performs 'em all. Whether carried in the hand, a saddle scabbard or the "ever-ready, heavy-duty" rifle rack, it's comfortable and close to hand.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

win 92 or 94 in 357 paired up with a s&w 686
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I can't decide:

Marlin 39TDS - .22lr plinking, small game, backpackable, varmit shooting/garden protection (my primary small game rifle)

Rossi, model 92 in .357 - wadcutters for plinking, small game, 180grainers for deer, acts as a truck gun. (I use this one daily with a ruger speed six as my truck gun)

Winchester 94 -30-30 a better deer rifle, primary game getter and with handloads, plinking and small game. (this one will be my hunting cabin rifle, wears a tang sight)

WWG 1895 .457/45-70 Co,pilot. Takedown versatile shooter. If I was in Alaska, this one might be the choice. (but I'm not in Alaska)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Seems to me that Best, Favourite, Most Useful and Most Used are just not all the same thing... :D Luck for us because in good times they provide an excuse to own one that covers each category. Just like Need and Want are not the same...we'ed have to live in a one gun universe for that to happen.

94 30/30 would have to be right up there simply for what it has achieved as a reliable workhorse rifle for many decades. Also anything that also has the dual usefulness as a pistol cartridge for those that are able/allowed to carry one.

But my softest spot for all leverguns falls to the Winchester 1886. It has such lovely lines and a good action. But I absolutely love my 94 BigBore .375. Mild kicking, reasonable ballistics, does what I ask.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I carry a 94 more than the 86, and likely could find more use for the 94. Yes the 86 can kill bigger critters, but for day in day out use, the 94 is hard to beat.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

It is the one I have in my hands at the time, they are all good!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote:No doubt about it... it's the Winchester 94 in .30-30. If it weren't so useful, why would it have been the most popular model rifle ever sold? It ain't even a contest. Everyone has to have one, for it'll do just about every job needin' done... and what it won't do... probably doesn't NEED done. Sure, for more specific things, there might be better choices... but for the sheer scope of what it's capable of, in the package it's presented in... nothing comes close.

From gatherin' table meat, to competition & law enforcement, the ocassional varmit hit, the sad, but necessary herd thinnin' duties, to self-defense, the Winchester .30-30 performs 'em all. Whether carried in the hand, a saddle scabbard or the "ever-ready, heavy-duty" rifle rack, it's comfortable and close to hand.
exactly! :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Fiddler wrote:Most useful?
That's easy!
My Marlin 39A stays loaded and ready to go outside and deal with the never-ending parade of varmints attacking my veggie garden and fruit trees. All the rest of my weapons are more or less "safe queens" only seeing the light of day on occasional range trips.
I'd say the "most useful" gun is one that actually gets used!

+1
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll quibble between "most useful" and "most used".

My most useful vote goes to a pair of .356Win, one is a Marlin 336, the other is a Winchester Model 94. When something absolutely, positively, has to be dead I go to the .356. Neither gun has ever failed me.

Most used is a Model 94 in .30-30 in a Trapper config. I would have voted for the 1894C in .357, but the truth is that since I started using the Trapper, I've pretty much stopped using the .357.

Now, my favorite just to shoot is a Marlin 1895CB...

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

For me the Winchester 94 in 30-30 is it hands down :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Most "used" would be my B92 in .357 mag, it's with me every day I'm at the farm...but I'm not expecting to shoot anything larger than a dog or two-legged coyote.

Most "useful"...it'd be a toss up between my '86 .45-70 or the '95 .30-06 I'm working on. I haven't got to shoot either of them enough to decide, but I'm leaning towards the '86. The '95 has a much flatter trajectory and is lighter, but the ability to load from a pipsqueak load to a roaring lion in the '86 is probably the deciding factor. Neither will ever see glass so I'm saying the '86.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Winchester '94 in 30-30.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Win 94 in 30-30. The why fores and where comes have already been mentioned.

joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

MY Winchester 30-30 Trapper.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've yet to wring it out and load for it, but the most useful tag will prolly go to a Model 88 in .284.......The 9422 will be one of the most shot, I'm sure. As Joe said, a good 45-70 is very flexable....and you can do it all with a 30WCF......Dang, this is a tough question. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Man oh man, have I been waffling back and forth while reading the responses! I'm not sure 'most useful' is also most used. But I'm not sure its not!

My mind immediately jumped to my .348. Not much out there MORE USEFUL. Short range, long range, from bunnies to bulls depending on the load.

But then again, my '86 in 45-70 is terribly useful as has already been mentioned.

But doggone it, the rifle(s) that are ALWAYS are out of the safe, ALWAYS being used is a pair of Marlins Cowboys in .44. One 20" and one 24", both with Williams receiver sights. One or the other is always with me and in my hand much of the time. Light loads handle the light chores or load it up to 1800fps or more with a 260gr cast and that is what I use much of the time for elk. I'm very comfortable with it out to what would be considered very long ranges for a .44.

I'm not sure if there is much out there that is more useful for ME.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Malamute wrote:I carry a 94 more than the 86, and likely could find more use for the 94. Yes the 86 can kill bigger critters, but for day in day out use, the 94 is hard to beat.
+1 For most anything south of the 40th or so parallel (My Browning or Rossi .44 Mag as a close second, but I like the thuhty-thuhty's greater reach and, ultimately, versatility) North of the 40th, my '86. the Guide Gun is a fine one; if I had one, I'd take that if "purposefully" heading out on a hunt in brown bear country. The '86 as a "just in case" camp gun.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Man what a loaded question!!.... I don't think I could pick a most usefull. First thought was a .30/30, then a .22mag popped into my head, then someone had to mention a .357, and so on and so on.

The fact of the matter is that if a shooter is a reloader "just about" any centerfire can be loaded from mouse to moose (OK, not quite moose but big deer and black bear) and it's really gonna come down to the platform and less the cartridge it shoots.

To me the most usefull would have to be any centerfire from .30 to .45 in a trapper configeration.

LK
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been thinking about this my Marlin LTD III / .45-70 is the most useful and can fill just about any need from plinker to bear killer.

Right behind that is my Winchester '92 .32-20.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! Interesting answers. I really thought the 1895 Guide gun would get the most votes, but it seems the Grand Old 94 takes that claim with the 1886 right behind it.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

My '94 Wrangler .44 Magnum is the most used around here. It goes nicely with my 4" 29, or one of my .44 Vaqueros.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Out here it would have to also do longish range deer. 300, 308, 250, 243.? Maybe the 300 or 308 for the ability to use heavier bullets.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like my "El Tigre" 44-40. I don't mind banging it around. It is very accurate and good twiner cartridge. I can buy the SASS cartridges for everyday use or factory soft nose for bigger game. I loaded up on both a few years back.

"That'll Be The Day"
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

While the only levergun I currently own is a rossi 92 in 44 magnum, I'd say that the most useful for everyday use would be a marlin 336 in 30-30.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

For where I live here in Southern Illinois, by far the most useful to me is one of my Marlin 39A .22s.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Speaking for myself- 94 Winchester in 30 WCF.

From 135 grain cast on up through the heaviest jacketed bullets, it will handle anything from quail on the ground through getting the winter's meat past 200 yards. It has been, and remains, a friend in troubled times.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Fun question & no wrong anwsers really... I'm picking a 16" M92 in .44 Special. Loaded up or down, it will work for what I do or need done. And the stubby case is easier to load then the longer ones.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
N40W111
Levergunner

Post by N40W111 »

Well, I live in the western US...mostly desert with alpine forests above me. I'm inclined to go with a .357 mag for most because of it's ability to load down to .38 Specials for smaller game and full house .357 for CLOSE UP black bear...marginally. There are lots of bear in the area but it's still a privilege to even see one. My biggest predator mostly encountered when out in the bush here is coyote and a lonely cougar once in a blue moon...also a privilege experience. Our mule deer are far larger than eastern US whitetail but a hot loaded .357 UP CLOSE will bag one. Lots of antelope here but you'd need a .270 or maybe a 30-30 on the low end to get anywhere near them. They love open grasslands and fields with lots of yardage between them and predator cover areas. The old 1820's trapper diaries from this region stated that the antelope was the meat of "last resort"...tastes terrible.
My choice is a trapper Rossi .357 Model 92.
I'd love to get my hands on a few of the beater Winnie 30-30's that Cabela's has here at the moment. Around $350.00...I might spring for one.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seems like the venerable 94 30-30 is the most common pick here - think I have owned at least 5 of them and 6 94s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think it depends on one's locality, and of course shooitng opportunities. I own 1886's, 92, 94's 71's, etc, but here in Arkansas, it's the Browning BLR carbine, with a 2x7 Leupold on it, for me, because it has both long range capabilities, and quick handling, short range capabilities, and the scope gives me the ability to find my prey, at dusk, and dawn, or partially hidden in the grass, weeds, brush, etc.

I love all of the other guns, my second choice is an iron sighted pre-64 model 94, 30/30.

But when I really want to get something killed, I usually grab the BLR, because I have shot it so much, and I have a better chance of making the shot, no matter the conditions.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Guess I'll have to agree on the Win '94 chambered for the venerable .30-30 cartridge even though my current favorite is .444 Timber Carbine and my old '94 Trapper chambered in .44 Mag goes on every expedition since I first acquired it some 20+ years ago. But, my '94 .30-30 has been doing all that too and I would not be afraid to take it anywhere in North America...heck, I have!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

LastMo, mine in 243 is the best I have for hitting the golf balls at 100 yds that someone seems to leave on the range.

quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

I live in Colorado, so my 338 Marlin Express wins for a hunting gun.

But if was to try and be objective and take a look at the overall picture, I'd have to pick a different rifle. The gun that can do anything from home defense in an rural and urban area to hunting deer, elk at close range, or even bear, farm defense against critters, varmint hunting to about 150 yds, and even turkey hunting, would be a lever in 44 mag.

Not as long range as a 30-30 but you can still take game with them. Loaded correctly will not penetrate through to a neighbor's house in an urban area. Loaded hot & heavy can take on a bear, and has taken game for a number of years. Seems to be the jack of all trades, master of none. The reason I didn't pick the 30-30 is I looked into loading it down for home defense in an more urban setting. Found out this requires loading it so light, you can easily wind up with squib loads. Tis why I bought a pistol caliber lever to compliment the 338MX
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Savage wrote:LastMo, mine in 243 is the best I have for hitting the golf balls at 100 yds that someone seems to leave on the range.

yep, it's always fun shooting at reactive targets, with a centerfire, and those BLRs can usually get the job done. We don't have any golf balls, but usually end up setting up some sand stones of various sizes at long range. It's fun to here the smack, and see the puff of sand stone dust, when you get a good hit. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Old Savage wrote:LastMo, mine in 243 is the best I have for hitting the golf balls at 100 yds that someone seems to leave on the range.

Yes, it's always fun shooting at reactive targets, with a centerfire, and those BLRs can usually get the job done. We don't have any golf balls, but usually end up setting up some sand stones of various sizes at long range. It's fun to hear the smack, and see the puff of sand stone dust, when you get a good hit. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron