Lee Handheld Reloaders????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redrider03
Levergunner

Lee Handheld Reloaders????

Post by redrider03 »

I live in a small apartment with no room for a reloader so I was looking into the Lee Handheld reloaders that they have. Cabelas sells two models. The Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit for 39.99 plus what ever dies I need. And the Lee Classic Loader Kit for the caliber I want for 24.99. Has anyone had any experience with either of them. I dont shoot alot so the slow process doesnt bother me and I only need it in .45 Colt so the one caliber restriction of the classic doesnt bother them. Here are the links for them. Thanks and your help is apprecited

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee Handheld Reloaders????

Post by Andrew »

I have that Lee 'nutcraker' press and it works just fine; slow but fine. If you are worried about room you might try what I did. I got a small single stage press and mounted it to board, then mounted the board to my computer desk. It comes right off and goes out of the way but works much faster than the Lee 'nutcracker'.

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

check prices at midwayusa.com., and between those two, you definitely want the hand press.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The hand press really is much more versatile, although I reloaded the first several thousand rounds of .44 Magnum (for revolver and rifle) I ever reloaded with one of the little 'mallet' kits, and they were just as good as any I've since turned out on a Dillon RL550B, Rockchucker single-stage, or Lee Classic Turret (the latter being my favorite).

If you get a hand press, consider drilling a hole on the side of the ram to allow spent primers to 'fall out' the side; otherwise they tend to clog under the shellholder and you sometimes must slide out the shellholder to dump them out.

The little 'mallet' kit might just be something to get and keep in an emergency kit, although spare ammo may be a more practical thing to keep in it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The best choice of the two is by far is the Lee Hand Press. It does take a bit of effort to use but is far better than the Classic Lee Loader kit.

I have both.

The Classic kit requires hammering every step of the way including seating the primer. It's gets OLD very fast. And I'll bet your neighbors in the apartment building would lynch you after the first box.

However I also sometimes put my extra presses on a 2x4" and then C-clamp them to a table. This works great for handgun calibers and just like Andrew's set up you can take it down and put it away till you need it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I use both. I started with the Lee Loader, a pound of Bullseye, some primers, a box of brass, generic lead bullets and of course, a hammer. I made up a LOT of ammo with that set up before I went to a single stage press. I use the Hand Press when my other presses are set up and I don't want to change them, or for a small run of ammo (50 or so rounds). I've used the Hand Press for seating gas checks/sizing with the Lee push through dies and I got as good of results as I think possible. You can do just about anything on the Hand Loader thay you can do on a single stage, 'cept size the really big boys. Both the Lee Loader and the Hand Loader will produce ammo as good as any, maybe a little slower than a progressive, but still good ammo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc not too slow!

EDIT: Plus the Handloader uses standard 7/8"-14 dies.
Last edited by mikld on Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Hand Press.....Killer exercise for your upper body, as well 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

lyman makes a combo hand held and bench model (Acculine) I have a lee hand press but prefer my lyman 310 for pistol and rifle they go any where with you. danny
Midway carries them and of course lyman
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,190.html
Last edited by BigSky56 on Thu May 13, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BigSky56 wrote:lyman makes a combo hand held and bench model (Acculine) I have a lee hand press but prefer my lyman 310 for pistol and rifle they go any where with you. danny
I was looking at the 310, but it seemed like you have to use their dies and there were not that many different calibers.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Yes, I believe the Lyman press requires dedicated 310 dies The Lee hand press takes standard dies, which will move up with you on your next press...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Go with the handpress kit and a decent set of dies from RCBS,Hornady etc. If that kit doesn't come with the auto prime tool get it, a scale and the perfect powder measure.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Blaine, The current calibers are limited to a handful but there are several older dies available they make them in all the lever calibers. danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BigSky56 wrote:Blaine, The current calibers are limited to a handful but there are several older dies available they make them in all the lever calibers. danny
With 30WCF, .44 mag and 45-70, what more would you really need if one were downsizing? I'd still need the hand press....You can't find .284 anyplace anymore, and if you could it's 60 bucks a box :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Blaine 30-30, 45colt and 357 just about covers it for me if I could find some 348 & 300 savage dies I would be topped out heres a link to a guy that has alot of 310 tongs and dies. danny
http://www.the310shop.com/
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

I've been reloading about six years and the Lee hand press is all I've used. I reload between 300 and 500 rounds a year. I'm well satisfied with the hand press.

PS Welcome to the forum!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

BlaineG wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:Blaine, The current calibers are limited to a handful but there are several older dies available they make them in all the lever calibers. danny
With 30WCF, .44 mag and 45-70, what more would you really need if one were downsizing? I'd still need the hand press....You can't find .284 anyplace anymore, and if you could it's 60 bucks a box :shock:
Yep I have a 310 in 45-70 works great. The only down side is like said you can only use 310 dies in it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

of the two, the handpress will let you use regular dies so you can do full-length sizing, so you can use the ammo in any rifle of the same caliber.

The cheaper one does neck sizing only, so you would have to segregate your fired brass to make sure they go back to the same rifle. But could be more accurate due to this.

I like the handpress and may go back to it someday. I live in an apartment too but do have room for a turret press right in the living room. If I was married or had a roommate I might not get away with this. The handpress is for the day I no longer live alone, so everything can be put away in a box and slid under the bed.

One idea I was considering is to put some sort of bracket on the wall somewhere, slide the handpress into it for a temporary mounting. Then I'd get all the torque of a mounted press, but could take it down for storage. The press has some flat ridges that would allow this, I'd just have to work it out.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got a Lee hand press and I've got to say I'm very satisfied with it. I've used it to load 45 Colt and 45-70 BPC. Slow, but will definitely get the job done.
Old Law Dawg
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I don't mean to hijack but there is a very neat article on apartment loading setups at the frugaloutdoorsman.com. It goes into his way around this and I thought it was good. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

fordwannabe wrote:I don't mean to hijack but there is a very neat article on apartment loading setups at the frugaloutdoorsman.com. It goes into his way around this and I thought it was good. Tom
That's our old buddy Juniors site. I couldn't get your link to work so I went to my bookmarks and got there by this one: http://www.castbullet.com/

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

I have a few turret presses and enjoy collecting Lee Loaders and Ideal/Lyman 310 gear. I was using the 310 the last two evenings. I enjoy "handloading".
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

BlaineG wrote:The Hand Press.....Killer exercise for your upper body, as well 8)

:lol: That's what I used forming .33 Winchester from .45-70 brass back in the last apartment we lived in before buying our house. My other press was a Bonanza Co-Ax mounted on a 2X6 and C-clamped to the kitchen table; every time I worked the handle with that much load on it there was a pretty good "CLUNK" going into the floor, so used the Lee to keep the downstairs neighbors from getting sore. Was pretty sure I'd end up looking like "De Ahnuld" if I kept that up...the Mrs. probably wishes I had.

Don't know if they still make it, but I've got a Lyman hand press that's not a 310, but sort of a cross between the Lee hand press and a small bench mounted model; it's got holes on the base for fastening down and finger grooves on the back of the body for handheld use, already has a hole in the ram for spent primers to fall out and the handle/linkage setup can be reversed to work on either the up or down stroke. I like it a lot and if I had to give up the rest and have only one that didn't take up much space...

About the Lyman 310 tools; the current caliber offerings are a pale shadow of what they used to offer. Bought an older one at a gunshow not too long ago, in the box with a set of .270 dies for a total of $45. A good look around auction sites and such can turn up some interesting dies for those things.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

redrider03 wrote:I live in a small apartment with no room for a reloader so I was looking into the ...Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit...and the Lee Classic Loader Kit...
Welcome to the fire, Red Rider.

Like several here, I have both. Both do the job, and are excellent for their intended use.

If I were forced to choose just one, I would go with the Lee Hand Press (the portable nutcracker type press). As mentioned, it handles most calibers with standard dies. Besides its ability to produce quality ammunition from cramped quarters, it travels well to the range for working up loads. And it is a great tool if you ever go into survival mode.

Besides being a dandy handheld reloading station for rifle calibers, the Lee Classic Loader Kit is a great fallback tool. Given any future "Katrina" scenario where law abiding folks are disarmed by "authorities, " the small kit and handgun of your choice can be readily carried, packed, and secreted in some small cache.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:The Hand Press.....Killer exercise for your upper body, as well 8)
+1

Full length sizing my .40-90SBN is a REAL WORKOUT!!!! For ease, you might want to keep it to pistol cartridges and use a carbide sizer. For work in a limited area, I really like my Lyman "C" press and Black & Decker "WorkMate" folding bench. I can sit in front of the TV, with the workmate, load ammo, with the computer on the coffee table next to me and chill with my friends on the Forum!

When I get done with the loading... I can holler, "DEAR"!!! And the little lady fetches me a beer!
And if you believe that I have some "soon-to-be-beachfront" property in AZ you might be interested in!!!! :twisted: MAYBE in some OTHER life she'd fetch a beer!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've been reloading for 10+ years and have never had room for a dedicated reloading bench. So all I have ever used is a cheapo Lee press bolted to an old cutting board top from a portable dishwasher which I "C" clamp down to the kitchen table.

I've looked at the hand presses what seems like a thousand times but have never pulled the trigger. To tell the truth, they don't look like something I'd want to use on rifle cartridges because of lack of leverage and the need to still lube cases. One of these days though I'm gonna buy one and set up some powder dipping cups for the .357 and .32M. Figure it would be a great way to spend time on the deck or while camping and everything would store in a small tool box.

LK
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Molasses that lyman loader thats a combo is a Acculine I had one but the nephew took it from me Iam am looking for another one. There's a guy in Texas that will make dies for the 310. danny
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BigSky56 wrote:Molasses that lyman loader thats a combo is a Acculine I had one but the nephew took it from me Iam am looking for another one.
That Acculine sounds intriguing. My friend Mr Google couldn't find any, I take it they are no longer in production?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

AWP, I believe their out of production ebay is where I've seen them, heres a pic of one. danny
http://www.southernhuntingsupplies.com/ ... press.html
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Most of my reloading equipment is made by Lee and I like it. I started on there stuff 30 years ago. I will often sit in front of the TV with the Lee Hand Press popping primers and resizing cases. It is a very handy tool! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BigSky56 wrote:Molasses that lyman loader thats a combo is a Acculine I had one but the nephew took it from me Iam am looking for another one. There's a guy in Texas that will make dies for the 310. danny
Thanks, that was the first link that came up for me as well. Folks must hang on to them. I found a lot of old "for sale" posts but only one current.

If I pass, I'll let you know first BigSky.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

BigSky56 wrote: I believe their out of production
Figures. Seems like whenever somebody makes a great product, they end up dropping production and leaving people going "Hey!, I want one of those!" Well, at least this time, I've got mine!

Thanks for the link about the 310 stuff.

Here's a shot just for purposes of showing the Lyman Acculine and to compare size against the Lee handheld press:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life