OT: Bush Planes & helios site, good read

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Bush Planes & helios site, good read

Post by BigSky56 »

Lots of good reading http://www.bush-planes.com/index.html
spent alot of time in UH1 and OH6 in the RVN and have been in a DH beaver. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Bush Planes & helios site, good read

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Danny, my 21 year old grandson Jerry3 is taking flying lessons, he has about 12 hours in now. when he gets in from classes today I'll pull this up for him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had seen that site before but had forgot about it. Thanks. I used to fly a long time ago but havent been active in many years. I still own this citaberia GCBC. Its a long sad story, but a friend has been rebuilding it for many years. His daughter had groundlooped it. Coincidently I get my flying physical tomorrow and am sweating it big time. This is a very old picture.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bill, once you get that Citabria up and running again you should get a hold of Joe and set up some flights into some of his out of the way hunting grounds. Looks like she'd make a good bush plane.
Old Law Dawg
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Twenty years ago in Alaska with a couple thousand hours of adventure flying low and slow in my Super Cub.

Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Thanks. Brings back many memories from here and there. Great times in the US Army Flying Club!

A lot of time in Beavers, Otters, Bird Dogs, Mohawks, Barons and King Airs + plus various fling-wings (helios).

Presently grounded and hangared in Central Oregon.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Cruise, I saw some mohawks, birdogs and broncos at Lai khe in 72 during the easter offensive also saw some other fixed wing birds I cant put names to I believe the unit was the 11 Aviation Bn. danny
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Neat aircraft. As I mentioned elsewhere, it is difficult today to find new production made well and simple so that it lasts. Flying lessons are on the Bucket List. Pitch, Yaw, and Roll would all be fun to experience firsthand with an experienced pilot there to make sure I don't do anything stupid. Pilot Induced Oscillation would not be fun to experience, even though many of us saw it last month when a pilot got his truck stuck in the mud, and a young Lady drove past him in a front wheel drive car.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would love to have a super cub. Its on my list of things to learn how to do and was just looking into lessons . Thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Learning to fly today takes a lot of money! I thought it was bad in the 60s when I started. There are some ways to cut costs, but still its a fortune. Unless you are rich, you have to be highly motavated to learn. Its pretty hard to justify unless you plan on flying for a career.
There is a classifcation known as "sport pilot". To me, it has both good and bad points. First of all, it takes less time to learn, but you have a lot of limitations. You fly a very light, underpowered plane. The biggest thing it has going is you dont need a flight physical. Basicly, if you are healthy enough to have a drivers license, it`s good to fly on. I think that most pilots that fly under that class are us older guys that have health problems and are scared to take the flight physical because if you flunk, you are SOL without recourse. Your dreams of flying are over!
I took my physical yesterday. I wont know if I passed for about a month as it has to be determined in omaha by the FAA doctors. That is because I had my nose removed due to cancer and had a pulmanary embelism 10 years ago. I have to show my monthly blood test results etc. Last year when I got my physical they gave it to me for one year instead of the normal two.
I own a citaberia GCBC. That model has flaps and a 150 HP engine. That particular plane is too heavy and powerfull for sport plane designation. If I didnt want to take chances on be grounded for life, I could sell my plane, pay a extra small fortune with proceeds to buy a kite. It would be 100 HP and haul about half the weight. A real problem as I am three spins on the scale and I like the thought of takeing gas along! Sometimes some of these "rules" dont make much sense!