Photo of my grandparents circa WWI

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Photo of my grandparents circa WWI

Post by Warhawk »

These are my mothers parents, who lived in Arkansas. They were married in 1917 so I would assume this is before he went off to WWI. But it's possible that this is after the war.

Full size pic at: http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Mrmrs_p.jpg

Family history says that his family came to Arkansas from Tenn. He was born in 1890, and his parents died when he was 13 and he raised 3 younger sisters working in the logging camps around Newport, AR. My efforts at genealogy haven't turned up much else.

He was well known in the area for his hunting and fishing exploits, and was known to be an excellent rifle shot. He apparently credited his skill with a rifle for keeping him alive through WWI, but not for the reason you might think. When his unit shipped to France, he was held back in England to be a rifle instructor. He eventually went to France, but I'm told that nearly all of his original unit died in the trenches.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Photo of my grandparents circa WWI

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Cool photo. What was his last name? My relatives came to AR from TN as well, must have been a popular wagon trail.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Phifer, fairly common name with an uncommon spelling.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have relatives that went to AR from TN also, wound up in CA....

:oops:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Judging by the uniform that is before he shipped to go overseas.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Hobie wrote:Judging by the uniform that is before he shipped to go overseas.
Judging by the smile on his face and the frown on her face, I would agree with Hobie.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great picture Warhawk! The looks on their faces say alot of about a fellow going off to War. Thanks for sharing that....
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

1988rrc wrote:
Judging by the smile on his face and the frown on her face, I would agree with Hobie.
I was going to say, she does not look overjoyed.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was gonna say...

He smiling, she's not. This is a BEFORE photo.

I reckon it would be the other way around if it was an AFTER.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Let me guess, they came through Searcy, Arkansas? It seems like everybody did. Must have been a ferry there.

Nice Photo. I don't have any that crisp of my old folks.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
1988rrc wrote:
I was going to say, she does not look overjoyed.
Gee, I thought I was going to be the first to notice this. Guess I'm late for the party again.

LK
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

vancelw wrote:Let me guess, they came through Searcy, Arkansas? It seems like everybody did. Must have been a ferry there.

They settled near Searcy, my mom still lives in that area.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Warhawk wrote:
vancelw wrote:Let me guess, they came through Searcy, Arkansas? It seems like everybody did. Must have been a ferry there.

I think My great-grandma Anderson was born in Searcy in either 1896 or 1898 (she couldn't remember which) She ended up and orphan and was married at 13 (in Blue, Indian Territory) to a man nearly 40 years older than her. I'm sure she was a burden on the family that took her in and my Great grandpa was probably a widower. I always thought she was a Yankee, coming from the northen state of Arkansas and all :D

I am always amazed at people I talk to about their family history. It seems like, if they came from Tennessee, they came through Searcy. I wish I knew more of the history about that trail/route. Most of my folks came the more southerly route from Alabama and Georgia back when Texas was the wild frontier.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like a happy fellow. Your grandmother doesn't look all too happy though! :shock:
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

vancelw wrote:
Warhawk wrote:

I think My great-grandma Anderson was born in Searcy in either 1896 or 1898 (she couldn't remember which) She ended up and orphan and was married at 13 (in Blue, Indian Territory) to a man nearly 40 years older than her. I'm sure she was a burden on the family that took her in and my Great grandpa was probably a widower. I always thought she was a Yankee, coming from the northen state of Arkansas and all :D

I am always amazed at people I talk to about their family history. It seems like, if they came from Tennessee, they came through Searcy. I wish I knew more of the history about that trail/route. Most of my folks came the more southerly route from Alabama and Georgia back when Texas was the wild frontier.
My folks bought the land with the old house place where my mom was born and grew up. They built a new house of course, but I can remember when I was a kid and we would go to the old farmhouse. My grandparents only got electricity in the late '50s and running water a couple years after that. The only running water in the house was at the kitchen sink, and they used an outhouse their entire lives.

There was a sunken road that went behind the house, the story was that the road was a major route north out of Searcy during the civil war. When I was a teenager my cousin and I found a CSA buckle, in very poor condition, while disking up some ground on the edge of this "road". Years later my brother worked with a civil war buff who came out with a metal detector and found a few things that we possibly from CSA soldiers.

I got interested in all this because I was sure that my mother's side had confederate soldiers, but the genealogy records on that side are a dead end (so far). But I was able to go back on my dad's side and found that I have many ancestors who fought under the stars and bars.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I live in Batesville on the White river, Newport is about 20 miles down river. My daughter lives in Searcy about 40 miles south of here. Newport is in Jackson county and Searcy is in Whity county.Independence county where I live was broken up to make several counties. The Indepndence County Regonal Historical Museum has many records from this area and can help you with a search, 1-870-793-2121.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

JerryB wrote:I live in Batesville on the White river, Newport is about 20 miles down river. My daughter lives in Searcy about 40 miles south of here. Newport is in Jackson county and Searcy is in Whity county.Independence county where I live was broken up to make several counties. The Indepndence County Regonal Historical Museum has many records from this area and can help you with a search, 1-870-793-2121.
I think we've talked before. My mom's address is Judsonia, but she actually lives at Providence, which is too small for a post office.

Sometime when I'm there I just need to make time to get to the library and do some research.