OT:38super or 9mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

OT:38super or 9mm

Post by dbateman »

ok guys some of you may remember that i moved from one side of the country to the other
well now i have to tranfer my licence from NT to QLD and thort I may as well get a hand gun licence wile
i was at it so here is my qustion I would like a 1911 in 45acp but Au have stupid laws
making it hard to own hand guns over 38cal so i want your opinon 38super or 9mm
what make colt springfield rock river kimber wilson others????
will be used for range work only becous in Au you are not allowed to use them for any other pupose
Thaks for the help again Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:38super or 9mm

Post by mescalero1 »

.38 super is much more problematic than 9 mm.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I think the service life on a 9mm will be exponentially greater than the super.

All of the manufacturers listed make fantastic guns. I love my XDMs.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

At least in my area the 9mm ammo is much more accessible, and half the cost, than the .38 Super.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Glock 17 (9mm) but if you favor the 1911 style I like the Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The 9 will be cheaper to supply and you will have a somewhat greater selection of guns. If you are shooting combat matches 38 Super will make major. If you reload the 38 super will handle bullets to 150 grains and with the modenr barrels can be as accurate as anything else. In power the super will give you a 100 fps or so edge over the 9mm but if all you are shooting is paper it makes no difference. The super is also not considered a MILITARY cartridge in a lot of countries and has a large following in Mexico and South America. If you don't relload you will need to go with the one you can buy ammo for the easiest. If you reload once you have brass it makes no difference. If I couldn't get a 45 I would go with the super or a 357 Sig.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Anything the 9mm will do the 38S will do better. Do you want cheep or do you want performance?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

No doubt the .38's will have the edge,as would the .40 or .45 but I would definetly think the 9mm properly loaded like with the +p or the +p+ stuff and tossing a 115JHP at 1400fps out of a pretty short barreled gun is indeed performance.That with the added fact of carrying a bunch more rounds in somthing like in a Glock!

Be truthful, the 9mm stuff usually I just shoot is the Remington FMJ ammo I get (100rds at Wally World for $19) when they have their ammo sales.(I always keep at least 10 of those)

Oh Boy---------------------See a game changer--
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=83236
2-------sixguns worth plus one in the pipe,of .357 Sig :shock:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't own a "gangbanger special", as the 9mm is called in these parts, but have shot and carried a Colt Combat Commander .38 Super since 1967. I reload, so ammo is not a problem, but if that was not the case I would rethink the situation. Cheap 9mm ammo is available, but the Super can be pricey. Several yrs ago, I picked up a 1000 rd case for $200, and really haven't put a dent in it. I don't shoot competition, so most of my shooting is for practice only. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I would think 9mm would be the choice if you're not
reloading, or if ammunition availablility is limited.

Here in the US of A at the moment, it might come
down to personal preference, especially of price
was no object.

9mm will definitely be cheaper in any case.

-Stretch
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

I'd opt for the 9mm.

ammo is very available and inexpensive. one of the boxes of American Eagle i have says on it: 115 FMJ, 1160 FPS

not bad for factory ammo.

lots of folks will say it's 'anemic' or 'ineffective' or 'lacking' but i wonder why most military and LE worldwide opt for the 9mm? they certainly have a choice.

tests and long term usages have certainly proven that it (the 9mm) IS a performer.

I'm certainly not disputing other calibers, either...just simply saying "Don't underrate the 9mm!"

i already have a Ruger P95DC and would spring for the Beretta 9mm if i ever were to get another.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

dbateman wrote:
.....will be used for range work only becous in Au you are not allowed to use them for any other pupose ...

I think perhaps some missed that point. If in doubt, check ammo prices and availability in your new area, but I would guess that the 9mm will be less expensive and more available. my Dad shot 9mm in some steel plate shoots. He had trouble knocking some plates down with 124 gr loads, but the 147's did fine. If you're shooting paper targets, then the power level difference doesnt mean much. There's likely more variety of ammo for the 9 also, if you want mild target loads, or whatever.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I have both the 9mm and 38 super
Here is what I have noticed
38 super ammo is harder to find and costs much more
38 super can throw a heavier bullet faster and maybe farther
I load both of mine with 124 grain lead and at all most the same fps and see not much difference
If you don't reload don't get the super If you do reload then it is a flip of the coin if you can get the brass.
Both will shoot the same diameter bullet and weights with the super able to handle 150 and 160 grain bullets the 9mm won't
I have both on 1911 frames and actions
I also have the 45 auto so I don't look for speed as a governing criteria as 850-950 fps is the range of my 45 and it works just fine
The big advantage of the super is that is never has been a military round so is not looked on as a military firearm other than that get what you want and never look back.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd go with with the 9. corbon and buffaloe bore have loads that will match or better the 38 super. 9mm is the cheapest and most readilly found ammo for a centerfire. if you can't get it done with the 9, the 38 super won't help, so you'll have to go to .45. 38 super became obsolete with +p+ 9mm 125 and 147 grain loads.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Not all the 9mm can handle the +p or +p+ loads my wife's won't and the manufacturer tells you not to use them in hers and mine says they may or may not work in the particular firearm.
Just because a load is made in your caliber doesn't mean your firearm will handle it and if yours won't and you use it anyway and something going wrong don't look to the manufacturer to pay your bills. As they said it wouldn't handle that load and you ignored it and did anyway.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

well said. make sure your 9mm can handle +p+ loads before you buy it ,if you're goal is to better the 38 super. and don't sue the manufactorer if it don't. :wink:
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow some good replys there hand gun ammo in Australia is expencive so if
Im going to shoot much (have to shoot 6 shoots a year to keep licence) reloading
is the best option 9mm is pretty easy to come by over here cos thats what ADF use and manufactur
I do have a soft spot for the 38 super thow
so I will just have to look around and see what is around
I will be shooting paper and falling plates with gun?
.Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

My experience with the 38 Super is that it is obnoxiously loud. I mean really loud. No one wants to shoot next to you. Also, no one will every give you a free bucket of 38 Super brass but 9mm brass is as common as dirt. A 9mm can be very accurate.
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I've been shooting the Super for a few years and don't find it loud at all, clearly quieter than a magnum revolver, and no different than a hot 9mm.
If you reload, the Super has some advantages, to reach any given power level, the Super will run at lower pressures compared to 9mm. Any 9mm bullet (.355") or .356" bullet will work in the Super. I also use .357" lead bullets.

The longer case of the Super fills a 1911 magazine better and feeds better in 1911's in my experience. Accuracy is superb in my Les Baer.

If your not going to handload, the 9mm is probably the better choice for ammo availability. Also factory .38 ammo is pretty weak compared to what it could/should be. I recently bought some PMC .38 Super 130 grain FMJ's, and they barely broke 1,100 fps. Winchester ammo is better, clocking 1,260 and 1,250 for Silvertips and FMJ-FP's respectively.

My 130 grain plated handloads reach 1,300 fps with no pressure signs, something you can't do with the 9mm.

http://38super.net/
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

mag capacitie isnot an issue ether.....10rd limit in Australia :cry:
Dave Bateman .

Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Dave,

I am an Aussie shooter and I would push you towards the 9mm.

I was smitten with the 38 Super, but realised that I would end up loading mild 38 Super rounds for the range that would be equal to 9mm velocity and performance, so why not just shoot a 9mm.

We are limited in the use of handguns here in Australia, so for target shooting go for the 9mm. I have not regretted buying one.

Two guys in my club shoot 38 Super and they are loud and a little heavy on the recoil. I can shoot 100 to 150 rounds in an evening of shooting and I find the 9mm a mouse to shoot.

Just my two bob's worth.

Pop.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

thanks pop
Dave Bateman .

cwo4uscgret
Levergunner

.38 Super

Post by cwo4uscgret »

mescalero1 wrote:.38 super is much more problematic than 9 mm.
What? I have three 1911s in .38 Super; never, ever a problem. The three are a Colt Combat Commander lightweight, Colt Series 70 MKIV Government, and a Rock Island 1911A1. I've got 4 different .38 Super rounds, including Winchester Silvertips. I've never had one misfire, FTF, FTE; nothing. I find the .38 Super to be my favorite carry round (next to .45 acp) - if I'm not carrying a .45 I'm carrying a .38 Super.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I would recommend the .38 super if you need it for real work. I consider it a magnum 9mm. It was designed to punch holes in vehicles back in the 1920s. I trust it a lot more than 9mm coming out of a pistol. I have one Sig 220 and one single stack 1911, commander size, in .38 Super and am amazed at how accurate they are. Will have to make the decision on what you will use it for the most. Good Luck and sorry you have gotten the short end of the stick on gun laws.
It is not the critic who counts