Old computer died

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Old computer died

Post by Old Savage »

Now getting using an HP 4 GB, 2.4 mhz, 320 Gb. Interesting looking at about 75 computers and talking to a dozen salesman in two days. :D The old Toshiba had .5 GB and 40 GB died after I backed everything up two weeks ago and finished the taxes. Thanks for that. :D Had it for just over 5 years.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old computer died

Post by 2ndovc »

As long as you saved all those pretty lady photos, all is good!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thank goodness you backed it up! Sure would have hated for you to loose all those pictures of the great looking ladies you associate with:D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

salvo wrote:Thank goodness you backed it up! Sure would have hated for you to lose all those pictures of the great looking ladies you associate with:D
Actually, I disagree; if he would have lost the photos, I'm sure all those lovelies would have flocked to his 'magnetism' or whatever charm thing (...maybe it's some kind of spell :o ) he has going, and he'd have to take MORE pictures he could post for us. 8) 8) 8)

What he really needs to post is his SECRET for attracting flocks of smiling (and therefore beautiful) women; the rest of us could probably learn some useful things under his tutelage. :wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Doc, "Smiling therefore beautiful" we are on the same page!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow. Can you imagine if it had happened just before you finished your taxes!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

So far the only time I lost a hard drive was two days after I spent my entire computer budget for the college semester on upgrading from a 286 to a 486dx2 66. The hard drive was from the old 286. Shut it down and heard this horrible crack. One of the heads had been ripped off and thrown into the side of the case. For the rest of the semester I had this old 10 meg hard drive glarin at me with it's black face plate in a biege case remindin me of just what the situation was.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good thing you backed it all up! I just found my "Lee Shooter" program and finished re-installing on the new computer and entering the gun inventory... time consuming scut work. Wait... 'bout all I'm qualified for! 'Tis good to be needed! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

After checking - pretty ladies all safe and posting same works. :D Now if that mescalero would just return for his favorite. Anyone in touch with that guy???

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Ah Doc, "Smiling therefore beautiful" we are on the same page!
Fred, I'm betting it is because you're always smiling. That would explain my relative lack of success. :lol:

I just had to get a new computer as well. 1GB memory wasn't cutting it. Got 9GB. I used PC Mover which saved me a lot of headaches.

I thought Mescalero was just on here a couple of days ago... :?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

If talking desk tops as opposed to laptops, a trick I was put onto by an IT consultant where I used to work some years ago, was to pull the hard drive out of your old computer and have it installed in your new computer as a second / back up HD.

Even now HD prices have come down, and you can get detatchable HD's relatively cheaply, it is still a useful technique, after all, you never know when you want to get hold of one of those old photos.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie, I see you are right he was here one week ago and one month before that. I think he checks in from an uncles place. And, women like friendly.

Lawyer, I think I will get a hard drive case and make it an extra storage device. One of the young techies told me about that. There are a couple of programs I want to use and it had some extra space.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Get a 1 Terabyte External hard drive and as soon as you get your new one up and running, back it up with Acronis. :wink:
Then rebackup every month or so depending how much important stuff you have on it. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the other hand madman, it's all in the rear view mirror and we are headed for what is in front of us. :) :o

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yep, well said O.S. :wink:
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Being an IT professional for the local school district, (And a licensed business owner doing computer repair) I can tell you that most people DON'T backup their valuable data. Just last Monday, one teacher's HDD failed in his computer. He asked me what info was lost. I told him "Everything." He almost cried. A year's worth of lessons and the latest student's grades were lost.

On my personal computers, the MY DOCUMENTS folder is on a second internal drive. As a nice aside, putting the Page File on a second drive also improves performance.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gary, what is your business?

Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Old Savage wrote:Gary, what is your business?
I specialize in repairing musical equipment for many of the local music stores but I also repair other electronics, like computers, etc. I have a city business license.

My day job(IT professional) supports my family and my small buisiness (Rock & Roll) supports my hobbies. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Gary on Sat May 01, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Wow. Can you imagine if it had happened just before you finished your taxes!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
We would be reading an invective laced post with photos showing what large caliber leverguns do to old computers...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!