OT: Yeah I know - pants belts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Yeah I know - pants belts

Post by J Miller »

Bear with me and I promise, no more OT threads for the rest of this week. Cross my heart.

Well, I've given up for now. Try as I might I've gotten so fat I have to fight to get my pants belt hooked in the last hole. And it's so stretched out it's about shot. Sooooo, I've priced factory made belts and said, " I ain't spending that much". No way.
I checked Tandy's web site and they have belt blanks. Gonna order the extra long 'fat guy' blank and build me my own belt. That way when I do loose weight I won't feel so bad about punching holes in it. They come in natural only and I'm gonna die it black.
My wife's work belt is about shot too so we're gonna order one for her as well.
She has a real nice buckle we're gonna put on hers, but all I have is a regular pants belt buckle. I looked at the ones Tandy has on their site and not impressed. I'd kinda like to have one with a rifle ( lever gun of course ) or a single action revolver on it.
So just for the fun of it, does anyone here have any favorite belt buckles they'd like to suggest?
Not that anybody will see it with my gut hanging over it ... :(

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Yeah I know - pants belts

Post by Borregos »

Hey Joe here is one I wear a lot.
It is a limited edition made by "The Great American Buckle Co." of Chicago :D :D (mine is S/N 360)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Must ba a Canadian thing I have an identical buckle I wear everyday.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've been making my own belts from Tandy blanks for years. I like to take two, cut one a bit shorter than the other, and then glue/stitch the two together for a double- thick belt -- best pistol-toting belt available! Cinch that baby up tight and your pants do not droop, even if you're carrying a big ol' magnum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Borregos wrote:Hey Joe here is one I wear a lot.
It is a limited edition made by "The Great American Buckle Co." of Chicago :D :D (mine is S/N 360)
Borregos,
You got a link to the "The Great American Buckle Co."? I'm running into a big blank.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hey Joe,
Hope this works, never posted a link before :D

http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-gr ... can-buckle

Good luck :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You may want to reconsider the black dye for your new belts. ALL of the currently-available BLACK dyes "bleed" like crazy, staining anything & everything they touch, even when covered with a laquer finish. Wiping the dyed surface with a weak vinegar solution can help, as it serves to "set" the dye, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. The most durable, stay-black dye I have found is Fiebings' USMC Black...

Good luck!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Dont know what to tell you about your belt Joe. But I appreciate hearing about this Tandy place. Looks like a place I can give money to. Thanks. :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck Elliott wrote:You may want to reconsider the black dye for your new belts. ALL of the currently-available BLACK dyes "bleed" like crazy, staining anything & everything they touch, even when covered with a laquer finish. Wiping the dyed surface with a weak vinegar solution can help, as it serves to "set" the dye, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. The most durable, stay-black dye I have found is Fiebings' USMC Black...

Good luck!
Buck,

I saw that USMC black but ordered their other stuff. I really don't care for brown pants belts so I'll have to take my chances I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Borregos,
Thanks for the link, I'll check 'em out.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Joe, check with the Cunard Line, Ltd....they change out the fan belts on the QE II LONG before they wear out....You could get a deal.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,

This has been a long hard winter friend. Sounds like those blanks will work for ya great.
Wish you lived by me,cause the wife has me doing this PX 90 workout thing now, and it is brutal.
She yelled at me cause my waist for the first time matched my inseam length. :roll:
So I am now on this killer routine of her's. She needs to just chill! Anyway----- Hang in there.
Take pics of the belts when you get them!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Why waste a nice belt buckle that your gut covers? Time to start wearing overalls Joe. No worry about a belt and plenty of pockets for yer gun and knife stuff. There's even a loop for you hammer. :o
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:Joe, check with the Cunard Line, Ltd....they change out the fan belts on the QE II LONG before they wear out....You could get a deal.... :P
Blaine,

You really think they got my size!?!? Wow, :lol:

Modoc ED wrote:Why waste a nice belt buckle that your gut covers? Time to start wearing overalls Joe. No worry about a belt and plenty of pockets for yer gun and knife stuff. There's even a loop for you hammer. :o
ED,
You know I'm the son of a IL farmer and coal miner, but dawgonnit, I really don't wanna look like that. Besides, if my wife saw that much denim in one place she'd go into spasms trying to chop it up to make crafts out of. :shock:

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :o
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

They sell hemp rope in 1000' rolls.

That's a lifetime supply of custom fitted country belts.

Change yer moniker from "Joe" to "Joe Bob".

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

FWiedner wrote:They sell hemp rope in 1000' rolls.

isn't joe short for jethro?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pokey wrote:
FWiedner wrote:They sell hemp rope in 1000' rolls.

isn't joe short for jethro?
No, he's just too short for his size...... :P (Hey, I'm pretty chunky, too, Bro)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

if you change your mind, or get frustrated.
i like these stout and cheap, and the style i like.
and looks like they go up to 50 inches.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ ... x?a=125363
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Solid brass railroad belt buckle from an "old head" co-worker of my son's. Dates from the Seventies. I have many others, but this one has class.

Money belt made for me by my good friend Dennis Yoder. He passed on three days ago.

In case I run across a nice Winchester or Colt :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

You need one of these...but in your condition you'd better have a CCH :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =158923802

Ed
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
I have a buckle from my brother and the old IHMSA days.
It is five .223 Rem. cases necked up to .30 caliber one on top of the other, pretty cool, yours if you want it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kansas Ed wrote:You need one of these...but in your condition you'd better have a CCH :D

Ed
Ed, In IL there ain't no CCW or carry of any kind. That lil shooter is a felony any were here but a gun range.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pokey wrote:if you change your mind, or get frustrated.
i like these stout and cheap, and the style i like.
and looks like they go up to 50 inches.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ ... x?a=125363
Pokey, thanks for the link. Wish I'd had it before I made the Tandy order.

Sixgun,
Love that Rio Grande buckle.

Mescalero1,
I think I'd like to stay with either a lever gun or single action revolver, but thanks for the offer.
BTW, did you get my PM?

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes,
I answered, apparantly you did not get that.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:
Kansas Ed wrote:You need one of these...but in your condition you'd better have a CCH :D

Ed
Ed, In IL there ain't no CCW or carry of any kind. That lil shooter is a felony any were here but a gun range.

Joe

Joe,

I know its off topic in your off topic thread, but is open carry legal in Illinois? Aint much concealed about a gun on a belt buckle but my real reason for asking is on another forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Borregos wrote:Hey Joe here is one I wear a lot.

Not just Canadian, I've had the same one for 30 some years though I don't wear it often.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Yes,
I didn't get a notice of a new PM, but I'll go check the in box and see what I find.
Nope, nothing in the in box.

Leverdude wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Ed

Joe

Joe,

I know its off topic in your off topic thread, but is open carry legal in Illinois? Aint much concealed about a gun on a belt buckle but my real reason for asking is on another forum.
There is no legal way to carry a loaded gun in IL unless your out in the field hunting. Only then with a hunting license and only when you are actually in the act of hunting may you do so.
If you are on or in your own property you can carry, other wise not at all.

For the record I do not consider carrying an unloaded gun as being able to carry.

There was some outfit that went by the name of concealed carry dot com or something like that that tried to use a loophole and said folks could carry an unloaded gun in a fanny pack with a magazine or speed loader but that's just a recipe to get busted by the LEOs for a felony illegal carry charge. It might be beatable, but I don't know anyone with enough money to fight it and I sure as heck wouldn't want to chance my future to a potential felony conviction.

So in the simplest of terms there is zero carry options here in IL.

Joe
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

You might want to try a belt buckle from Don Applegate. I purchased one in 2001 through Sportsman's Guide, and then I purchased one just recently at a booth he had at a local gun show. The one I purchased nine years ago has seen a lot of use, and is quite rugged. It has been a favorite for a long time. The new acquistion looks to be just as well made. You will find several that fit that single action theme you mentioned.

Here you go:

http://www.exoticstainlesssteel.com/
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

lthardman,
Thanks for the link. It's loading now.

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

About the loc-tite, right?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:About the loc-tite, right?
Yep, that was the one.

Joe
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Yes,
I didn't get a notice of a new PM, but I'll go check the in box and see what I find.
Nope, nothing in the in box.

Leverdude wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Ed

Joe

Joe,

There is no legal way to carry a loaded gun in IL unless your out in the field hunting. Only then with a hunting license and only when you are actually in the act of hunting may you do so.
If you are on or in your own property you can carry, other wise not at all.

For the record I do not consider carrying an unloaded gun as being able to carry.

There was some outfit that went by the name of concealed carry dot com or something like that that tried to use a loophole and said folks could carry an unloaded gun in a fanny pack with a magazine or speed loader but that's just a recipe to get busted by the LEOs for a felony illegal carry charge. It might be beatable, but I don't know anyone with enough money to fight it and I sure as heck wouldn't want to chance my future to a potential felony conviction.

So in the simplest of terms there is zero carry options here in IL.

Joe

Thanks Joe, thats what I thought. I wouldn't risk it either.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ed

You know, in all the years those buckles have been on the market, I've only seen two in use. one by a truckdriver and one by a motel owner in Gadsden, AL.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Joe, let me toss in a couple of pieces of advice.

First of all, I agree with Buck about the Fiebling USMC Black, it is the st.

Second of all, you need to get a bottle of Satin Sheen or Super Sheen if you want a high gloss finish. Don't just apply one or two coats, apply several coats. And clean and reapply from time to time. This is about the only way to keep the dye from staining your clothes.

When you apply the die, don't put any on the back side of the belt. No amount of sealing will keep the dye from rubbing off on your clothes. Just put a couple of coats of Satin Sheen on the back side of the belt.

Do not just punch holes with your knife or a nail. The holes will rip. If you don't have a hole punch, either buy one or use a drill to make a nice smooth hole that is less likely to tear out. Tndy offers an oval punch just for belt notches.

If the belt blanks don't have snaps already attached, you will need either a package of snaps and a snap setter or some Chicago Screws. I prefer Chicago Screews on my belts.

As for belt buckles, I have two that I wear constantly. one is a brass buckle with the Great Seal of the Confederate States of America on it and the other is a silverplated Initial buckle from Montana Silversmiths. i also have a couple of pewter railroad buckles, one with a 4-6-2 Pacific and another with a 4-8-4 Hudson, but I need to make some new belts for them.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc,

Thanks for the tips. I do have a hole puncher so that's covered. I went back to Tandy and changed my order to the better die and finish. Talked to the guy there who also gave me some tips.

The blanks I'm buying does have snaps, but if they don't hold I have quite a few Chicago screws I keep on hand for other things.

As for the buckle, I'm gonna use my old one for now as I've yet to find one I like. Still looking though.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

whatever you do,do it fast or you could end up singing the new "Pants on the ground song" :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Joe -

I think you should reconsider the coveralls option. It would be really cool to be able to carry your hammer in the hammer loop of the coveralls everywhere you go!!!!

You could even have a new motto:

If you can't shoot it -- Smack It!!!

Oh, and tell the wife, "Hands off my denim"!! :o
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John Wayne's RED RIVER D buckle.

http://www.redriverdbeltbuckle.com/

Sometime a couple years ago someone made replicas of it for sale. Does anybody know who this was?
I'm gonna do a Google, but I'm not good at searches.

Joe