I wished I had been using an open sighted leveraction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

I wished I had been using an open sighted leveraction

Post by Lastmohecken »

I done some varmit hunting this weekend, but I messed up. My future son in law came over with an electronic varmit call. He brought his shotgun for crows. Well, we set up a few times on the crows, but didn't get much action, then down in the evening, we went coyote/bobcat hunting.

I gave him my Winchester model 9422mag, and I took my Winchester model 70, 25-06 with a 6 x 40 Leupold scope, expecting a fairly long shot in poor light. What was really wild was when we started the coyote yelping and dying rabbit calls, the crows started comming in, DARN, and we had rifles, but no coyote showed up. So, we set up again a few hundred yards away, in a more brushy area, know to hold some small game, like rabbits etc.

Here came the crows again. We were split up by a few yards, and I was watching upwind, while sitting on a log. I though I could see pretty good, but I got surprised big time by two large coyotes, who popped up, right in front of me, at ten yards maybe closer, but I didn't get much of a chance, and I couldn't get them in my scope, fast enough. I swear if I had taken my iron sighted Winchester 94, I would have killed both of them, or even my Browning BLr with the lower powered scope. They got away, but I guess we learned something, and had some fun, anyway.

Today I killed three Armidillos. The first one was eairler in the day, with my Flatband Model 94 30/30, one shot at about 75 yds. Later I spotted another one accross my field from my front porch. I grabbed an AR-15 with a scope and finally got it killed after darned near emptying a 20 round mag, went back in the house and grabbed a Browning 92 I had loaded with Magtech 240gr softnoses, and went to check on the second Armidillo, and low and behold another Armidillo was out there. I closed on it to about a hundred yards, and I could see it was not going to hang around. So, I took a careful off hand shot, with my factory open sights, and fired. It jumped and ran, pretty fast, but I levered in another round and fired again, just before it got into the grown up fence row. I ran up there, and was surprised to see it laying there, I gave it a third finisher, and also found the other Armidillo, dead that I I had shot with the AR-15.

I must have an infestation of Armidillos, but I am working on that.

So, all in all, I had an exciting weekend, except I regret not getting the coyotes, as we believe we are loosing some baby caves to the coyotes, and they were big coyotes, too. Maybe next time.

And I won't forget that sometimes crows come in better to a dying rabbit call, then they do a crow call.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I wished I had been using an open sighted leveraction

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: :D Sounds like fun to me.....Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Coyotes come in to guts and garbage.

Make a gut-pile where the wife don't have to smell it, maintain it and wait for the sun to go down.

They will come.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Crows can do the strangest things !!! I think they are just oppertunist bully birds looking to jump in on any opportunity to cause hurt and pain. They are my main sport with a scattergun when we are up there.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Somebody had put out a meatcicle for the coyotes and hunted over it pretty regularly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson