Trapper M94 and Tanker Garand

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Trapper M94 and Tanker Garand

Post by Poohgyrr »

I finally took a pic of my one and only Garand. A Tanker in .308, built on a Springfield receiver, that will hit anything I can see, when I do my job. (Of course, I don't see as well as I did 20+ years ago.) It is a sweet, sweet "short rifle" and I wish I had more. The .45 Trapper Lever is so good I suffer the crossbolt button safety thingy. It is real fun for woods carry and to just plain shoot at pine cones or cans or ground squirrels or dinner rabbits. The .308 Tanker is just good to have, and also makes a good truck and camping gun. Both would do fine for the close in deer we find around the cabin.

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trapper M94 and Tanker Garand

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very nice on both accounts! Just picked up a Trapper myself.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nice pair of rifles John. Very versitle.

I traded a Glock 23 for my .45 Colt Trapper, and yes, I too suffer the stupid cross bolt just so I can keep it.

Cat
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

very nice rifles.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Who did the 'Tankerizing' work on the Garand...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Shuff's will make up a Mini-G (aka Tanker) for you if you're reading this and have a hankering.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

The guy who built mine was out of Modesto, CA back in the 1980's, and used to be at our gun shows with a rack of rebuilt Garands and military bolt actions. Forget his name, but the business was Survival "something", and they moved maybe ten + years ago. Even his website disappeared some years ago. If Hobie has a reference then I'd check there - if I have any paperwork with my guys' name it is buried in storage...

Wow, have you checked out Shuff's website? Talk about toys...
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A great pair, should cover about everything.
It is not the critic who counts
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Cross-bolt safeties are an easy fix.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice, I really like that Garand.
Thanks for that link to Shuffs, they have some cool stuff.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote:A great pair, should cover about everything.
+1. Those are very cool!!! 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

one of those shuffs mini g with m-14 clip mod would be the cats meow. Nice combo - love them both
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Nice, I have a Trapper, but mine’s in .44mag and I like it.

Tell us more about the short Garand – as those aren’t seen just everyday.

I too own one of the “shorter” Garands. Mine’s an Alpine .308 Model 11 pre-clips to the Beretta BM-59. I just love it and found one in MINT condition for such a very rare rifle. I especially like that it takes M1A magazines instead of the FAR more expensive BM-59’s.

The Alpine M11 is EVERYTHING the SOCOM always wanted to be - but just aint, and never will be...
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I agree, nice pair.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Very nice in deed. I've been making a wish list for future purchases and a trapper is way up near the top. I've seen a couple tanker Garand and 303s that I liked a lot. One of the Garands was for sell, but our of my range so I thought I should keep looking around. I have been thinking about a tanker Mauser (aka mini mauser) that they are selling at Mitchell's Mausers in 30-06.
It might just make the list.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Was the Tanker Garand a real 'battle field' conversion or was it an after market exercise to boost sales of ex army firearms?

I know in the Australian army many armourers shortened Lee Enfields under battlefield conditions under the direction of soldiers with view to developing 'pseudo' jungle carbines that were more manageable in the rain forest conditions of New Guinea.

Before you could do this you had to have a CO who could see the benefit of this type of improvement.

As a great lover of carbines I think they look pretty cool.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:Was the Tanker Garand a real 'battle field' conversion or was it an after market exercise to boost sales of ex army firearms?
These are aftermarket jobs. They've been shortened as well as the caliber changed if it's one of the 308 versions. Not collectible in any way, but some folks enjoy them for shooting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JB wrote:
Lawyer Daggit wrote:Was the Tanker Garand a real 'battle field' conversion or was it an after market exercise to boost sales of ex army firearms?
These are aftermarket jobs. They've been shortened as well as the caliber changed if it's one of the 308 versions. Not collectible in any way, but some folks enjoy them for shooting.
There was a jungle carbine version but those were apparently destroyed. All those now in existence were created for marketing purposes as was the term "Tanker".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Hobie wrote:
JB wrote:
There was a jungle carbine version but those were apparently destroyed. All those now in existence were created for marketing purposes as was the term "Tanker".
A small handful were made for trials, like many interesting designs it was never adopted. If a person could find one that somehow wasn't destroyed, it would probably be worth a small fortune similar to one of the 45ACP Lugers made for U.S. testing.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hmmmmmmm. Learned something new. I ran across a tanker garand years ago that I tried to pry from the owners fingers but no joy. I thought it was original and I also thought that they were actually issued to tankers. Just guessing I guess.

I really like the tanker and that .308 is a dynamite rifle caliber. Good one.

Grizz