Original stock finish on win94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sven556
Levergunner

Original stock finish on win94?

Post by sven556 »

What finish was originally used on win 94 stocks? The rifle in question was manufactured in 1949.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Standard Winchester wood finishing method for that period was varnish.
sven556
Levergunner

Post by sven556 »

Thanks. I was hoping it would be oil or shellac that could easily be touched up. Guess I'll clean it a little and leave it alone. It's really not that bad, just wanted to make a little better!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Sven, oil was a Winchester finish option, too. Even if your stock is finished in varnish, a rub down with a Winchester stock oil/stain will feed the old varnish and the wood itself if the varnish has cracked or thinned sufficiently. Let me know if you need a Winchester stock oil/stain recommendation. I don't have the name off the top of my head but easily can get it for you with a few minutes of digging around among some bottles. Victor/mod71
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

mod71alaska, you might post that anyway as I imagine several could use the info.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

g5m wrote:mod71alaska, you might post that anyway as I imagine several could use the info.
Stock Classic Stock Oil: (Note: Oil is concentrated...see instructions; oil available in the classic Winchester red/brown or brown; )
http://www.winchesterrestoration.com/wi ... r1_003.htm

Refinishing instructions:
http://www.winchesterrestoration.com/st ... tions.html