Hearing Protection

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Hearing Protection

Post by BC in TN »

Guys - I'm in need of a couple of pair of hearing protectors; my old sets are just worn out and I really noticed this recently while shooting. Seems the foam is beginning to deteroriate.
I'm interested in what forum members would recommend - what you've bought lately in hearing protection and if you've been satisfied - basically what you got and how you like them.
I want to stay about $50.00 or less per pair.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by J Miller »

BC in TN wrote:Guys - I'm in need of a couple of pair of hearing protectors; my old sets are just worn out and I really noticed this recently while shooting. Seems the foam is beginning to deteroriate.
I'm interested in what forum members would recommend - what you've bought lately in hearing protection and if you've been satisfied - basically what you got and how you like them.
I want to stay about $50.00 or less per pair.
Welcome to the forum.

I use Silencio and Gun Muffler ear muffs. Both have worked well for me.

About 3 years ago the foam in the Gun Muffler muffs did what yours is doing.
So my wife and I carefully removed it, spread it out on a sheet of paper and made a template. Then using a piece of dense egg crate foam we cut out new foam inserts. They work great again. Cheap fix.
I've been told that some of the companies that make ear muffs will sell replacement foam inserts, but I don't have any links to verify that.

Here is a link to the Peltor company. They have all sorts of hearing protection.
http://209.200.67.149/aosafety.com/shoo ... ear_03.htm

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use the foam throw aways. I cant abide muffs when shooting rifle or shotgun. I have muffs in my shooting kit to wear when doing RSO duty. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Howard Leight Impactâ„¢ Sport Earmuff - $59 Cabela's - best so far, in that they are a bit quieter as far as electronic hiss than the Peltor's I have - but my Peltor's are 10-15 years old, and very well made also. I think the Peltor's use N and the Leight's use AA, but you literally will replace the batteries every 4-5 years most likely and both kinds are inexpensive. I've only had the Leight's about a year, but when I first got the Peltor's I had some dumb questions to ask about them, and the guy at the company seemed like one of those guys you get who REALLY knows how the product works, and was willing to back up his advice with a new product if he was wrong (sounded to me like after wearing them 4 hours the volume got less, but it really was just my hearing 'accomodating') I tested them as he suggested (left them on 48 hours at top volume, and THEN put them on for the first time) and of course they DID amplify fine. Gotta love good product support.

ALSO - I have lots of Silencio's, and when I called them to ask if you could order new foam and pads - they simply asked how many muffs I had (6 I think) and whether I wanted regular or 'new gel' type. I asked if there was a cost difference, and she said - no charge for either! Now I have six "new" Silencios for guests or friends or when using power tools. Needless to say, I like Silencio now for the 'un-amplified' muffs.

I keep foam ones handy also, and actually put them under muffs if shooting really LOUD guns - NEVER :shock: shoot a .30 Carbine Blackhawk unless you have dual hearing protection and arms that reach into the next county.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paratrooper Dave
Levergunner

Hearing Protection

Post by Paratrooper Dave »

I agree with J. Miller on his recommendation of Peltor products.

Recently Dave Petzal of F.&S. pointed out the superb performance of a Peltor product; the H10. The H10 is an ear muff type protector and is rated at a 30decibel reduction. Dave also mentioned that the H10 was about $17.50.

Well, I recently purchased two H10's for about $20.00 each and they perform their sound reduction tasks just as Dave Petzal said.

The Peltor H10 is a great product at a very attractive price. You can't go wrong with them.

You can purchase H10's at your local industrial safety products dealer.

Paratroopoer Dave
DAVE L.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The Peltors are darn good hearing pro. Unfortunatly ear muffs bug the heck out of my with my glasses on so I end up using the foam disposables.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use molded ear plugs made of a plastic mix by an audiologist. Work great. Plumb deaf if used in conjunction with my Peltors.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I use electric muffs at the range. Being a bit deaf they help to amplify comments like "ha ya missed again"

In the field I just use foam throw away plugs. I wish I had done so years ago!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

huh???? what you say?????? Had my hearing tested yesterday at work. Out of several hundred people, I rated the lowest. Thanks to stupidity on my part and naiveness on the part of my schoolers when I was a youngster. Use something, especially the younguns--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Use something, especially the younguns--------Sixgun
+1

Welcome aboard!

Bottom line - what is your hearing worth to you? Hate to be blunt, but pretty cheap if you are only willing to spend $50 tops. You can get good hearing protection for that, but you can also get a lot better for a bit more.

One thing no one should scrimp on is their eye and ear protection.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/C ... PROTECTION

$9.99 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they work find. Little Hiss if turned to the loudest setting.
Had a pair for two three years. There are with me there six pair in the
family. I know they cannot be the best but for the money they work.
Look in Midway under cadwall and Cabela's also there there. they get
$30 $40 bucks for the same thing

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=142725

I was so inpressed with these I tried a set of cheap ear plugs
from WM for $29. Peice of stuff don't buy them. :oops:
if you can buy 6 pair of muffs for say $200 a pair great. If $10 protects ones hearing with a little hiss what the heck. But then I been know to wear 50 cent ear plugs.
I'm also telling you the Wal-Mart $29 electronic plugs are thing that
don't protect your hearing.
Last edited by gregg on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

When I work as a RSO I use a pair of the electronic muffs. When shooting outdoors or indoors with a 22 rimfire I use a pair of 29dB muffs. Indoors with centerfire I add a pair of the disposable non-foam plugs under those muffs.
After shooting, I put the high powered (well over 50dB of increase) BTE hearing aids back in. When I got them several years ago they were over $1200 each. And I was getting the least expensive digital design I could find. To echo one of the other posters, don't go cheap when you are protecting your hearing or your eyesight.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've thought I'd like to have a pair that would enhance my hearing when they were on and protect my hearing as well.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yep... I wear good quality foam ear plugs, with Peltor Ultimate 10's over them. (they go by a bunch of numbers, same product though)
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

I have and have used electronic muffs. You can keep em.
(cas, professional gun going off all day long listener to 'er) :wink:
Slow is just slow.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use the throw away foam types and the electronic muffs together. My muffs are some from Gander mountain for about $30. They use AA batteries and work ok for me. I am a little paranoid about losing more hearing than I have already lost from keeping 1 plug out so that I could hear my Seargeant yelling at me to shift fire while shooting over the heads of my platoon in live fire exercises. That M60 was loud! I guess my Sergeant did good because I never hit my own troops, but I sacrificed a lot of the hearing in my right ear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Woodrow
Levergunner

Post by Woodrow »

For hunting I use the EP-3 Sonic Defenders from Surefire. They do not enhance sound but allow you to hear normal sounds then muffle loud noises. They are comfortable to wear and actually work.

For the range I use the Howard Lieght Max earplugs with a good set of standard muffs.

Woodrow
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

My 6 year old goes with me to the range a lot and we both wear a pair of muffs while shooting 9mm or .38spec or smaller. When I bring out the magnums I make her wait in the car. When shooting those I put in foam plugs and the muffs.

What is the best muff I can get for her? She is too small for the foam plugs.

Also I recently bought her a pair of safety glasses. I never wore any and still don't but I do wear polycarbon prescription lenses. I'm still uncomfortable with the Nanny State.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

http://www.elvex.com/hearing-protection.htm

I got some muffs for work from these guys, they are better than the regular shooting muffs I bought. Now I use theirs when shooting.

It seems all muffs are about 30 db max, but they do vary in frequencies they favor.

I got several and they are all good, plus you can buy the foam ones in bulk and they're very cheap.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
10gaOkie
Levergunner

Post by 10gaOkie »

Thanks to Gregg! I went over to Harbor Freight yesteday and bought two pairs of the $9.95 (Sale Price, reg. $19.95) Western Safety electronic muffs. I am impressed to say the least. I tried out both pairs at an indoor range with a 357 revolver, they performed beautiful. They seem to be equal to my old David Clark muffs for sound protection but not quite as comfortable. Response time is quick. If they last, they are an exceptional buy.
Previously, I bought two pairs of the Caldwell electronic muffs from Midway and ended up sending them back.
Chris