OT - Need help with sling for grandpa's rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Need help with sling for grandpa's rifle

Post by Mich Hunter »

Here is my problem. My grandfather passed down to me (skipped the other grandsons) his favorite deer rifle. Its a remington 721 in 30-06. Now, this rifle is a tack driver. I have shot alot of rifles, but this one is silk smooth and I can hit dimes at 100m. I'll put it ahead of the couple pre 64 model 70's that I have. Anyways, I am taking it out for a spin this year for mule deer and prong horn. Here is my problem. The gun has never had a sling on it nor any sling swivels. I sure as hell will not drill holes in this gun. I simply cannot bring myself to do it and I won't. But, I will be doing alot of walking and really need some sort of sling. Does anyone have any ideas??? I have used set ups at "work" on M4's and M16's but never seen a swivel free sling on a deer rifle.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Muzzle loader slings may work. Part way down the page of this link is the "Universal". No swivels needed. There must be others on the market too. Chris
http://possibleshop.com/sling.htm
Here is a tactical type on fleabay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-QD-3-POIN ... dZViewItem
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Slogan makes a sling they call the "Bow Sling", however I have used it to great success on a number of rifles and shotguns that did not have sling swivels on 'em.

http://www.specialtyoutdoorproducts.com/
Levergunner

Post by 9422 »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Or if all else fails a model 700 stock will fit a 721. You might have to remove some material on the 700 stock from around the saftey and the barrel channel if it has a barrel swell for a rear sight. But It being your granpa's an all the stock means just as much as the barrel an action.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Can't shoot no game with your gun behind yer back. :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mich Hunter you're in the same boat as my son. I got his grandfaather's 721 for him as well. His is .270 but they sure are nice rifles. There sure is something special about it knowing where it came from as well.

Congratulations,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

They are sweet rifles and affordable to find them. I just cannot bring myself to chnage it in any way. I have heard many stories about this rifle and how many deer it put in the freezer. I hope to add to that.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Although many of my bolt guns have sling studs, I prefer to not use a sling, especially on my lever guns. What I do use is a pack that has a scabbard built into it. While I am hiking in to my stand, my rifle is in the scabbard this leaves myhands free nad holds the rifle nicely. While I am still hunting or at my stand, it is in my hands ready, so no need for a sling. I have two of these packs, one is a mid size fanny pack with shoulder straps holding the scabbard, one is a mid sized day pack.