OT-I sharpened a knife today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

OT-I sharpened a knife today

Post by Chas. »

Now that's not normally an earth-shaking event. This is a kitchen knife that's used every day, at most every meal. It slices sandwiches, carves turkey, de-bones country ham, and trims beef/pork. It's even been known to open a UPS package from time to time. Why this is so unusual is that this knife hasn't been sharpened since I got it - in 2003 - 7 years ago. It's a Forschner and apparently a pretty good piece of steel. I wish all my knives were as good.

...just a miscellaneous rambling.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT-I sharpened a knife today

Post by Blaine »

I"ve always heard those were high quality. I have a couple CutCos and a Warther or two and it's nice having good knives in the kitchen and your belt/pocket, too. I'm not very careful with mine, so every so often, I'll smooth out the little knicks on a crock stick. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I just got one of the ceramic knives(6in chef), time will tell how it holds up. But, so far it debones pork shoulders well, and cuts through the hide very well. I haven't sharpened it (Couldn't if I wanted to, have to send it back to factory), the edge is literally a razor, it did bite me once, set it down and was talking when I picked it up.

Steve
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

SteveR wrote:I just got one of the ceramic knives(6in chef), time will tell how it holds up. But, so far it debones pork shoulders well, and cuts through the hide very well. I haven't sharpened it (Couldn't if I wanted to, have to send it back to factory), the edge is literally a razor, it did bite me once, set it down and was talking when I picked it up.

Steve
It's possible for you to sharpen your ceramic knife. Go to "You Tube" and put Ceramic Knife Sharpening in the Search box.
ED
Yer never too old
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Modoc ED wrote:
SteveR wrote:I just got one of the ceramic knives(6in chef), time will tell how it holds up. But, so far it debones pork shoulders well, and cuts through the hide very well. I haven't sharpened it (Couldn't if I wanted to, have to send it back to factory), the edge is literally a razor, it did bite me once, set it down and was talking when I picked it up.

Steve
It's possible for you to sharpen your ceramic knife. Go to "You Tube" and put Ceramic Knife Sharpening in the Search box.
Thank you, I will take a look.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

SteveR wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:

Steve
Thank you, I will take a look.

Steve
Basically said you have to send it back to factory to sharpen.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559360_sharpen ... knife.html

Where there's a will there's a way. That said, unless you abuse a ceramic knife, it normally never needs sharpening.

Good luck with your knife. The ceramic knifes are pretty cool.
ED
Yer never too old
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Modoc ED wrote:http://www.ehow.com/how_4559360_sharpen ... knife.html

Where there's a will there's a way. That said, unless you abuse a ceramic knife, it normally never needs sharpening.

Good luck with your knife. The ceramic knifes are pretty cool.
Thanks for the link, like you said if there is a will there is a way! But, buy the time I buy what is needed, I think it would be easier to send back for resharping.

It doesn't have a chips so far, which tend to occur when deboning, I will use my steel blades for such work and save the ceramic for general stuff.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Chas. wrote:Now that's not normally an earth-shaking event. This is a kitchen knife that's used every day, at most every meal. It slices sandwiches, carves turkey, de-bones country ham, and trims beef/pork. It's even been known to open a UPS package from time to time. Why this is so unusual is that this knife hasn't been sharpened since I got it - in 2003 - 7 years ago. It's a Forschner and apparently a pretty good piece of steel. I wish all my knives were as good.

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread.

Steve
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My current wife don't appreiciate good steel and hence only buys cheap knifes for the kitchen so I am constanly sharpening them, the trouble is her purse is tighter than a ducks,,, what you say, fanny I think!

Nath :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CutCo knives are the best I have ever used.
Super sharp and the edge will last for years
but they are very expensive.....but i got sick
and tired of dull knives and bought an entire set
500 smackers :o ...it included a hunting knife
that handled a 275 wild boar with no problem...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Chas. wrote:Now that's not normally an earth-shaking event. This is a kitchen knife that's used every day, at most every meal. It slices sandwiches, carves turkey, de-bones country ham, and trims beef/pork. It's even been known to open a UPS package from time to time. Why this is so unusual is that this knife hasn't been sharpened since I got it - in 2003 - 7 years ago. It's a Forschner and apparently a pretty good piece of steel. I wish all my knives were as good.

Chas,

Just wondering... Is your Forschner knife a forged or stamped blade? They make both. The forged blade is heavier, I think will say "Made in Germany" on it, will have a full length tang through the handel, and 3 handle rivets. The stamped blades are lighter weight and are "finished'' in Switzerland.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIHMFIRE wrote:CutCo knives are the best I have ever used.
I just caved and bought the CutCo hunting knife.....The blade is a bit thin for my taste, but boy, howdy, what a nice blade. Did you get the newfangled D serration, or just the regular blade? I was impressed with the D blades, but you can't sharpen them at home, at least not in a conventional manner. Warther Knives are almost as good as CutCo, but half the price. I've got a couple of them my Mom gave me 30 years ago. He will make a custom hunter, too, for 375 and a 14 month wait...just as good or better quality as Randle...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

mod71alaska wrote:

Chas,

Just wondering... Is your Forschner knife a forged or stamped blade? They make both. The forged blade is heavier, I think will say "Made in Germany" on it, will have a full length tang through the handel, and 3 handle rivets. The stamped blades are lighter weight and are "finished'' in Switzerland.
It's a very thin blade and says "Made in Switzerland" on the blade and only has 2 rivets. The number is 40117.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

BlaineG wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:CutCo knives are the best I have ever used.
I just caved and bought the CutCo hunting knife.....The blade is a bit thin for my taste, but boy, howdy, what a nice blade. Did you get the newfangled D serration, or just the regular blade? I was impressed with the D blades, but you can't sharpen them at home, at least not in a conventional manner. Warther Knives are almost as good as CutCo, but half the price. I've got a couple of them my Mom gave me 30 years ago. He will make a custom hunter, too, for 375 and a 14 month wait...just as good or better quality as Randle...
I got the D serrated knives...including the hunting knife..
I was very impressed how it cut though that wild bore...1/2" thick hide
As far as sharpening...they said it would be years, with normal use,
before they need to be sharpened...
and I believe you can send them off to get sharpened....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sharpened free for life of knife. The local CutCo rep I bought off of is qualified for do it herself.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Chas,the Forschner knives made in Switzerland are very good. they are not "custom" or "miracle" knives but with care will stay sharp for along time. treat them right and like any other tool they will perform. I highly recommend a butchers steel, or one of the diamond coated steels. I use Forschner's every day.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

.45colt wrote:Chas,the Forschner knives made in Switzerland are very good. they are not "custom" or "miracle" knives but with care will stay sharp for along time. treat them right and like any other tool they will perform. I highly recommend a butchers steel, or one of the diamond coated steels. I use Forschner's every day.
Yea, I have a steel I use occasionally, but this is the first time I've had to use a stone. Once every 7 years or so ain't bad.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Most ceramic knives can be sharpened on a diamond hone. That is what I use on my creamic swivel knives (for leather carving) followed by a swipe over a jewelers' rouge strop. works every time.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ceramic swivel knives. Now that is an inspired application!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Buck Elliott wrote:Most ceramic knives can be sharpened on a diamond hone. That is what I use on my creamic swivel knives (for leather carving) followed by a swipe over a jewelers' rouge strop. works every time.
Thanks Buck, but, I am not sure if it would be worth it for me to buy a diamond hone and strop. I doubt I will wear the edge down in the near future. I haven't checked to see how much the factory charges for sharping.

Steve
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE USED MY HUNTING KNIVES IN THE KITCHEN FOR MANY YEARS. A BUCK 105 MAKES A HECK OF A FINE KITCHEN KNIFE AS DOES THEIR OLD STYLE FILET KNIFE. THE RUSSELL CANADIAN BELT KNIFE WORKED GREAT IN THE KITCHEN. CURRENTLY I HAVE TWO OPINEL KNIVES AT USE IN THE KITCHEN, AND THE LATEST KNIFE I BOUGHT AND PUT TO USE IN THE KITCHEN IS THE NEW BOKER RE-ISSUE OF THEIR USAF 4 1/2" SURVIVAL KNIFE WHICH A.G. RUSSELL JUST STARTED MARKETING AGAIN [ NO !!! THIS IS NOT THE USAF SURVIVAL/DEFENSE KNIFE THAT LOOKS LIKE A SHORT KABAR. ] THIS KNIFE WAS IN THE SAC SURVIVAL KIT AND WAS MEANT FOR CLEANING SMALL GAME, FISH ETC BY DOWNED PILOTS BEFORE WE JERKED 'EM BACK TO FREEDOM AND THE NEXT B52 ON THE FLIGHT LINE. IT WAS ORIGINALLY MADE BY BOKER FOR SAC AND THE SHEATH IS MARKED "SAC".
IT DOES LOOK FOR ALL THE WORLD LIKE THE OLD CASE LEATHER WASHER HANDLE HUNTING KNIFE WITH THE 5" CHROMIUM PLATED CV BLADES FROM 40 TO 50 YEARS AGO,[ AND ALSO RE-ISSUED IN THE PAST YEAR OR SO..]
THE A.G.RUSSELL STOCK NUMBER IS : 02BO155R
PS : LET ME ADD THIS BOKER HAS SOME FINE HIGH CARBON STEEL THAT HOLDS A FEROCIOUS EDGE THAT HAS ALSO TAKEN A BLUING FROM IT'S USE OVER THE PAST MONTH THAT IS WONDERFUL TO BEHOLD.
Last edited by Terry Murbach on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I bought Cutco from my son, but they aren't any better overall than my old fashioned ones that I regularly hone.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have to say that I enjoy using a good, high quality knife as much as I enjoy shooting a good, high quality firearm. Good steel just seems to make the fun parts of life better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

If you are ever in Dover Ohio visit Warthers, a most fascinating experience.
Buy some knives for your kitchen there, they are really good and will last you forever.
Google "Warthers" and prepare to be amazed :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Borregos wrote:If you are ever in Dover Ohio visit Warthers, a most fascinating experience.
Buy some knives for your kitchen there, they are really good and will last you forever.
Google "Warthers" and prepare to be amazed :D :D
+1 and then some. I'm thinking of having a custom hunter made there...Every bit the quality of Randle without the name.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Dingelfutz
Levergunner

Post by Dingelfutz »

mod71alaska wrote:

Chas,

Forschner is the importer of these knives, or at least has been until recently. The maker is Victorinox, the company that makes Swiss Army Knives.

I have these knives in both stamped and forged versions and I like them both. I have a 6-inch forged chef's knife that I would hate to part with, for example. An awful lot of these knives end up in restaurant kitchens. I figure that if these knives are good enough for the pros then they are good enough for me.

I really don't know how long it would take for one of these knives to get dull. I tend to be a bit compulsive about knife edges. Any knife that enters my life gets sharpened immediately after I obtain it and then it is steeled, stropped, and sharpened frequently, afterwards.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You can strop a decent edge to razor sharp on a pad of good paper.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brian1
Levergunner

Post by brian1 »

I normally sharpened my knife every 2 months. I'm very particular the sharpness of my knife.