OT- Clearing the mind

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Clearing the mind

Post by Andrew »

Lately I have been doing a little learning in my free time and have been having pretty good success with it. I have been listening to podcasts learning French and going over my phrases and vocab(what little I've learned) and such at work 'cause I don't need my mind while working, just my hands.

That's all good and well but I am wanting to get started with some other learning for one very important reason: I get bored. I get bored, burned out, whatever you want to call it when I do any one thing for too long. So the only way that I have found to keep that from happening is by rotating my brain activities. For instance, I plan on starting the Spanish lessons as well because I like the format, Spanish is similar to French, Spanish is easier than French and because Spanish is about 100 times as useful as French considering where we live and who is living amongst us.

Still not a big deal. I learn well. The only thing I am asking is if any of you fellows have any activities, tricks that you like to use to clear the pallet and avoid the burnout that education, especially self disciplined education, can give you? I'm kinda looking for a mindless endeavor like banging a stick on a rock only a bit more fun. :lol: Learning a new language has been something I have wanted to do for a long time. The French is for me, but the Spanish would be for me and something I can write on a job application. So either way it is important for me to do this so it is worth any time/effort I put in I just don't want to see it go to waste 'cause get put off from repetition.

Nothing to do with leverguns I know, but I figured there are plenty of educated people on here that may have went through this before. Thanks for any help. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Clearing the mind

Post by awp101 »

Yep, I'm easily bored at times as well. :mrgreen: My problem is I find something new to learn about, go full throttle anywhere from a week to a couple of months and then find myself looking for something new.

I guess the upside is I end up working back around to most interests so I'm not always starting back at the beginning.

AFA languages, I want to learn a bit of Finnish. I have ZERO use for it, I just think it would be fun... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Bonne chance mon ami.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

20 years ago I worked in a shop and sometimes the work was very repetitious. During those times I would plan projects, more projects and still more projects. Whether it was a shed, a deck, a remodel, a motorcycle build, a gun project, a hunting trip, etc etc. Not all the projects were completed or even started for that matter but I always kept my mind going with that stuff and would often make notes as the day went on. An idle mind is not a good thing and nothing good can from it. A person could get himself in a fix dwelling on the negative in this mans life. I applaud you expanding your mind with language, figure I have enough problem with English so I'm not about to start another one! :D .

LK
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

If I'm heavy into studying, that concentrates on just mental activities so I find that if I do something that concentrates on physical activities for awhile it helps keep me fresh. I find a good break from hard study is hiking.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Winston Churchill,... quote,... “the best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse”.

8) Works for me!!! 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like LK's reply, I am a project kind of guy. I have a large curiosity gene that I satisfy with various things.

I have a plan to build a sailboat. So I plan first to finish the one I started long ago. At the same time, when I get the tile backsplash finished and the kayak finished and fishing I'll be doing the design work for a smaller skiff and the layout work for the sailboat so I can build a plating model and spec the materials, aluminum mostly.

I have computer projects, furniture projects, grandchild projects, and a whole list that is more than I can achieve, but it keeps my mind occupied, if I can stop watching the stupid propagandacasts!

I also read the Bible with serious efforts to make it apply to my daily walk, and serious efforts to explain the core of it to the teenagers I know. ... --- ...

I consider any progress in any area to be an accomplishment. I'm gravitating toward re-entering the commercial fishery I retired from... just because maybe I still can.

Stay curious, stay inspired. The internet is better than any university, you'll access more information and meet more civil and decent people who share their interests here than anywhere I've ever been.

Best,

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:If I'm heavy into studying, that concentrates on just mental activities so I find that if I do something that concentrates on physical activities for awhile it helps keep me fresh. I find a good break from hard study is hiking.
Very true. If it's nasty out, a game of computer solitaire is sort of a clear-the-slate thing, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Fishing has always been a great way for me to get my mind right.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Joel wrote:Fishing has always been a great way for me to get my mind right.
Joel, you beat me to it. Fishing - restores sanity and the soul.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you Andrew, me,,, I just go and hide in the trees :) (with a gun).

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Fishing, Hunting,or whatever you love.......its good for the soul, and the sanity to do it whenever you feel boredom or any sort of blues coming on. If you like motorcycles or horses, they are good for clearing the mind, too. I have never met any motorcyclist who I thought needed to talk to a therapist. I have met some who were crazy, but never bored or blue. By the way, a French word for a type of boredom is ennui. Hope you have fun learning French. Learning something new never hurt anybody.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the advice guys. I've started trying to get back in to shape here lately and I think that may be a good way to space out for awhile. I always feel better after a getting a good sweat in anyway. I do a lot better with math and science than I do with language so it can seem more of a pain at times. I hope to be able to stick with this and be far enough along to throw in some ASL as well. That's another one I've been wanting to learn for a long time.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't remember what bored feels like, but I wish I could!!!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Be careful what you wish for!!!