Scope assistence requested

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Scope assistence requested

Post by J Miller »

I am really thinking of buying one of those new Redfield scopes for my MR-7. I also want to use the steel Leupold rings and bases. I've looked at the Redfield/Leopold site and just managed to confuse myself. I don't know enough about scopes and bases and rings to make a good choice.

There are no stores listed here in IL as being sellers for the new Redfield scopes so I can't buy locally. I can go on line and find them I'm sure, but which rings and bases do I want to order?
As I said I looked at Leopolds chart and all the alpha designations just confused me.

Currently I have the Weaver two piece bases with those horrible rings with the screws on one side. I want to do away with those.

Can someone who knows tell me which bases and rings would be the best choice for the Redfield 3-9x40 scope? According to the chart that size scope can use the low mounts so we'll go with that.
Also the Marlin MR7 uses the same rings and bases as the Winchester Mdl 70 long action.

All help appreciated.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Scope assistence requested

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:I am really thinking of buying one of those new Redfield scopes for my MR-7. I also want to use the steel Leupold rings and bases. I've looked at the Redfield/Leopold site and just managed to confuse myself. I don't know enough about scopes and bases and rings to make a good choice.

There are no stores listed here in IL as being sellers for the new Redfield scopes so I can't buy locally. I can go on line and find them I'm sure, but which rings and bases do I want to order?
As I said I looked at Leopolds chart and all the alpha designations just confused me.

Currently I have the Weaver two piece bases with those horrible rings with the screws on one side. I want to do away with those.

Can someone who knows tell me which bases and rings would be the best choice for the Redfield 3-9x40 scope? According to the chart that size scope can use the low mounts so we'll go with that.
Also the Marlin MR7 uses the same rings and bases as the Winchester Mdl 70 long action.

All help appreciated.

Joe
http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-s ... 52291.html

Joe, I don't pretent to know much about that sort of thing, but this is a pretty good site to peruse, and they have lots of help subjects, seems like. Decent prices, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine,

Lotsa good stuff in there. Good prices too. If I only knew what I wanted .... :oops:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, low-mount rings and scopes with a 40mm obj lens are incompatible - due to the obj bell hitting the barrel, thus keeping the front ring from seating on the base.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

don't know your scope budget, so I'll FYI this interesting article to further confuse the issue:
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

and more "rings and bases" info overload:
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=17

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Blaine,

Lotsa good stuff in there. Good prices too. If I only knew what I wanted .... :oops:

Joe
Joe, I'd call the 800# and see what they say..... I sure like my Leupold Quick Release on the slotted rail of my AO Scout Mount....any of those slotted rails make getting the scope back on a better deal with those QR Rings..I'm going to set up others just like that...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For me it is always trial-and-error with ring height for a given scope and gun. Since I mount scopes on lots of my guns, there are usually several pair of banged-up old rings around to try for my banged-up old scopes...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Get the Leupold (Weaver style) rings.They are of good quality. I have used them on several rifles and the low rings along with the two piece bases work just fine with a 40mm scope.

Midway has a good application chart on their web site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=253330

I like the Warne rings best.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=918191

Get the ones you like the looks of best and have fun!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck,
I'm wanting to get away from the existing Weaver bases cos they are aluminum. If'n I'ma gonna spend my cash for a new American built scope, I'd like to have better mounts. Why bother replacing the existing rings If I'm keeping the same base?

I'll check the Midway site again with your link, I couldn't find what I was looking for the other day when I was checking. I couldn't even find a listing for the new Redfield scopes.

AJMD,
I'm not a scope person. The only reason I'm going this route is the rifle does not have iron sights. I don't have any scope related things here at all.

Blaine,
That's not a bad idea. I'll do it.

Joe
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Personally Joe, I like the one piece rings/bases by Talley Mfg. They're a 1 piece unit that bolts straight up to the receiver. I think they look pretty nice and I've got a few sets of them on various rifles. They are AL alloy, not steel, but I've found them plenty tough and they keep a zero.

Talley One Piece Rings/Bases

Midway also has the Redfield 3x-9x scope in stock as well.

Redfield 3x-9x

One stop shopping..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444,

I've never heard of those Talley ring/bases. That is a simplified mounting system if I ever saw one. Gotta think on them though.
One question, are they directional or can you turn them both ways?

One of my criteria is what ever mounting system I use has to allow me to see the iron sights if the scope is removed. Granted there are no irons on it now, but there will be. I don't want to buy something now, then have to buy something else later.

Thanks for the links, they help a lot.

Joe
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

J Miller wrote:deerwhacker444,

I've never heard of those Talley ring/bases. That is a simplified mounting system if I ever saw one. Gotta think on them though.
One question, are they directional or can you turn them both ways?
Joe
I think they're directional, can't remember. It seems like if you put them on right they look cool and if you put them on backwards it's obvious.

Someone suggested Warne rings. I've got some of those as well and they're good rings to put on Weaver bases and they look very clean.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Warne makes steel bases ( Weaver style). They are the ones I use. :D
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

There are too many variables involved to say which set of rings will or will not work. Do not believe that low rings will not work with 40mm objective bells. I have several rifles that have low rings and 40mm OB's. I even have a couple of 50mm OB's that work with low rings.

The best thing to do is call the manufacturer of the bases and rings that you want to buy. Personally I prefer the Warne over the Leupold. I always have to lap the Leupolds to get them to fit perfectly. Rarely do I need to lap the Warne's. And if you contact Warne for the right height and they are wrong-no problem. Just call them back and they will change the rings out at no charge. So all you could be out is a couple of bucks for shipping the rings back to Warne.

You can also ask the person who you are buying the scope from. If they are reputable they will also take the rings back and send you the right ones. You are over thinking this a bit. I realize it is good to get it right the first time, and we all strive to do that. But with so many variables involved it can be difficult at times. Just cover your butt first by contacting the reputable seller ahead of time and take good notes. Any reputable seller will take care of you.

Quick question?? Why the RedField?? You mentioned American made. What makes you think the RedField scope is American made?? I am pretty sure RedField was bought out by Leupold. I think they do assemble the scopes in the USA. But I believe a lot of the parts are imported. But then I guess that probably is about as good as it gets. Tom.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ditch the variable, you will never like it.
Buy steel rings, mount them, then lap them to each other.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Redfield scopes are made in the Leupold plant in Beaverton OR. U.S.A. :D
Their web site has a great video. All lenses are made by others though as they explain in the video. Lens making isa highly specialized "art form" that is handled better by others. The lens system is designed by Leupold though. :D
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Everyone has their opinions, but I much prefer Weaver "style" bases to Redfield/Leupold style. The aluminum bases hold up fine for me, but I do have a few Weaver steel bases. I won't use the Weaver split rings. Get a set of Burris Signature rings with the plastic liners. You'll never have to worry about lapping ring, scratching scope tubes, or slipping scopes again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

JB,
I did not know rings with plastic liners existed.
That is a good idea.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mescalero1 wrote:JB,
I did not know rings with plastic liners existed.
That is a good idea.
I've wondered (but never tried) if black tape on the scope would be helpful.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh come on now, for crying out loud. Worrying about a scope getting scratched by the rings is the height of silliness. It's a part of the whole and the whole will be subjected to field use, weather, wear, pucker bushes, and every other form of use.

Put together a good solid package and go use it. That is my plan.
I want to get away from plastic parts and aluminum if I can. If not then why bother upgrading what's on there now? I'm sure not gonna get all anal about ring marks on the scope.
They won't matter after I've tripped and the rifle has slid down the side of the mountain and dropped off into a 300' deep chasm.

OK, lets get back to reasonableness:
A> No gunsmiths in central IL
B> I gotta do this myself unless one of you guys want to drive over and do it for me.
C> I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle. The simpler the better.
D> I wouldn't know how to lap a scope base or mount or ring, so I ain't gonna try it. Those on the rifle now fit fine and they do not show any signs of lapping.
E> Redfield, 3-9x40 like deerwhacker444 posted the link to.
F> I want STEEL bases and rings that will compliment my rifle and scope.

That's all. I just needed some help figureing out Leopolds charts.

Joe
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

You mentioned the use of irons (ultimately) on that rifle and needing to be able to utilize them after removing the scope. In my opinion installing Warne steel bases and Warne Maxima QD rings would be the way to go (others have already mentioned Warnes). I have several sets of Warne rings and have used them on either Weaver or Warne bases. The Warne bases are low enough to utilize irons above them, I'm sure. But The Weaver aluminum bases are machined in a manner that leaves the center lower than the edges making the view of the irons that much better.

Warnes are not cheap, but not as high as Talleys 2 piece rings and bases, which is what you will need, if planning on usable irons too. Something else I've noted with the Warne Maxima rings is that they are very good at not scratching or dinging a scope's finish (for what that's worth). Midway will most certainly have both the steel Warne bases and QD Maxima rings. It's a very fine, secure system. If you ever have a question about Warne products making a call to the number supplied on their web site will get you in touch with an actual person! I have called them before and have gotten an experienced tech (called me back) on the other end of the phone who understood and was able to answer my questions.
Good Luck!! :mrgreen:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Hi Joe,

Leupold base number is 50000 in matte, gloss is 50001. This is the one piece base, which is the style I have on my Rem M700, there will be no need to shim or square up your rings with this type. 2 piece you may have to shim or true up the insides of the rings.

You can then get Leopold Standard Rings, they may be labeled as STD.

I found Natchez Shooting supply to be the cheapest for rings.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... eupold%201

Steve
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

SteveR wrote:Hi Joe,

Leupold base number is 50000 in matte, gloss is 50001. This is the one piece base, which is the style I have on my Rem M700, there will be no need to shim or square up your rings with this type. 2 piece you may have to shim or true up the insides of the rings.

You can then get Leopold Standard Rings, they may be labeled as STD.

I found Natchez Shooting supply to be the cheapest for rings.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... eupold%201

Steve
Steve, Thanks

edsguns,
Thanks for the info. I realized what you were saying about the Weaver bases as I read your post. Perhaps I should just get a better set of rings and leave the bases that are on there alone.

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
STOP OVER-REACTING
the reason for lapping scope rings after they are installed is to prevent any tweaking/warpage of the scope tube in final configuration.
Lapping rings is easier than falling off a rock.
If you are not doing it, you are not serious about accuracy.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
STOP OVER-REACTING
the reason for lapping scope rings after they are installed is to prevent any tweaking/warpage of the scope tube in final configuration.
OK, I'll stop over-reacting. I DESPISE scopes and would have yanked the one on this rifle off and tossed it in the trash had the rifle had iron sights. Is that plain enough?

My questions have been answered and as far as I'm concerned this thread is finished.

Joe
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

J Miller wrote:Oh come on now, for crying out loud. Worrying about a scope getting scratched by the rings is the height of silliness. It's a part of the whole and the whole will be subjected to field use, weather, wear, pucker bushes, and every other form of use.
Not all my firearms are used for climbing mountains goat hunting. I have a number or rifles that never leave a target range or rolling farmland. To me, ring scratches on scopes tubes are the sign of careless handling just like the scratch people leave on the side of 1911's that don't know the correct way to put assemble them.

I find the Burris Signature rings hold better too. I've use them on 454 and above handguns that had problems with the scopes moving in the rings. The liners also come in variable sizes to adjust for scope/mount situations where more elevation may be needed. No shimming and no lapping required.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

J Miller wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
STOP OVER-REACTING
OK, I'll stop over-reacting. I DESPISE scopes and would have yanked the one on this rifle off and tossed it in the trash had the rifle had iron sights. Is that plain enough?

My questions have been answered and as far as I'm concerned this thread is finished.

Joe

Thank God!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags