1377 dies an early death... UPDATED!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

1377 dies an early death... UPDATED!!!

Post by Hobie »

I don't suppose I should be surprised as cheaply as they are made nowadays but for the price... My newly acquired 1377 has died. It worked fine the first 10-15 shots and then I set it down, uncocked and uncharged for about a month. Today I went back to it for some warmer than outside shooting and nothing. It will not accept a charge. That usually indicates the seals are "shot" but I think now that the valve is stuck in the open position. :?: This after about 2 months of ownership. Quality. We'll have to see what the company does to back up their product.

As much as I loved the old gun, I wouldn't recommend this one.

PS - I just sent Crosman this note
I purchased this Crosman 1377 Air Pistol 177 Caliber Brown Polymer Grips Blue Barrel on 12/11/2009 from MidwayUSA. I fired about 10-15 shots at 3 pumps and then set the gun aside uncocked and uncharged for about 1½ months. Today it will not take a charge. The trigger mechanism appears to be functioning properly. Usually this means that either the seals are "shot" or the valve won't properly close. It seems to me that the seals are fine but that the valve is stuck in the open such that it will not hold the charge. I would like the gun to be repaired or replaced.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: 1377 dies an early death...

Post by nemhed »

Hobie, try one of the Benjamin models or if you're interested in CO2, try a Crosman 1740 or 2240.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Did you know that Benjamin is made by these same people?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, I was aware of that. Strangely, if you do a little research, Benjamin seems to be having some quality issues lately, too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:Did you know that Benjamin is made by these same people?
Affirmative, I just think the pump-up Benjamins are much better than the Crosmans. The sky is the limit though, all it takes is money. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm a little short of that (the moola) at the moment. We're taking care of Mom's business. All I have so far is the automated response.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Dear Hobie, I was allways under the impression that pneaumatic air guns should be kept with some pressure on the seals. To keep garbage or what ever holding them open. Also, IIRC the crossman pumps use a rubber seal and will not stand mineral based oils.

The seals are easy to replace but the gun is a fiddle to strip and rebuild but doable.

(This is a pump model right?)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie,
Hope they make it right for ya.
I have been extremely impressed with RWS Air Guns.
More money,but for a quality German made piece (money well spent)
Good Luck!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just want to be clear that I never did anything but fire about 10-15 shots. I've always been told to NOT store it charged, it sure wasn't shipped to me charged, and I do not. I had my old gun for several years and wore it out with many thousands of shots. It was never stored charged. I have not lubed this gun but do have proper lube on hand.

Come to think of it, my Webley Tempest has been shooting since 1981 and never stored charged. I am still trying to remember the last time I lubed anything and I'm thinking it was 1987...

This 1377 is a NEW gun that I've had almost exactly 2 months.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

madman4570 wrote:Hobie,
Hope they make it right for ya.
I have been extremely impressed with RWS Air Guns.
More money,but for a quality German made piece (money well spent)
Good Luck!
I was wanting something within certain size and nostalgia parameters. It appears that the nostalgia part is toast. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie, :idea: --- :lol:
http://www.airsoftgunshowroom.com/store ... 32834.html

Ya, I know,don't have to say it!
But when we were kids we grew up on these little guy's!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hobie wrote:I just want to be clear that I never did anything but fire about 10-15 shots. I've always been told to NOT store it charged, it sure wasn't shipped to me charged, and I do not. I had my old gun for several years and wore it out with many thousands of shots. It was never stored charged. I have not lubed this gun but do have proper lube on hand.

Come to think of it, my Webley Tempest has been shooting since 1981 and never stored charged. I am still trying to remember the last time I lubed anything and I'm thinking it was 1987...

This 1377 is a NEW gun that I've had almost exactly 2 months.
Sorry Hobie if I came over wrong. It was only what I was taught etc. But by no means should a springer be kept charged for long periods as it will weaken the spring so you are correct on your Tempest.

A long time ago now I had many a Crosman No1 apart and many of these pistols, they have very similar guts and are quite servicable seal wise. Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don't misunderstand Nath. Just taught differently and don't keep the pump guns charged.

I want Crosman to make good on this gun. I think they OWE me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hobie wonder if a generous squirt of WD40 on top of the valves and let it soak a bit might get it back up and running. Sort of sounds like the "leathers" dried out.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wonder how it would get this bad in about 3 months? I've never seen such and I've handled a lot of air pistols and rifles. I want to emphasize, it was a NEW gun... :wink: Then again, if you had it in hand you'd wonder how it shot the first 10-15 times... Even the plastic is cheap feeling.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don McDowell wrote:Hobie wonder if a generous squirt of WD40 on top of the valves and let it soak a bit might get it back up and running. Sort of sounds like the "leathers" dried out.
Oops :oops: screwed up here, sorry!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nath wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:Hobie wonder if a generous squirt of WD40 on top of the valves and let it soak a bit might get it back up and running. Sort of sounds like the "leathers" dried out.

N.
How did YOU screw up? I'm the one that bought the darn thing! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hobie, if Crossman won't do you right you might try http://www.mac1airgun.com/ as they are in the business. In fact you can probably get some kind of an upgrade done to it to make it more powerful and more trouble free at the same time.

When I bought my Benjamin I think I remember reading something about always storing it with one pump in the system. I usually forget and I'm sure it will one day take it's toll.

Interesting though about Crossman and Benjamin being made by the same people. It only makes sense though. I bought Jr. one of the Benjamin pistols about 10 years ago, but he never shoots it. He says the sights are screwy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nath wrote:

N.
I was going to comment on how they don't have any leather seals, only rubber and PTFE in the reservoir. IIRC the exhaust valve may be rubber too, been a long time.

Tell you what, send it to me and I'll take a look at it :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I would be careful,because if they see more than what's called for in their maintance section of the Owner's Manual------------You will have to eat the defect.They will say it was over oiled.
See section 7 of below:

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/cros ... 77-OM2.pdf

They call for-------Your airgun will maintain proper function longer if you oil it every 250 shots. Put 1 drop of Crosman 0241
Pellgunoil® on the pump cup, and pump lever
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty,

That's interesting. As you can see you and Nath have the same ideas.

It didn't come with a charge. I know because knowing how these work, I cocked it (by working the bolt) and trying the trigger. Nothing. As I said, I then shot it 10-15 times. I had to leave to go take care of Mom and only just got back to it today. Much anticipation of that first shot on the only aluminum pie tin but nothing. If Crosman won't make it right, I will. I've got the tools, just don't believe in bad product getting a pass so I won't be doing a thing to it until I know one way or the other.

As much as Nath likes to get mail from me, this won't be going.

BTW, just got a call from my oldest daughter who's in Dublin and about to hit the rack for some sack time. She and her friends have been all over Dublin today.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Dublin is a very nice city Hobie, Irish coffee and Guiness is addictive over there.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like Irish coffee, but sometimes forget the coffee. :lol: :lol:
Hobie, be sure to let us know if Crossman does the right thing or not. I will base my next airgun pruchase in part on their response.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Oh Hobbie do not give up on that 1377! Everyone sends out a lemon every once in a while. Could be a bad valve, a 0-ring that has/had a small defect or nick. There are quite a few seals in those guns that are nothing more than a rubber o-ring and just a small imperfection can cause no end of headaches. But..the design and guns themselves are amazingly simple to mod and fix. It's the ruger 1022 of the airgun world. I will try to get some pics later, but my 1377 has about 350 dollars worth of mods in it and it's my one and only airgun. I use it for rabbit, gopher, squirrel, starling and english sparrow hunting, and it's better than a .22lr for the task. Let crosman make it right, after that a few bucks here and there..or a ton all at once to psp pneumatics, mac1, or mountain air customs will return a truly fine firearm capable of doing any and all you small game needs.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Too bad about your 1377.

Growing up in the mid 80's I had a Daisy 880. I wish I'd kept count of the # of pellets and bb's I sent thru it, had to be in the 10's of 1000's. My best friend Mike also had one. We'd get together after school and go huntin. Anything the size of a soda can within 40 was toast. When the local Sporting Goods store started carrying Beeman pointed pellets, we thought we'd found heaven. We finally moved onto larger caliber rifles and the Daisy's were forgotten.

Recently, 25 years later on a whim I picked up a New Daisy 880 at Walmart for ol'times sake. When I took it out of the box, I was disappointed. The whole thing is plastic and weighs less than half of what my old 880 weighed. Shooting it only deepened my disappointment. Shots were all over the place at 20 yards. I couldn't hit a soda can on every shot, it was throwing pellets all over the place. The sights were terrible and the whole rifle felt like a big hunk of plastic junk. Sadly, I sat it in the corner of the closet and there it still sits.

The old adage,"They don't make em like they used to" sure rang true. It makes me sad to see the junk that Daisy is turning out these days. Another American company gone down the toilet to China.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The feel of the gun is what made me purchase my Benjanin several years ago. It's still made with a solid wood stock. That would be their their downfall as far as I'm concerned. When they go to a synthetic stock. My rifle is a .22 cal and it still hits with authority even in it's stock condition.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My Crosman 760 sets in the garage for months at a time. Whether I leave it charged or not, every time I pick it up the pump arm is limp. A drop of Crosman oil and a few minutes of mad pumping warms up the seals and gets it working again.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

try warming up the pump tube.

my old one won't push any air if left alone for a while, and is cold.

i use a butane torch and LIGHTLY warm it up. has worked for me, YMMV.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Hope they take care of it for ya, Hobie. I've had one of those for I dunno how many years, at least 20, maybe closer to 30. Never had a bit of trouble with it.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Apparently I have to ship it on my own hook...
Your 1377 has a 1-year warranty. You can send it in to Crosman for repair or replacement. Be sure to enclose a copy of your receipt and a note with your name and address and a brief description of the problem. Send it to: Crosman Corp., 7629 Routes 5 & 20, Bloomfield, NY 14469, Attn Warranty Repair.
Thank you for contacting Crosman. Have a great day!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well it's better than nothing I suppose. :wink:
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

I bought the exact same model back in 1985 and she's still going strong. I guess they don't make them like they used to.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I tried "warming it up" but that didn't work. There is obviously an internal valving problem.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've had 3 1377s. The first one failed immediately. I took it back & traded it for the other one in the case. It failed too. I got a refund & went to another stoer. The one from that store is still working 5 years later, despite the abuse I've given it...

I just wish there were better sights available for them...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Did you read the directions that came with the gun? You're suppose to store it with a couple/three pumps.

Do no use WD40. Use airgun oil.
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Modoc ED ,

That is a good catch you did!
Man you would think the owners manual would have called that out.
You are the true airgun man.(you da man)
I learn somthing everyday on here. Thanks! :)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hobie wrote:I wonder how it would get this bad in about 3 months? I've never seen such and I've handled a lot of air pistols and rifles. I want to emphasize, it was a NEW gun... :wink: Then again, if you had it in hand you'd wonder how it shot the first 10-15 times... Even the plastic is cheap feeling.

They should make good for it. I have one of the pistols pictured above for 20 years or so & it still works very well, it leaks if left pumped for hours but if used as intended is fine. I bought my kid one of the rifles recently & was pretty disappointed. It works fine but cheap & flimsy come to mind every time I look at or handle it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:Did you read the directions that came with the gun? You're suppose to store it with a couple/three pumps.

I have airgun oil. No, I didn't see that. It didn't come with any charge in it... So, for me, I need to store it with three pumps but they don't ship it that way? Interesting.

PS - I couldn't find my copy of my manual so I got this from Crosman's site.
B. Uncharging the airgun
Always uncharge your airgun before handing it to another person , when
you are done shooting, and before storing.
• To uncharge the airgun, cock and lock the bolt as if you were loading a
pellet, (see Section 4A) but, DO NOT load a pellet. Fire in a SAFE DIRECTION after reading all the instructions...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Did you read the directions that came with the gun? You're suppose to store it with a couple/three pumps.

I have airgun oil. No, I didn't see that. It didn't come with any charge in it... So, for me, I need to store it with three pumps but they don't ship it that way? Interesting.

B. Uncharging the airgun
pellet, (see Section 4A) but, DO NOT load a pellet. Fire in a SAFE DIRECTION after reading all the instructions...
Well Hobie, what can I say? I guess they are telling us that now -- maybe because of liability issues.

Crosman used to tell us to store an airgun with a couple/three pumps. The reason then and the reason now is to keep pressure on the "O" rings so as to keep them in shape. If you leave the gun un-pumped, the "O" rings can shrink back a bit and become deformed and when charged again they don't seal properly.

Crosman sells a product called "PellgunOil" and it is great stuff for keeping "O" rings pliable. You can Google Crossman PellgunOil to get home-made formulas that match it pretty close.

Gee, after looking at my initial post, I appear to have been a little short with ya. Sorry, didn't mean to be.

Oh, some petroleum based oils will destroy rubber "O" rings.
ED
Yer never too old
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

They do make better sights for it. There are steel breaches availdable from crosman, both long and short versions and some are dovetailed for williams sights or another type of sight, and have a scope mount rail on as well. Infact they are super customizable, mine wears a long steel breach, scope, 24" barrel, muzzle break, laminate wood rifle stock, custom bolt, bolt handle, and extended probe, reworked internals, trigger shoe, and custom lightened trigger from mountain air customes. People make everything for these guns, they are super customizable.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

n2t wrote:They do make better sights for it. There are steel breaches availdable from crosman, both long and short versions and some are dovetailed for williams sights or another type of sight, and have a scope mount rail on as well. Infact they are super customizable, mine wears a long steel breach, scope, 24" barrel, muzzle break, laminate wood rifle stock, custom bolt, bolt handle, and extended probe, reworked internals, trigger shoe, and custom lightened trigger from mountain air customes. People make everything for these guns, they are super customizable.
Could you post a picture of that? 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Lets see what I can do about that.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:
Hobie wrote:

B. Uncharging the airgun
Well Hobie, what can I say? I guess they are telling us that now -- maybe because of liability issues.

Crosman used to tell us to store an airgun with a couple/three pumps. The reason then and the reason now is to keep pressure on the "O" rings so as to keep them in shape. If you leave the gun un-pumped, the "O" rings can shrink back a bit and become deformed and when charged again they don't seal properly.

Crosman sells a product called "PellgunOil" and it is great stuff for keeping "O" rings pliable. You can Google Crossman PellgunOil to get home-made formulas that match it pretty close.

Gee, after looking at my initial post, I appear to have been a little short with ya. Sorry, didn't mean to be.

Oh, some petroleum based oils will destroy rubber "O" rings.
I guess I feel a need to reiterate that I have the proper oil/lubricant for the seals. However, given the amount it was shot, past experience and the newness of the gun I wouldn't expect that the seals would fail because of lack of anything.

I also downloaded the manual for my OLD 1322. While that manual doesn't say so as clearly, making the gun safe includes discharging it. In other words, neither gun manual advocates storing charged...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

n2t wrote:They do make better sights for it. There are steel breaches available from crosman, both long and short versions and some are dovetailed for williams sights or another type of sight, and have a scope mount rail on as well. In fact they are super customizable, mine wears a long steel breach, scope, 24" barrel, muzzle break, laminate wood rifle stock, custom bolt, bolt handle, and extended probe, reworked internals, trigger shoe, and custom lightened trigger from mountain air customs. People make everything for these guns, they are super customizable.
I was looking at the photos of your gun and it is impressive, and it is an entirely different gun, at least it is now. :wink:

- Steel Breech, $29.99
- Synthetic stock, $26.59
- Mountain Air's 1377/1322, $175.00
Sincerely,

Hobie

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sorry to hear about your 1377 Hobie! Obviously not your fault, just got unlucky and got a dud. There is a great crosman forum that I used to go on some - seems like last time I was there, there was some unhappy discussion about crosman going to some aluminum parts somewhere in the valve / piston assembly.

Not all pneumatics have the same exact valve set up. The benji and sheridan rifles are the ones to leave a couple pumps in when stored. I never stored my 1377 with any air.

Here is a pic of my 1377 (now a 1322) that I got for Christmas in maybe 1984?

it looks a lot different now. If I remember right, it now does something like 600 fps with 15 pumps (which is safe with the new flat top piston and valve) with a 14.3 grain crosman premier .

n2t, I really like yours as well!! Airguns rule.

Also, someone previously mentioned Mac1. That guy is awesome. I sent him a 1985 Sheridan 5mm with a blown valve for his Steroid treatment - it now does over 800 fps with the 14.3 grain cylindricals
k8vf
Levergunner

Post by k8vf »

I used one in the boiler room where I worked for years.

It was my mouse and cockroach gun. Buttstock attached.

I could shoot 10 shots into a dime at 30 feet and I told the guys I only took HEAD shots.

I know it sure killed the little buggers.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Yeah mine has been worked on a tad, I think I have 350 in it before scope and rings. Crosman sells a peep sight similar to a williams that fits that dovetail under my scope. Given the info, I doubt it was stored wrong or something done to it. Given the limited number of shots I would say most likely a bad 0 ring or a bur in either the pump tube or chamber area creating a gap. Now these guns get made, shipped and stored for who knows how long, a bad 0 ring, or a dry one, or a small bur on the gun could all account for this. The bur would be a fault of crosman, a bad ring is going to get in the mix every now and then, there's no way around it, and even good ones can get dry or have a defect, that's what I'm thinking at this point.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, in any case it is going back to Crosman next week.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

SO, it went and came back today. Valve was replaced gratis (although I did have to pay the freight to get to them). One shot was fine. We'll see!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1377 dies an early death... UPDATED!!!

Post by Buffboy »

You bringing this back up, I figured I'd better check mine. I pulled mine out of the drawer, then out of the old box, cocked it, gave it a couple pumps and it fired just fine. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been out of the box for at least 2 years and I know it's at least 30 years old.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith