marlin 44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

marlin 44

Post by onegoodshot »

Looking at the bores of the lever guns in a local shop yesterday and saw a large hole so I picked it up and it was a blue Marlin 44mag round barrel (sling studs and NO safety) in very good shape (90% ish). Nice wood and appeared stock except for a hammer extension.
What is a good price for such a gun and what do I need to look for as far as other questions go?

Gun was priced at $400, but there is wiggle room there.
Thanks,
Joe
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: marlin 44

Post by Mich Hunter »

Good price in my neck of the woods.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Man, if you could get it down around $350 or at most $375, you will have a pretty good deal. Around here $400 is a good deal IF you could even find one. The past few years its been tough to find a .44 of any kind at my local gunshow or in the classifieds.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

In this part of Arkansaw that would be a gone deal, we just don't see them here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Around here it would have never made it to the shelf at that price; someone would have been a 'friend of the gunshop owner' and had dibs on it. Indiana just started 'pistol caliber rifle season for deer' a couple years ago, and the shotgun guys are finally realizing their fancy 'high-velocity saboted slugs' are the same bullets in expensive, high-recoil cartridges that fit their ungainly slug-guns - we can spit them out of a 1894 faster, more accurately, and ten times in a row (not that a levergunner would need that for deer hunting - but it could come in handy if the Indians attack...). The cheater-guys who were using .30-06's & 7mm Remington Magnums illegally here are finally realizing that their guns don't kill whitetails ANY deader or faster than our handy little 1894 Marlins, and shooting a whitetail safely in Indiana at more than 150 yards is rare (and finding it afterwards may be even more rare, from some I've watched do so).

As to what to 'look for' - unless the thing got run over by a truck and the receiver or the barrel is bent, there isn't much you couldn't find and fix yourself - it is a 100-year-old mechanism, and parts are easy to get, inexpensive, and can be put in by the home-gunsmith nearly always.

Mostly, just look over your shoulder to make sure that if you leave the store to 'think it over', nobody right behind you snaps it up!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Are you still sitting there reading this?

Better buy it before it is gone!

8)
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

onegoodshot wrote:Looking at the bores of the lever guns in a local shop yesterday and saw a large hole so I picked it up and it was a blue Marlin 44mag round barrel (sling studs and NO safety) in very good shape (90% ish). Nice wood and appeared stock except for a hammer extension.
What is a good price for such a gun and what do I need to look for as far as other questions go?

Gun was priced at $400, but there is wiggle room there.
Thanks,
Joe

Joe,
That would be a good price here for a 1894 model. If it is a 336 model (only made for a couple of years), it would be an exceptional deal....is it a 1894 or 336?

Dan
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a pre-safety 1894 carbine. In the condition you state, it won't be there long!!!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I paid more than that for a 1996 model w/crossbolt, here in Az.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

I've really been searching for a 41 even though I know I'll have to pay alot more for it.
I'll see what kind of deal we can make this week and let you guys know what happens.
I appreciate the information AND everyone's willingness to help me spend my $.
Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

onegoodshot wrote:I've really been searching for a 41 even though I know I'll have to pay alot more for it.
I'll see what kind of deal we can make this week and let you guys know what happens.
I appreciate the information AND everyone's willingness to help me spend my $.
Joe
We are a bunch of enablers here! :lol:

Consider this - that .44 will be fun to shoot, and will make potential trading fodder later for the .41 when it comes along. You may/will need to kick in more, but I doubt you'll have any problem finding a willing buyer for it.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Consider this - that .44 will be fun to shoot, and will make potential trading fodder later for the .41 when it comes along.
Dear God! :shock:

I've used that line of reasoning for 35 years! BEAUTIFUL :D

Got most of those still in the safe that were to be 'trade fodder'............... :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :mrgreen: Buy it now and never look back !!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2X22 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Consider this - that .44 will be fun to shoot, and will make potential trading fodder later for the .41 when it comes along.
Dear God! :shock:

I've used that line of reasoning for 35 years! BEAUTIFUL :D

Got most of those still in the safe that were to be 'trade fodder'............... :lol:

2x22
:D :D :D

The operative word is "potential"... :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds good to me, they are a real hoot to shoot, I would never part with mine :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I put one together for $150.00 :?
Does that make me a bad person? :roll:
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I agree... BUY ! BUY ! BUY !!!
Then you can sell it to me when a 41 shows up.
I watched Gunbroker and others for well over a year until MY 41 showed up at a price I could afford. NO I will not sell it. You cannot imaging what a 265 GC pushed by 1680 will do to unwarry critters.
BUT a 444 will do so much more !
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The operative word is "potential"... :wink:
Ahhh yes. My new word! The wife may not like my new word...... :mrgreen:

2x22
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

onegoodshot,

So ... it's almost noon IL time, you got that Marlin .44 home yet?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

missionary5155 wrote:Good morning
I agree... BUY ! BUY ! BUY !!!
Then you can sell it to me when a 41 shows up.
I watched Gunbroker and others for well over a year until MY 41 showed up at a price I could afford. NO I will not sell it. You cannot imaging what a 265 GC pushed by 1680 will do to unwarry critters.
BUT a 444 will do so much more !

8) Get's my vote! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

76/444 wrote:[

8) Get's my vote! 8)
mine too :D

----- Doug
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I sure hope You buy the darn thing.I would.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

Worked today.
I'll keep you all updated.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Sounds like a pre-safety 1894 carbine. In the condition you state, it won't be there long!!!

YK,

I would guess that you're correct about it being a pre-safety 1894. I still wonder if he found a 336-44....they were pre-cross bolt safety as well.

Best,
Dan
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Far be it for me to dissuade you! I liked my old one and like the new one... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:Far be it for me to dissuade you! I liked my old one and like the new one... :wink:
Hobie, I was checking out the link there (http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... rbine.html) and noted your WINCHESTER jammed, so you replaced it with a MARLIN...

You must have been a victim of the dreaded WINCHESTER-94 JAM... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
peabody
Levergunner

Post by peabody »

JUST FOUND THIS THREAD.

AND ? AND ? WHAT ?

DID YOU BUY IT ???????????

this is killing me. i have a pre-64 winchester 30-30, but i'ed kill for a marlin .44

or better yet, marlin 94, no safety, .357 mag.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

No update. I went to the pawn shop after closing the pharmacy this evening and they had just closed as well. Will have to try again Thursday.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

mine, brand new 2 yrs ago, on sale at BIG 5 sporting goods, 399.99. My son will be taking that one, as I am not a huge Marllin fan. But would in a heartbeat take the cowboy 45-70.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I was faced with the identical situation a couple of years ago. Tore the button off my back pocket reaching for my wallet.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

I sneaked out of the pharmacy a little while ago. Looked at the gun and it is a 94. Wood was in good shape, but closer exam of the blueing revealed some scratches and blueing wear on the end of the barrel. Still an 85% gun though. Everything was tight and it seemed to have a decent trigger.

I offered him $350 out the door and he declined.

I'm working this store later in the month and I might try it again as they usually deal better the last few days of the month. I do get paid tomorrow and my wife would love to unknowingly get my Valentines Day present.

I really want a 41.

If someone wants the store info, PM me.