UPS breaks another one UPDATE!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

UPS breaks another one UPDATE!

Post by dkmlever »

I sold the 1886 EL on this forum and shipped it last week UPS. Yesterday it arrived, today it was unpacked and with NO damage to the outside cardboard box, or the inside oringinal factory box, the rear stock at the wrist is cracked!
I did insure it, and filled a claim ASAP verbally to actually a very nice women in customer service. She said they will send someone to the buyers location to inspect the box and rifle to make a determination. Any advice on how to make sure they pay? I contacted Winchester and a rear replacement is $400 with shipping. Would they pay the charge to a gun shop to install the new one?
Last edited by dkmlever on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPS breaks another one

Post by FWiedner »

Having had a substantial amount of experience with UPS, I predict that they will observe and document the lack of damage to the packaging and tell you that you packed it improperly (inside the box) and they will probably refuse to pay on your claim.

I hope that I'm wrong.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yep - they'll deny your claim as a matter of policy.

And you'll pursue it.

You might as well tell them you know all of this when they arrive!

Might save time..........

-Tom
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And the next time, use USPS instead of UPS.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pete44ru wrote:And the next time, use USPS instead of UPS.
I agree with Pete--Not trying to "close the barn doors after the horse got out" but UPS really sucks anymore---plus, for a stinkin' $15 or $20, it really pays to buy a plastic hard case and ship the whole thing in the cardboard box the hard case came in. Saves a lot of aggravation.

For expensive rifles, I've shipped 'em in $50 cases and told the guy to keep it---everybody is happy and most of all, no ag.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm sorry for the loss, but UPS will undoubtedly call you on the undamaged box. I don't ever use their services to handle anything of value, especially a long arm. The gorillas that work there are among the worst package handlers that I have ever experienced. Like you have been advised, use the USPS any time you ship a long gun, not a handgun. Never, under any circumstances, label the package contents.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Jahrs
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jahrs »

Pete44ru wrote:And the next time, use USPS instead of UPS.

Is it true that a government agency can do something better than the private sector? This must be a first.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I much prefer FedEx. My local hub has never given me any grief, and make it easy to ship. Never had any problem with damage with FedEx either. The gals at the Post Office always seemed to get all frazzeled with the mention of a firearm.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[The gals at the Post Office always seemed to get all frazzeled with the mention of a firearm.]

And, shame on anyone who's naive enough to mention "firearms" when mailing a gun (USPS) - no disrespect meant, Ted.

Anyone who does so, does it at their own risk - and is IMHO akin to boasting: "Look at me - I'm shipping a GUN ! "

Of course, non-gun persons would get nervous/upset - I get distressed, myself, just thinking about it.

Unlike the private carriers (UPS/FEDEX/etc), whose paperwork asks for a contents description, there is NO SUCH obligation to describe or reveal the contents of a USPS parcel, unless it falls under the specific categories every Postal Clerk will verbally ask:
Does your package contain anything FRAGILE, PERISHABLE, FLAMMIBLE, or EXPLOSIVE ?

FWIW, I often have my USPS gun parcels marked "FRAGILE", and insure them.

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It makes my stomach turn every time I think about something like this. I've read many a complaint in the past 5 years regarding shipping long arms via UPS. I'm so paranoid now I will not ship anything using them.

So another big +1 for USPS which I use exclusively for any lever gun I sell.

In the last month I've shipped a Win 94 Legacy 45Colt to a buyer in N.C. and a Trailsend 44mag to a buyer in Nebraska.

Put them in some cheap black plastic rifle cases I got for $10 at a yard sale. Removed the stocks from the rifles. Placed styrofoam around the pieces to keep from shifting.

Taped the address label directly on the outside of the case and zip-tied all the locking holes.

Shipped them using Parcel Post and insured each for $800. Shipping was $26 each and they arrived at their destination within 4 days.

Both the FFLs and the buyers said they arrived in 100% condition as stated.

I think there should be a sticky in the Classified section for shipping long guns just as a warning to both buyer and seller. It might save everyone a good bit of grief in the future.

Just for informational purposes... I believe it is against federal regulation to have anything written/printed on a firearm package that would indicate it contains a firearm.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Pete44ru wrote:[The gals at the Post Office always seemed to get all frazzeled with the mention of a firearm.]

And, shame on anyone who's naive enough to mention "firearms" when mailing a gun (USPS) - no disrespect meant, Ted.

Anyone who does so, does it at their own risk - and is IMHO akin to boasting: "Look at me - I'm shipping a GUN ! "

The one time I used USPS I had packed the rifle in a hard case, it's pretty obvious what's in it even though I didn't announce to her. She asked, and I answered honestly. Maybe that was my problem. Been very happy with my FedEx so I don't see USPS or UPS getting any of my future business.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

+1 on taking the buttstock off; the sideways leverage applied during package mishandling isn't something guns are designed for.

Bubble-wrap the sight areas if possible, and the stock pieces.

The shorter and fatter the final package, the harder it will be to harm.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Sorry for your loss, but I gotta ask, why in the world would anybody ship a gun with a two piece stock without taking the buttstock off? I have shipped my CAS rifles, Marlin 1894s bunches of times with no issues, BUT, I made a special crate to do so, and it has made 8 trips via UPS etc). the box cost little and took an hour to build.

Half a sheet of "damaged" panelling I got for $4, and a couple of 1X3 firrings, some pipe insulation and a handful of drywall screws.

The lid gets screwed on and the top is marked "open this side". All the edges get taped with either duct tape or a tape gun. It has not failed yet.....

I made a similar box to ship a rolling block that is an irreplaceable antique. No issues.
Certified gun nut
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My recently received, very expensive, 1886 Winchester was shipped via FedEx. The box was torn on one end, but the rifle, packed in only a soft case, was fine. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the box was opened. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Thanks all for your feedback. I "thought" I had packed it fairly well, but I shodl have tested it by dragging it around with my tractor for an hour or so. :roll:
UPS is supposed to inspect today, I will let all know what happens.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I sent a split-cane fly rod, built in 1932 by a noted maker and valued at $1200, to the right guy to make a needed repair (rod has the original brass-capped tube, sock and hang tag). When it was returned, the USPS triangle box was banana-shaped. The tube had been slammed on its end so hard the threaded brass cap on the rod tube had jumped half a thread and cross-threaded. I had to use a Spanish cedar block and a moll to jam the brass rod-tube cap back over that half-thread so I could remove it to inspect the rod. The delicate rod tips survived, and it was well-packed, including tissue inside the rod tube.
This thing happens all the time - on the bamboo fly rod board, rod builders tell horror stories of 120-hour rods being driven over by Brown Teamster trucks. Also plenty of stories of neatly repackaged empty tubes being delivered, but that's a different story. But that's how you have to pack it - not drag it around behind your tractor, drive over it with your tractor - if you don't, the Brown Teamsters will...
Last edited by bdhold on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Usually Pieces Scattered 3rd party insurance provider will always say "insufficient packaging", no matter how well it was packaged.

I too have switched to USPS, for all firearms.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack,

Perhaps you should engineer a universal lever gun shipping crate and sell them. Considering how will they hold up it would be money well spent.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Another person who absolutely will not use UPS for anything.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I always thought UPS stood for United Parcel Smashers!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Packaging is everything when shipping something! I have seen a computer bent into a horseshoo by shippers! They only have one concern. Seeing too it that the pieces arive where they were shipped too. No matter to them if they will never again do there job. If it got there job done. :(
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

The USPS manual gives the Postmaster the right to have you open the package to prove to them the gun is unloaded. Been a while since I read it, but postal regs require you to notify the postmaster you are shipping a gun. He also has the right to a copy of the receiving FFL. We had a jackass for a PM locally and I had to beat him by going over his head. Dipstick fianally retired and the new PM has no problem, only insisting on that copy of the receiving FFL, which I certainly don't mind. I also prefer shipping in a hard plastic case in the cardboard box it came in. I use MTM Bow cases sometimes, works well.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

When I ship a gun...I take the stock off and bubble wrap both pieces...
and put in a shorter oversized box...and right fragile all over the box...
and insure it....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Another way to keep UPS honest is to have them pack it for you. They have a hard time claiming insufficient packing when they did the deed but they do charge a pretty penny for their services. That said, I'm with the guys who suggest an inexpensive hard gun case as the main packing material. It makes the buyer happy when they see it and it keeps you happy when you get good feedback and have no issues with the shipping and/or your buyer.

Sadly, those who pack poorly are often the same blokes who complain about a $30 standard shipping charge. I guess it figures...

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

No contact from UPS on Friday or Saturday as promised. I will followup up with them on Monday first thing but I have no hope (after your answers) of having them pay.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

dkmlever wrote:No contact from UPS on Friday or Saturday as promised. I will followup up with them on Monday first thing but I have no hope (after your answers) of having them pay.

Nonetheless, it never hurts to ask.

The worst that can happen is they might say 'no'.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: UPS breaks another one UPDATE!

Post by dkmlever »

Well, what do you know, miricles do happen! UPS inspected the boxes used to pack the 1886 and declared it was packed "without deficincey", and they ARE GOING TO PAY THE INSURANCE CLAIM. How long that takes or what all is involved, I don't know but they assigned me a claim number and said they will mail me a form.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Quick, go buy a powerball ticket before your signs change!!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's the first time I heard of them manning up the first time around. Good deal!
NRA Life Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That's outstanding!

Sometimes I don't mind being wrong.

:mrgreen:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shameless plug:

I will haul pretty much anything, anywhere for $3/mile. $1million in cargo ins., but it may have company back there, must be to and from a physical addr. Payment in advance. :twisted: :P :D :D :D

Rush jobs, slightly higher! :shock:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jdomin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jdomin »

I am the buyer of the 1886 that was damaged. UPS inspector came to my home he couldn't have been more helpful or honest. He saw it was shipped in the original box and double boxed with another cardboard box. He said UPS would cover the claim. Lesson learned , If your shipping in the original box wrap it in bubble wrap and then put it another box.I will continue to use UPS.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

When I worked at Cabelas (in the Gun Library) we shipped tons of firearms, alot of them very expensive. We used Fed-Ex at that time, and I have never seen a company break, bend, or totally smash guns like these guys. In the end, I was putting my initials somewhere inside the box because the gun would make it to it's destination with NO EXTERIOR DAMAGE to the box, but the firearm would be smashed. I truly believe they were damaging the guns and then repacking them and continuing the shipment. I had 1 WInchester arrive at it's destination with NO padding in the box, and the gun was splintered. Luckily, my initials were not found in the box, and I saved the company some money because they paid the claim. Too bad the customer only got a refund, instead of a Model 88 carbine in .284, like new in it's original box.....
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"