Old photo of Indian with lever.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old photo of Indian with lever.

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
76/444

Re: Old photo of Indian with lever.

Post by 76/444 »

One fancy Indian, right there!!!
Last edited by 76/444 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'd say a '76, by the length of the carrier...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I won't bet the farm on this, but I'll go with a '73 rifle, for the following two reasons:

1. I just took my original '76 rifle off the wall here and looked at it. It seems to me that the brass carrier in the photo is too short for its width to be a '76, but I'll admit it's a bit of a tough call.

2. I stood my '76 butt on the floor to see where the muzzle of the standard 28" barrel comes. That is either one very tall Indian or he's got a '76 short rifle. I'm 6' 0" and the muzzle of my '76 comes up to my sternum, well past where the muzzle in the photo is. If that rifle in the photo is a standard length '76, that Indian would have to be at least 6'6" tall. Of course, he might have a short rifle, but then the barrel would have to be no longer than 24" if he was as tall as me, and more likely 22".

3. To me, those cartridges look too short to be for a '76, but 44 WCF (44-40) would not be out of line. Compare those cartridges with his thumb. My .45-60 cartridges are longer than the inside of my thumb (if I don't really shove them in there). The Indian's cartridges are quite a bit shorter than his thumb.

So, as I said before, it's a bit of a tough call, and I won't bet the farm on this, but I tend to lean toward it being a '73.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'll go with Kirk and the "stumpy Indian" theory.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Maybe, if we turned the picture sideways, we could see the side-plates,,,?!?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

What I want to know is what happen to the other Indian under the war bonnet to his right. He is either real short or looks like a tree stump. :D Kirk sorry to make you work so hard. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

rangerider7 wrote:What I want to know is what happen to the other Indian under the war bonnet to his right. He is either real short or looks like a tree stump. :D Kirk sorry to make you work so hard. :)
I think the other Indian is hiding behind the stump. The first Indian is just a decoy. When you get up close enough, the other one pops up and .... well ..... yer done fer! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I think I was seeing the reflection off the bottom of the receiver, just ahead of the carrier, which made it look longer than it really is. I'll have to revise my estimate downward to a '73...
Regards

Buck

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Just the cartridges in his belt alone say 73. the rifle also SEEMS to be a 73.
Certified gun nut
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

He's not real old, and it's a '73. Next guess, is he a real indian, or is this another of the studio pictures we see here from time to time.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

He's real.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Likely he was attending or going to attend the Indian school at Carlisle, PA.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's what I was going to say Hobie. My dad knew a couple of Indians that went to school there, they told him it was really bad, they tried to make white men of them.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

York, PA? A bit far east for that attire, wouldn't you say?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

hes a real injun...in rented duds!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

just a gut feeling but i would say real Indian but im a an Indian too, Osage one of the civilized tribes so they say.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If those ARE his duds, I'm kinda thinkin' Crow or Blackfeet...
Regards

Buck

shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Well guys I am indian from two sources Seneca and Oneida and I am a short guy now only 6' 1 1/2" since I broke my back a few decades ago before that I was 6'-4" I am bald, full beard and blue eyes.
I am also part german, english, irish, Welch, and scotish. In my younger days that really messed things up when the fire water and I got together.
As to how tall the indian in the picture is we need something of known height which I don't see any and from what I can see he is an eastern indian.
Some of the tribes back east were sort of peaceful from time to time but some just plain hated white men and dealt with them accordingly.
Just a small history lesson the Onedia sided with the british and the Senecas sided with the colonists in the war for creation of this nation. Nothing personal just who they felt was the side to be on/with. In later years they both disliked the foreigners and liked the colonists and then hated even the colonists when their numbers got larger and they wanted more land.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think that the short one is a master of disguise. Thanks for posting this picture Rangerider7.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost