94 returns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

94 returns?

Post by dad »

A friend at work told me that The Winchester would be bought back to general production. Not just the limited production that is happening now. Is that true or is he doing a joke on me.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 94 returns?

Post by J Miller »

dad,

I suppose it "might" happen, but I doubt it. In order to sell they'd have to price it along with the Marlins and other current lever guns. If they price it much over $600.00 they won't sell in the numbers it would take to make a profit.
My guess is they'll do just like they do with the 86, 92 and 95. They'll make a limited run every so often. That way they can keep the price high and still sell them.
Even that might not work considering just how many millions of real Win / USRAC 94s are out there for a lot better price.

JMHO

PS: I'm waiting for Chiappa or Uberti to start making them. At least then we'd have a true John Browning copy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The 94 will stay in Japan, and in limited numbers, as far as "Winchester" plans it now.
They don't think sales would justify a domestic product & costs would be high both to tool up for it & to buy one.
The Miroku plant in Japan doesn't have the capability to put the 94 into regular general production as it was here in the US.
This is from the company a couple months back.
Denis
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

Thanks, I thought that he was trying to play a joke on me.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Yoour welcome.
Denis
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Luckily, there are still some good, older 94's to be had.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The only way--and main justification--I think Win (or Uberti/Chiappa for that matter) will reintroduce a "plain" working man's 94 will be as a Pre-War Saddle Ring Carbine and (maybe) long rifle spec--the way they were built from 1894-1930 or so when shotgun butts and ramped front sights were more in the mix. in .30-30, and maybe .32-40 and .38-55. On the SRC, essentials would be carbine butt, top eject, front blade/post, rear ladder sight (per the Chiappa 92 and 86 carbine repros), etc. If Win builds it, my guess is it may and probably will STILL come with a tang safety to satisfy the lawyers. IF that was the only aggregious feature (and if the Italians didn't join in with their own 94), I'd be pretty tempted to buy it. (I can maybe see it tapped for a receiver sight and/or scout scope hidden under the rear barrel sight).

Can someone chime in with whether the tang safety and rebound hammer must go together? I.e., are they intrinsically linked?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The two are not linked. You can deactivate either without affecting the other.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The rebounding hammer system that came on my 94 is the biggest piece of useless junk I ever saw on a gun.the trigger pull on mine was off the scale. I have no doubt if usrac would have wanted they could have fit a tang saftey and left the standard half-cock hammer. one thing for sure is I will never again buy another usrac rebounder. :evil: .
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Sarge wrote:Luckily, there are still some good, older 94's to be had.
And that, my friends, is an understatement. There are enough used 94's around to supply the next generation - and if they remain tagged at current prices, the generation after that as well. Out here, the gun shows and pawn shops are littered with 94's; old ones, middle ones, new ones, good ones, bad ones, some simple, some ruined with rebounding hammers, some with bolts through the receiver, some without such bolts but buttons on the tang, some blue, some painted, some plated, some engraved, some etched, some just scratched, some with extra holes, some with sights, some without, some... Well, you get the picture. Anyone wanting a 94 can own a 94.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The "Model 94" can go the way of the dodo as far as I'm concerned and this thing they're making now out of Japan is ridiculous but the Winchester 1894? I'd love to see that lovely baby come back as a nice copy in the Cimarron line.

Regards,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Winchester says the rebounding hammer, safety & angle eject will remain on any new 94s at the insistence of their attorneys.
Denis
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

That's unfortunate. C'mon Chiappa or Uberti--how about a gen-u-wine Pre War 1894 SRC and long rifle?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd definitley be interested in a src. even with the rebounding hammer and tang safety. you're gonna have to live with those for liability issues hence more. the 86, and 92 sell well with these features. don't make it an angle eject :x . add so 8) me modern calibers, 450 marlin, 338 marlin, 356 wcf, etc. add some of the old ones; 38-55, 35 rem and sell it for about $600.00 bucks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, how about this; For the those who flat out refuse to buy the guns made with the rebounder action and lawyer safeties, we open a factory in Texas and produce a true John Browning 1894 SRC and rifle. Never mind Brownchester, the patents and copyrights expired long ago.

For those who like the rebounder and safeties, we get Browning to build them in Japan.

I vote for the Texas one. Matter of fact I'll move to Texas and go to work in the test fire and or QC dept.

Wow, I just cured a lot of problems. Whooo Hooo.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Joe, I like how you think!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I think if that's going to happen, then a company here like US Firearms or Bighorn Armory will have to make the move. They seem pretty dedicated to originality of design.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I should probably stay out of this one. I could care less about the rebounding hammer and tang safety. What I would like to see a 94 chambered in 25-35 with a nice long octagon barrel or a 64 in 219 zipper. The fancy $1500.00 tribute guns in 30-30 they just came out with turn my stomach.

Mack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

msmith1228 wrote:I should probably stay out of this one.
Naw, what fun would that be. Just jump in. :lol:
I could care less about the rebounding hammer and tang safety.
Well, we can't all like the same things - can we?
What I would like to see a 94 chambered in 25-35 with a nice long octagon barrel or a 64 in 219 zipper.
I would love to see that too. Get back to the roots. Especially the long tapered octagon barrels. I really do like those.
The fancy $1500.00 tribute guns in 30-30 they just came out with turn my stomach.
We are in absolute total agreement on that.

Mack
Joe