Korean M1 Garands

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Korean M1 Garands

Post by ndcowboy »

I know there were a couple other posts about the M1 Garands that came back from Korea for $429 and thought I would throw out a new one with info I got yesterday. When the rifles were advertised at $429, I called my uncle who helps out at a gun shop and told him, and he ordered three. Yesterday he called and said they were in but not to bother coming in to look at them. In his words, they "look like they sat in water and then were dragged behind a pickup." He didn't know what they were going to do with them - try to clean them up some or send them back - but said they were pretty disappointed. Just a little FYI for what it is worth.
Hobie

Re: Korean M1 Garands

Post by Hobie »

Based on the M1s I saw IN USE in Korea in 1981 when I left, they were already that way. After that they went to the reserves and then to storage. Korean storage. Not to denigrate the Koreans but they don't spend money on storage facilities like we do. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you can get a good one locally you can lay eyes on first, that would be a good deal.
If you can afford a new Fulton Armory build - http://www.fulton-armory.com/ - that would be even better.

Otherwise, I figure that if you have $429 to 'gamble' with, you might get one of four things:
  • a. A serviceable 'shooter' Garand - your lucky day!
    b. A good receiver plus some useable parts, for a 'rebarrel' project - still a pretty good deal...
    c. A few useable spare/backup parts, and that's about it - borderline, depending on which 'parts' are serviceable...
    d. A thoroughly worthless 'junker' - if functional, a 'truck' gun, or a 'decoy' for the livingroom cabinet...
Those Fulton ones are sure purty... :oops: . . . but cost $1,699 - :shock: , for that money, you could buy four of the Koreans, plus enjoy a bit of 'gambling'...
:? ...plus with the Korean(s), you might wind up with a gun you'd not be afraid to scratch, ding, and shoot... :wink:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/MRifles.htm
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Wow. Garands have gone up in price... There is something about handling and shooting one though; a good Garand is kinda like a good Lever.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I got a call from the smith that was going to install a new barrel on mine - said it was rusted on and he was afraid of breaking the receiver... told him to retrun it and I would send back to SOG.

So, obviously, I am not recommending these even for parts kits!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can get the CMP (odcmp.com) RM1 Special for $995 which gets you a arsenal rebuild like new for gun show asking price.

You can have it rebuilt and re-parkerized by Shuff.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So. . . it looks like the answer may often be "d." . . .
d. A thoroughly worthless 'junker' - if functional, a 'truck' gun, or a 'decoy' for the livingroom cabinet...
That's too bad... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know its not no $429 but I would grab somthing like this guy!
By paying tad over twice the price, probably get 4 times the gun?????????
http://www.gunsamerica.com/995983894/Gu ... Garand.htm
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K and I saw a few Garands at the Dixie Gun & Knife show in Charlotte last weekend. None were in very good shape, and the cheapest one we saw was 9 bills. It was a real beater.

All I can say is if you want one, get it now. These are going to do nothing but go up in price...
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:Based on the M1s I saw IN USE in Korea in 1981 when I left, they were already that way. After that they went to the reserves and then to storage. Korean storage. Not to denigrate the Koreans but they don't spend money on storage facilities like we do. :lol:
Who'da thunk the "Blue Sky" imports would have been the cream of the crop... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:All I can say is if you want one, get it now. These are going to do nothing but go up in price...

Yep,
That's why I say if you can find one in mint or very good shape "especially if its an all Springfield Armory for a Grand or so. That's the ticket.
Nothing wrong with the other Mfgs but I myself just prefer the S.A. Mfg.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

You can still find one in good shape, IMHO. I very recently purchased this one for less than twice what those Korean M1's were going for. The serial number dates it to April 1943, being built by Springfield Armory. The barrel that is on it now dates to 1951, also Springfield Armory. I am quite sure the stock was replaced with a new one, probably a Boyd's. The walnut is really quite pretty, if you dare say such a thing about an M1 Garand. I have not shot it yet, but I am pleased so far after a pretty detailed stripping.

Not saying I wouldn't have minded getting this one for $429, but I am happy (thus far) nonetheless.

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks for the heads up----Back in the late eighties? when imports first coming in, I bought a greek job. It had nice wood but was shot out. Sold it shortly afterwards.

Never had one since but this "Pacific" is wearing on me :idea: --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That gun really looks good! :mrgreen:
Fantastic deal!

About 19 years ago that is what my CMP garand was like.(all S.A. and unreal/great shape)I just lucked out.
Then paid $160 :)
Brother got one same time(H&R)so/so shape. Was bummed because he wanted a full S.A. gun.His was mixed mfg parts.(but actually it really didnt look beat up and for $160) It still groups around 2" @ 100yds on bench which heck isnt bad.(The gun did have a new barrel on it)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The CMP Garands going out now are mostly late vintage and in very good shape. Honestly, I just can't see spending $429 on what's turning out to be mostly junk when a good serviceable rifle from the CMP is $600.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Absolutely!
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I am amazed at how Garand's have gone up.

I am used to seeing guns like Ruger Mini 14's which are Cat D here in Australia and heavily restricted, selling for a crazy $2,500, I never thought a Garand would sell for over $1,000.

I gather the Italians also used the Garand after the war. I gather they were made under licence by Beretta and should therefore be rather nice (at least when they left the factory). Have Italian ones hit the disposal market yet?.