OT- A great site to look at your old home place etc.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- A great site to look at your old home place etc.

Post by rangerider7 »

This website was a lot of fun for me I hope it is for y'all.

http://www.vpike.com/
"That'll Be The Day"
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- A great site to look at your old home place etc.

Post by nemhed »

They don't have street views for my address, but if you like this kind of stuff you should try GoogleEarth, it's free. It has great 3d aerial views of my area and I use at home and work all the time.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I found that the house we lived in in Huntersville, WV has been demolished. It was there a couple of years ago, gone now... A great old antebellum house gone forever. Let's see what other places I'll never be able to go back to.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

How would a fella go about getting the job of driving around taking all those pictures?
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

yup, that seems an easy deal, drive 100 feet, take a picture, drive 100 feet take another one. I am sure it is automatic some how....maybe John Browning invented the camera they would use! I tried a couple of places all said "no street views available"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D I know a couple of "rural" folks that'll be maddern a wet hen if they find out there's pictures looking right down their driveway to the front door of the house. :lol: They aren't real sure they like the idea of being able to zoom in on the place from Google maps down to tight enough resolution to make out cows at the windmill. :o :)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I did manage to find my house, my shop, the old family place in Utah... Did NOT find a couple other outlying places I've lived.

Lots of places -- especially the more rural locations -- have NOT been photographed. May not be, in the near future...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's no picture of our place here, and they're running about 3 years behind. The address and county road name has changed, they're still running on the old addy.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I think the photos were made around 2007.
"That'll Be The Day"
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Thanks for the link..................

I'm a bit saddened as the home I was raised in was leveled and condos replaced it.

Just goes to show, nothing lasts forever............ :wink:

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool site, but I was saddened to see the condition of the house I built in Idaho.
NRA Life Member
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Yes, I understand. I was saddened by the condition of the house my dad built in Austin. Many of the places I hung out are gone but some aren't. I have great memories of certain places and it was fun to relive them.
"That'll Be The Day"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

dkmlever wrote:yup, that seems an easy deal, drive 100 feet, take a picture, drive 100 feet take another one. I am sure it is automatic some how....maybe John Browning invented the camera they would use! I tried a couple of places all said "no street views available"
I think it is just a car with a plastic 'bubble' on top that takes continuous footage; I saw it drive down our road.
rangerider7 wrote:I think the photos were made around 2007.
The ones near us (Indiana) were made last summer (2009).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kinda fun... kinda spooky! :shock:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Don McDowell wrote::D I know a couple of "rural" folks that'll be maddern a wet hen if they find out there's pictures looking right down their driveway to the front door of the house. :lol: They aren't real sure they like the idea of being able to zoom in on the place from Google maps down to tight enough resolution to make out cows at the windmill. :o :)
I live in the city & I wasn't real pleased to see my house. At least my dog was growling at the camera.