Rossi or Marlin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Rossi or Marlin?

Post by stretch »

Since 2ndvoc has sold that lovely S&W Model 21 listed on the
classified boards and THAT temptation is gone, I'm considering
another levergun - this time in 357 Mag.

Should it be a Rossi 92, or a Marlin 1894c?

How much should I expect to pay for each used?

New?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. :)

-Stretch
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Rossi or Marlin?

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE ONE OF EACH AND NEITHER WILL EVER BE FOR SALE. HOW CAN WE PICK OR CHOOSE FOR YOU ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well, that's a fat lotta help! :lol:

The dollars will only stretch far enough for one of 'em,
alas.

Mostly huntin' deer, chucks, and some plinking at the range.
Probably no CAS.

I have good loads worked up already for both 38 and 357, so
feeding the critter won't be a problem.

-Stretch
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MARLIN IS THE BEST FIRST CHOICE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both also but my favorite is the Marlin. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty simple in the end - unless you just 'prefer' one over the othe strongly, EITHER will do nicely.

My preference is that if I'm going to scope it or want a Williams FP without drilling and tapping (not at all difficult if you have a drill press and $20-30 for a bit and tap), get the Marlin. If you want a barrel-mounted sight like the factory open one or a Marble's Bullseye, get the Rossi.

Check BudsGunShop.com for good prices on new ones...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have three modern pistol cal carbines.
My Marlin 94P /. 44 mag is my favorite.
My Rossi / .357 is a blast and I love my Win. Trails End in 45 Colt
but the most reliable, versatle and problem free has been my Marlin.
Take it just about everywhere.

jb 8)

By the way, thanks for noticing the Model 21!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Get a Model 92! Of any brand!

Not only is the Model 92 action worlds stronger than the Marlin Model 1894 action, but the forearm is not to fat on a Model 92, and the feed reliability is greater.

I like Marlins, in fact I like Marlins a lot. But I've had nothing but trouble with Marlin Model 1894's and according to a friend heavily involved in SASS, Marlin M-1894 feeding is notoriously unreliable.

Get model 92 and you can safely handload it to levels that would severely stress a Marlin. Read Paco's articles about the .357 Magnum in rifles.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The only pistol caliber Marlin I ever had- an early-80's 94 in .44 Mag -was a dud. Wouldn't group, choked occasionally with JHP's, etc. It was used when I bought it, might have just been a lemon; I don't know. I just know I was gald to get my money back out of it to someone who had been told of its warts.

My Rossi 92 is just as good as the Marlin was sorry. Works much slicker, feeds anything and is much prettier to boot. It also shoots rings around the earlier gun and it groups well with everything I've fed it. It's stout enough for heavy .45 Colt loads. The only negative aspect of it is that it came with a poor set of sights and its oddball dovetails limit the options. That said, Marbles does offer sights for it which will suffice at the ranges such a carbine will usually be employed.

In your shoes, I would buy the Rossi. I will admit to a strong prejudice in favor of Winchesters and the little Rossi is an excellent 'flattery' of that design.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I have a Puma .357 and an EMF Hartford .45 and both are trouble free with the right length and bullet shape. I also have a Chiappa 44-40, wouldn't feed and blew the cases out straight. It has been awaiting repair for too many months now (see thread on this forum). My one and only NEW Marlin was an 1894 Cowboy that had a loose rear sight and crooked dovetail, and when returned to the factory for repair the repair was totally unsatisfactory. That experience turned me off any new Marlin that I can't pick up and eyeball closely. Love my 92 copies and love my old Marlins, so I don't really help any.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm another one with both... getting the picture? :lol:

Roll the dice and start with one or the other. :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stretch wrote:Since 2ndvoc has sold that lovely S&W Model 21 listed on the
classified boards and THAT temptation is gone, I'm considering
another levergun - this time in 357 Mag.

Should it be a Rossi 92, or a Marlin 1894c?

How much should I expect to pay for each used?

New?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. :)

-Stretch
Stretch,
Here's my 2bits worth.
Both the Rossi 92 and the Marlin 1894 C are good rifles. They do the same thing and function basically the same.
I've had a Marlin 1894CS which is the early 1894C with the Safety. It fed 90% of what ever I stuck in it up to and including some semi wadcutters. Some were just finicky, others just wouldn't feed. All jacketed bullets and most other lead bullets fed just fine.
Once I figured out which bullets it did not like performance was quite acceptable.
The only Rossi 92 I owned was chambered for the .45 Colt and it was a LEMON from the start go.
So I'm a bit jaded about Rossi's. Some day I'll try another one so I'm not against them.

Strength was mentioned above; the 92 design is stronger than the Marlin, but who in their right mind would load them hot enough to strain a Marlin? Not me that's for darn sure and not anyone I know. I'm not timid with the loads I use, I'm just not prone to push the limits of common sense.

So I'd be tempted by either, but I do lean to the Marlin. I'm not one to scope a lever gun and either, if you buy late model guns, will have to be drilled and tapped for the correct side mount receiver sight. I'm not fond of the top mount sights mounted to far to the rear, or too far to the front which is what happens on the 1894 when you use the scope mounting holes.

How much to pay ..... I have no idea. I'm way out of the loop when it comes to that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Buy neither. :o :?

Find a Browning B-92, this you will never regret :wink:
Last edited by Lefty Dude on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Joe & I seem to have gotten a lemon from each cherry patch. That don't surprise me none. I'm mostly just surprised I didn't wind up with one of each!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

stretch,

Couldn't advise ya. I have two Rossi mdl 92s. Both are fine guns... AFTER I smoothed 'em up aand got the tolerances correct. I know several that have Marlin 1894s... AND had issues. Mostly a cartridge slippin' under the lifter trying to run them fast for Cowboy Actions shoots.

Frankly, I wouldn't take a Marlin 1894 in .357... and love my '92s. However, you have to decide what's best for you. There are others, that I trust, that would say forget the 1892 and take the Marlin.

Pick 'em both up and put 'em to your shoulder. If one feels better than the other... BUT IT. Any issues you find later will be solveable.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Their all good if they go bang but i like the 92 rossi i have about 1000 rounds thru mine not one feed problem, but the absolute best is 1873 much smoother.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've got 2 1894 Marlins made within the last 3 years both are great guns and I see little difference between them and my father in laws early 80's 1894c. They're still blue steel and walnut and wonder of all wonders still MADE IN THE USA. That's still worth something to me.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I know tons of folks swear by the Rossi rifles, but I've never been impressed with the poor workmanship of some of their handguns. I'll stick with my Marlins.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While I love both my Rossis and find that they are better made than friend's new Marlins, I have to agree with 'Lefty Dude' when he said to find a Browning B92.........but only up to a point. Sorry to say it, especially to you Marlin fans, but the current crop of new 'Marlemingtons' are just flat poorly made. They're workmanship and quality is only a shadow of the the older Marlin versions.

I think that Brownings are some of the best '92 pistol caliber leverguns made, however, they are usually very picky concerning ammo length. All the Brownings I've ever seen only like 357mag length ammo and they are also a bit picky on bullet shape. In addition, I've found that just long loading a 38spl case to about 1.500" doesn't help feeding in a Browning either. They just seem to like the 358mag length case better than the 38spl case. That said, find something they like and they are golden.

That's one reason why I went with my Rossis. That and I wanted a 24" oct bbl rifle version as well as a 20" rd bbl saddle ring carbine and I've never seen a Browning 24" rifle version. They and my Rossis will eat anything I try on them. I can run mixed magtubes filled with std length 38spl (1.460" OAL) semi-wadcutters, long loaded 38spl (1.500" OAL) JSP, and full length 357mag (1.590" OAL) JSPs with no problems at all. Heck, my 24" Rossi rifle will even feed a magtube full of mixed 38spl and 357mag empty cases!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I have both & like both. But if I could only have one it'd be a Marlin. No question about it I'm not impartial between the two, I favor Marlins very strongly in general. The Win 92 action is a great one and my Rossi right out of the box was pretty flawless. Neither one is fool proof & theres horror stories about both, but again, if I could only have one it'd be the Marlin. :wink:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

:lol: I think you have the Right to pick and choose that which will teach you the most,... just as the rest of us have!! :lol:

Seriously,.... I think if anyone who you tries COWBOYING any straight walled cartridge in a lever action and just happens to short cycle it while doing so,... whether a Rossi, Marlin or Browning,... it will let the driver know all about OPERATOR ERROR!

just one man's opinion
Last edited by 76/444 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

I have a 70's 1894C that I wouldn't sell, also a pe safety Rossi Puma in .45 Colt.

The Rossi handle's Paco's "Don't try this at home" loads without a hitch, (however a friend swears that my "Paco" loads were responsible for his mag tube coming loose).

My Marlin handles MY "Don't try this at home" loads, no problem. It HATES the semi-wadcutters I've tried to feed it.

The downside of the Rossi/Puma/EMF is that they have screws and pins that are made of softer steel. Threads can strip and pins can bend.

That said, I wish I still had my EMF Short Rifle .357. I hope it's enjoying California. :cry:
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! After all those responses I believe I would opt for a 30-30 in either Marlin, or Winchester.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Thanks to all for your opinions and experiences.

The choices seem to be running about 50/50,
so all of your help leaves me right back where I started! :lol:

-Stretch
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

stretch wrote:Thanks to all for your opinions and experiences.

The choices seem to be running about 50/50,
so all of your help leaves me right back where I started! :lol:

-Stretch
So which do YOU like the best???????? :?
Yance

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well Yance, I have yet to shoot either of 'em, so I
can't say from that point of view.

The Rossi might be stronger, but if I need more power, I'll
just use my Marlin in 35 Remington. The Rossi might also be
a tad better lookin'.

The Marlin is easier to put a scope on, and as my eyes aren't getting
any younger, that's a consideration. Same for changing sights. While
drilling and tapping a receiver for a Williams sight isn't beyond me, it's
also nice to have it already done. The Marlin is also made in the USA.
which is important these days. I'm probably leaning towards the Marlin
right now.

-Stretch
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I'd buy a Rossi just because it's that very very strong winchester action I want, don't want no scopes either.

But thats me, I also don't think marlins look as nice, but thats also me. You obviously have other tastes and reasons, so in your case maybe Marlin is better.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Be patient and an older Marlin that's already D&T will show up. The pre safety Rossis I've seen are going for near enough the price of the used Marlins that I'd go ahead with the Marlin if I could only have one or the other.

The only 2 used 1894C's that I've seen lately were in the $500.00+ range, but they ain't gonna get no cheaper. Nice Rossis have been running less than $100.00 less.
Yance

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Marlin :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Are the Marlins still made in the USA? If so I would go with a Marlin in this economy, American jobs and all that.

My Rossi is smooth and pretty, but the sights are way off
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Joel wrote:Are the Marlins still made in the USA? If so I would go with a Marlin in this economy, American jobs and all that.

Still made in the USA in the same factory for about 50 years now. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is surprising that the Rossi people didn't have them made pre-drilled for the Williams FP; I'd think doing that wouldn't cost too much more, and perhaps if they did that, Williams would pay a couple bucks to put a coupon or flyer in the box along with the rifle, offsetting the cost.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

There is nothing wrong with Marlins, they are excellent guns. But the model 92 has the looks and strength, my vote is Rossi.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

AJMD429 wrote:It is surprising that the Rossi people didn't have them made pre-drilled for the Williams FP; I'd think doing that wouldn't cost too much more, and perhaps if they did that, Williams would pay a couple bucks to put a coupon or flyer in the box along with the rifle, offsetting the cost.
I'll second that...after running an old steel Lyman 66A on my 94 Winchester a bit, I think the 92 is gonna have to grow some holes.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Mr Practical here,

You can get the Rossi rifles with the fancy options like stainless, octagon, etc... for less than the base price Marlins. Years ago I would have said pay for the extra marlin quality but the longer I hang on to my 1894, the more the wood fitting gnaws at me. Is it THAT much harder to make the wood sit even with the tang, the stock not be wider than the receiver, and shrink the gaps? All my old guns that were budget stuff still have wood that fits them. :roll:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I would say look at the big picture. I don't know much about Rossi, but Marlins are still made in America. And unlike some American made products, they are still made with a degree of pride. From what I've gathered from several knowledgeable forum members, Marlin will stand by their product forever and a day, should there be a problem. These things mean a lot to me. My recently manufactured Marlin 336C is top notch, so I would readily trust an 1894. I just like supporting a company that still respects its customers.

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Bogie35 wrote:I would say look at the big picture. I don't know much about Rossi, but Marlins are still made in America. And unlike some American made products, they are still made with a degree of pride. From what I've gathered from several knowledgeable forum members, Marlin will stand by their product forever and a day, should there be a problem. These things mean a lot to me. My recently manufactured Marlin 336C is top notch, so I would readily trust an 1894. I just like supporting a company that still respects its customers.

Bogie
If only that were really true. The fact is that current production Marlins aren't worth anywhere near what they sell for anymore. Check out this thread concerning their current quality from people who bought them. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=47&t=306921
Steve
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Steve,... I think there is some evidence to support your opinion,... but, the opening statement by the first complainer in your link...

"A couple specific areas I noticed: On the 1895, with the action closed, the front of the "bolt", where it should line up with the front of the ejection port, doesn't fit even close. There's a good 1/16" of an uneven gap. Also, the back of the bolt sticks out at least 1/8" from the back of the receiver when it's closed. The machining on the internal parts is rough and uneven as well. "

...only shows how little this gun expert knows. Marlin, as a lot of other modern firearm manufacturers, has succumb to the blight of the legal PC era! The gap (if I understand what he is referring to)(and if I have been educated correctly on this procedure) is a modern day shortcut to allow the gasses of a failed case to escape with as little danger to the shooter as possible.

If this commenter doesn't know that,... why listen to his opinion any further?

Now,.... with that aside!

I think it despicable that Marlin would decide this type of a shortcut to a more eye appealing alternative!!! I think this is the result of the influence the paper pushing legal idiots can have on a company trying to deal with the bottom line in this volatile economic time!

Personally,.... I only have Marlin levers,... and as to cross bolt safeties, I have learned to take them or leave them at my pleasure. But, I will NOT buy one of these aberrations!

But,... to not have the knowledge of what this particular disgusting shortcut is about,... disqualifies the comments of the publisher in my opinion. And I doubt VERY much he was allowed to take some brand new rifles apart, to be able to comment on their innards!!!

just one man's opinion
Last edited by 76/444 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The man said the magic word "scope" - that settles it AFAIAC - Marlin 94.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

I also have one of each, about the same age, 4 yrs, both in 44 mag, both feed anything that I put in including my own home cast semiwadcutters.

My only real complaint on the marlin is that stupid fat forend. I also prefer the trim look of the rossi reciever. operationally both are more accurate than I am.

If I were buying a 45lc, I would go with the Rossi just because of the looks.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Browning first, Rossi second.

In .357, .44-40 if you can find them, or the mighty 44!

Hermann
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I have examples of both Marlin and Rossi .357 carbines, and I prefer the Marlin design for its simplicity, ease of takedown and the fact that it can be scoped without problems.

Having said that, I grab a 16" stainless Rossi when I need to toss a firearm in the vehicle "just in case." At short distances I can still use the iron sights well enough to be effective, and with a little help from NKJ's video and a couple of his parts, cycling the action is a joy. My gun cleaning OCD makes not taking it down completely after every outing a struggle, but as I get older, I am also getting lazier, so that problem may work itself out!

My big beef with Marlin is their - at least on the last couple of them I have bought new - crummy QC. Luckily, their their customer service has been pretty good to help make up for it, but the days of Rossis being horribly inferior by comparison may be about over. If Rossi drilled/tapped the guns for receiver sights, provided sling swivel studs and changed the bolt safety to a flush-topped one that was slotted for a dime or a cartridge rim (or a screwdriver) instead of a snaggy little lever, they would go a long way towards really getting my attention.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

My thoughts are similar to deafrn. I have a recent (pre-Remington buyout) Marlin 1894 and recent (post Taurus buyout) Rossi 92, both in .357. The Rossi is a 16" barrel fitted with Skinner ghost ring sights. It is the definition of a "handy rifle", quick handling and just feels right. It is my go to gun for things that go bump in the night, with 8 rounds in the tube.

I have been pleased with both the Rossi and the Marlin. No problems with either. The Marlin is easier to strip for cleaning and is easy to mount a scope on. I just prefer the Rossi, even though I wish it didn't have that stupid safety (which I don't use).
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Steve