An interesting thread on 24 Hour Campfire...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

An interesting thread on 24 Hour Campfire...

Post by RSY »

"Why Do Most Gunwriters Ignore Leveractions?"

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... cs/3688538
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An interesting thread on 24 Hour Campfire...

Post by crs »

yes, and they have had some really good threads on the .405 over there too.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

The hunting & fishing (or "Outdoor Sports") industry is built around convincing us that we need the newest, latest and greatest rifle, cartridge, scope, boots, this year's camouflage pattern and "scent free" clothes. Most of today's gun rags are nothing more than advertisements to help sell us all this junk that we don't need.

I still subscribe to GUNS and AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazines, mainly to read John Taffin's work. When Mr Taffin writes about a rifle, it's usually a lever gun. In fact he has an article in the latest issue of GUNS about the new for 2010 Oliver F Winchester commemorative Model 94.

Magazines are dying out anyway, going the way of the newspaper. Now we have the web, with forums like this one to serve virtually any interest. There is plenty of levergun content on the web to keep us occupied without ever buying another magazine.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Let me try: The rags are geared for the newer generation. Us old guys usualy own all the guns we need. Younger people are into new, not retro. The winchesters arent made like pre 64. Kids are brainwashed into fiberglass, not pretty wood and nice blueing. Its all about magnums, glass, camo guns, stainless and "tactical".
Its no longer the guys in red and black plad coats with black horn rimmed glass,s toteing a marlin 336, get with the program, shave your head, wear a black stocking cap, smear your face with camo, carry some AR type with a tripod, climb a tree and ambush bambi. But you must not forget for grizz protection your 10 mm piece.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Own all the guns I need... I gotta wrap my head around that one!

:wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Hobie wrote:Own all the guns I need... I gotta wrap my head around that one!

:wink:

+1 :shock:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Having spent my fair share of time in camo, face paint, with an AR waiting to ambush other people.....my "pure hunting gun" is a Marlin 1894 made the same year as me (1977) and I wear dark colored clothing as a rule (tan/brown/green) since with my job, range time is part of the job at times.

So while I'll bring an AR with all the goodies for a night hunt after pigs, etc......if i ever go after deer one of these days, it will be with an iron-sighted .44 Magnum levergun, blued and wood stocked.

In bolt actions for a hard use, backcountry gun (I am by preference a bolt action man, generally a .30-06, but i appreciate leverguns for their uses) I'd use a stainless/synthetic Remington or Savage probably. Because I've spent days on end being rained and snowed on, and rust sucks. Parkerization helps, as does synthetic stocks, and stainless or the other wonder finishes do great. I can appreciate a spectacularly blued, nicely wood stocked rifle as much as any other man but i wouldn't use it as my go to gun for hunting anymore now that there are options.