M92's and the ladder rear sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

M92's and the ladder rear sight?

Post by Poohgyrr »

Reading the thread on Dino's '92 reminded me that I keep reading about this rear sight, but I absolutely nothing about it. Looks interesting and seems like I need to learn what they are and all.

What can you guys say?
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: M92's and the ladder rear sight?

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have 2 origonal 1892 SRC 44-40´s. Out to 100 yards there is no need for a ladder sight. IF I needed to repel a group of hostles that were advancing across open country or hidding in some exposed rocks at 200 + yards then that ladder sight would be an advantage to place repeated shots in the general vicinity. The sight is a workable solution but lacks real fine tuning. The bullet will hurt bad out there but is not the "reliable" fight stopper I would want. Wind drift is awful past 100 yards.
But for hunting with a 44-40 (BP) I think I will just keep my shots within 100 yards absolute maximun and always try for less than 75 yards. The old Black Powder load with the 200 grain bullet was getting rather weak out past 100 yards. I would not expect complet penetration on large deer. Entrance wounds are not good "leak Holes" for tracking. Even with a load of 10 grains Unique with a 220 grain (Saaco 443) I will keep my 100 yard limit.
So maybe that is why so many SRC´s had the ladder sight removed and stuck in a box.
I have origonal SRC ladder sights. I have no plans using them to hunt with. They will sit in the sight box until I turn loose of my carbines.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The leaf sights (as Winchester called them) came on early carbines of all models, and a similar version on rifles up to the 86's in 45-70 cal. They are a military type sight, useful for rather extended ranges, not so useful for hunting or sporting use. Even on a 92 in 44 WCF the leaf could likely be used out to 1000 or more yards. Some of the very early carbine sights may have been marked in yards, but most are marked in a vernier scale, not corresponding to any particular range, just a reference scale for trial and error adjustments. The rifle leaf sights were marked in yards, as were military sights on virtually all military rifles until aperture (peep) sights became common on military rifles.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you regulate the front sight to give poi corresponding with the yardage marked on the sight, they can be very useful.
I've used the ladder sights on my 74 sharps out to 1000 yds in buffalomatch gong shooting, and when that little raghorn bull elk presented hisself broadside at 200 yds the ladder was set there and down he went, bullet landed exactly where it was supposed to.
I the 1879 Winchester catalog they spent a whole page talking about the accuracy of their rifle and the match wins at Creedmoor using the barrel mounted ladder sights.
It's just a matter of learning to use them, something that's been lost since the advent of the reciever peeps and scopes.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I have to admit I just think they're cool. I like the "period correctness" of them, with some 75% of original 92 and Pre War 94 carbines (through the 20s) being so equipped. Chiappa/Armi Sport is the only one making the 92s with them now (or even since 1941, other than the Spanish El Tigre 92s). I'd like to add a ladder to one of my Brownings and (figure out a way to) at least one of my Rossis.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Well, this could replace the receiver sight planned for a big bore Winchester I want to get.

I am still surprised at times with how well a good buckhorn/ brass bead setup can do. And then the iron sighted rifle guys (like Don) shoot way out there so it definitely can be done. (I'm not trying that, even with a scope so I could see that far!)

Maybe a ladder would also work on a top eject 24/26" M94 30-30AI project sitting in the safe...

In any case everything posted so far is definitely appreciated, as would anything else you guys want to add.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Hook

Post by Hook »

I can't speak to the M92s, but my 1886 Browning SRC repro has a, I think, near factory repro rear ladder sight that is spot on to 300 yds. I was more than a little surprised to see my standard 405 gr cast/28 gr 5744 load whacking the gongs just like I knew what I was doing at 1, 2, and 3 hundred. I haven't tried it beyond 300, so can't speak to that.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Don, thanks for the Buffalo Arms link.
Regarding the 86s, I think my Browning 86 SRC is one of the few I've seen with a buckhorn, likely a replacement of an OEM ladder as I bought the gun used.