OT - home-made bow press...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - home-made bow press...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sometime maybe 44MagHunter will tell you about this contraption he's built in his room this winter...

...it saved him a couple hundred bucks and seems to do the job.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - home-made bow press...

Post by shooter »

Someone's gonna have to cough up some details :D . Among all of the other hobbies I'm interested in and don't have time for, making bows is one of them. I've got one a little over half way done right now, just a simple board bow to kind of introduce me to the process. Don't know what a bow press is or how you use one. Sure would appreciate some info.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I may be all wet here, but I believe that is a device for stringing and un stringing a compound bow.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Is he using that to tiller the limbs?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

mescalero1 wrote:I may be all wet here, but I believe that is a device for stringing and un stringing a compound bow.

Yup. Looks like its intended for the newer parallel limb types.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All I know is he uses it to work on his Diamond 'Rock' bow, and about every two weeks he decides his string or his sight or his stabilizer or something is just not good enough, and he has to change it. Reminds me of the way I am with constantly swapping out my scopes on various rifles - even ones I hardly ever shoot just have to have the 'right' scope, and I change my mind constantly.

Anyhow, I'll bug him to post more info on it. Then when he spends time posting instead of doing his homework, I can get him in trouble about it... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

That is awesome he built that over the winter. Honestly though, compound bows don't interest me all that much. I gave mine to my brother to learn how to shoot, and I started working on learning how to make bows. There's just something that interests me more in shooting something you made yourself.

Tell him great job from me, though!! Shows great initiative, and it's nice to see people with hobbies these days.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks like he put a lot of thought into it to make it work.
Does he shoot any 3D tournaments? Sounds like he might have the right mindset for them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K and I made a bow string making jig for his "Archery" merit badge here recently. I will post pictures on it shortly. Congrats to your son AJ - gotta love ingenuity, especially weapons-related ingenuity! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

With skills like that he could get a part time job at an archery shop and fund his bow addiction. :D Very nice job.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have and older browning bow. I generally always just use a cargo ratchet strap to take the pressure off the string and then slowly back it off after disconnecting it.

Jeremy did you end up getting a Bear Bow?
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What Browning?
Mine is a Coyote.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It is the Browning AMBUSH X. It has the Laminated wood riser and wooden limbs. It only shoots about 240 fps I think but it seems to do the job. I took an 8 point buck about 3 yrs ago with it at 30-35 yrds. I think that is about its limit, it doesnt shoot near as flat as the current bows that are running over 300 fps. I like it because it has the tear drop cable system and I can buy bow strings for $10 and put them on myself. A very economical shooter. My last bow was a single cam and it cost about $100 for me to have the string replaced. I am not a serious enough bow hunter to put out that kind of money every year to 2 years.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Jeremy did you end up getting a Bear Bow?
No not yet had some unforeseen expenses that have put a kink in my plans. :evil:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis