Stolen guns, Dallas SCI show this past weekend...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore45colt
Levergunner 1.0

Stolen guns, Dallas SCI show this past weekend...

Post by bigbore45colt »

Guys,

These guns were stolen from Doug Turnbull at the Dallas SCI show this last week.

If you can please be on the lookout for these and don't hesitate to pass the word around.

Anyone with any info can contact the office at Turnbull's or send me the info and I will forward to them.

Thanx in advance for your help.

BB45C

1) 3002 - Colt 1902 .38 ACP s/n 40760

2) 3031 - Colt 1911 .45 ACP s/n 474114

3) 3130 - Colt 1911 s/n 315222

4) 3603 - Ruger Vaquero revolver 4 5/8 inch barrel .44 Special s/n 520-17265

5) DT242 - Turnbull Mfg. Open Range revolver 5 1/2 inch bbl. .45 Colt s/n 104

6) DT325 - Turnbull Mfg. Open Range revolver 4 3/4 inch barrel .45 Colt s/n 130
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Stolen guns, Dallas SCI show this past weekend...

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW DID THEY EVER FILCH THAT MANY FROM A SHOW ??
THOSE WILL SHOW UP QUICKLY IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS AS THEY STAND OUT LIKE A NUDE AT A CHURCH SOCIAL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I'd say the person in charge of the guns safe keeping was negligent and irresponsible.

Those guns will probably go into a private collection or maybe go out of the country or maybe go to some gang-banger.
ED
Yer never too old
Nixterdemus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nixterdemus »

Sad no doubt. I was at a show and an older gentleman was asking vendors in the area if he'd left his pistol on their counter/did they have it in their possession.

If thieves lost a hand when caught it might not prevent them from being thieves, but it would slow them down to half speed.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We need to go back to public hangings.......... :evil:
NRA Life Member
bigbore45colt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bigbore45colt »

I agree with you guys.

Apparently, there was a security lapse when the night time cleaning crew was taking "stuff" out to the dumpsters during their nightly clean-up. Nobody was monitoring what they were taking out to dump.

BB45C
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That's a pretty serious accusation to make against the "cleaning crew". Why them? It could have been anyone. Even the owner of the guns in order to make money off an insurance claim.

Ted H - The one that ought to be hung here is the gun owner. He/she is ultimately responsible for the safe keeping of his/her guns. He/she better hope nobody is hurt/killed with those guns. If so, he/she might just be held liable civily and in some states criminally.
ED
Yer never too old
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Modoc, no doubt there was a lapse in security, but that's not a free pass for someone to take what's not theirs. I have zero tolorance for thieves.
NRA Life Member
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Modoc ED wrote:Ted H - The one that ought to be hung here is the gun owner. He/she is ultimately responsible for the safe keeping of his/her guns. He/she better hope nobody is hurt/killed with those guns. If so, he/she might just be held liable civily and in some states criminally.
Partially true. The owner should do everything possible to make sure his guns are safe and secure, that is his responsibility, but he is not ultimately responsible for the actions of others. If I have my guns in the safe, and the alarm set, and the dog in the house, but I leave to go to church on Sunday and come home to find my guns gone and my dog dead, am I responsible for the thieves' actions?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
bigbore45colt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bigbore45colt »

ModDoc ED - You're right. It wasn't meant as an accusation, merely an answer to Terry's question but I realize how it reads.

Just to clarify... I heard this from the person who's guns were stolen (Turnbull Restoration), off of their table, overnight. I am not in any position to make any accusations, or even report on the facts, since I am neither qualified to do so, nor an involved party. I will abstain from rumor monguering going forward and just stick to the facts.

I was just passing along what I have been told along with the facts that high end guns were stolen, from a dealer's table, overnight at Dallas SCI show this past weekend :D

BB45C
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

TedH wrote:Modoc, no doubt there was a lapse in security, but that's not a free pass for someone to take what's not theirs. I have zero tolorance for thieves.
I agree with you completely. The thieves were/are no doubt scum sucking, lowlife, jerks BUT the gun owner has to share at least 50% of the blame in this situation for leaving the guns unattended and unlocked.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

shooter wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Ted H - The one that ought to be hung here is the gun owner. He/she is ultimately responsible for the safe keeping of his/her guns. He/she better hope nobody is hurt/killed with those guns. If so, he/she might just be held liable civily and in some states criminally.
Partially true. The owner should do everything possible to make sure his guns are safe and secure, that is his responsibility, but he is not ultimately responsible for the actions of others. Yes he is, especially, if he walks off the floor and leaves the guns unattended and not locked up.

If I have my guns in the safe, and the alarm set, and the dog in the house, but I leave to go to church on Sunday and come home to find my guns gone and my dog dead, am I responsible for the thieves' actions? In this scenario, no, you are not to be held liable in my opinion. You have taken every reasonable measure to ensure the safe keeping of your firearms.
ED
Yer never too old
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Ed, I cant believe you think the gun owner is 50% of the blame for his guns being stolen. I just dont understand.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

dr walker wrote:Ed, I cant believe you think the gun owner is 50% of the blame for his guns being stolen. I just dont understand.
He left them unattended. There may have been security in the hall but he left them unattended on his table if what the OP has posted is true. Evidently, they were not attached to the table or display area either. It would have been a simple thing to lock those guns in a container and chain/lock it to he display area. Evidently that wasn't done. Six relatively small handguns wouldn't have been enough of a burden for the owner to take the guns with him.

That's just my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I can't believe something like that happened at a Safari Club gathering. The world has truly gone to Hell.

Dave
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Modoc, I have to say that I do agree with you on the unattended guns. If he left them unattended and unsecured, then he is partially responsible. That's what I think on the one hand. On the other, I don't think anything should HAVE TO BE LOCKED UP. People should leave stuff alone if it isn't theirs. I guess it's a sad fact that not all can do this, so it does become the responsibility of the owner to safeguard his possessions. What happened to the days when you could leave your doors unlocked?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Somebody steals my property they are 100% at fault it dont matter if its my dog, horse, cow or gun. The courts dont differentiate whether it's a gun or not the only consideration is the value,felony theft or petty theft. Besides when a dealer/seller rents a table at a show he also rents security for his table. danny
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

[quote="Modoc ED"]I'd say the person in charge of the guns safe keeping was negligent and irresponsible.

&

That's a pretty serious accusation to make against the "cleaning crew". Why them? It could have been anyone. Even the owner of the guns in order to make money off an insurance claim.
[Quote]

Theft is illegal. The presumption of our society is that people will act in conformity with the law. How can someone be responsible for the illegal actions of another?

Seems too soon to assess blame on the safekeeper & exonerate the sweepers.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I can't see how the victim is responsible at all here.

At many of these gun/craft shows, displays are left out
overnight, and security is provided.

Some lowlife ripped the poor guy off.

The issue here is whether or not one should trust another to
keep tabs on one's property, and how one should choose
that individual or organization.

I don't lock up everything in the house in my safe when I go
on vacation. I ask my neighbor to look after things, and I
trust him beyond question. I could, however, still be ripped
off when I'm on vacation. That's not my fault. I locked up my
house and had someone keeping an eye on things. That
someone is not infallible, (my wife says I'm not either! :o ),
and things can happen beyone that person's control.

Even if we don't know the whole security story, the guy
who lost his guns isn't at fault here. Some low-life, sub-human,
egg-sucking bit of fetid, turgid garbage is.

-Stretch
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

TedH wrote:We need to go back to public hangings.......... :evil:
I agree, but shooting thieves on sight would work as well.

I remember a scene in H. Beam Piper's novel First Cycle.

On a crowded railroad platform a person was running at top speed pursued by another yelling 'Stop thief!" Another man shot the thief in the back with a lever-action rifle killing him. The pursuer recovered his stolen property and thanked the rifleman, who replied,"No thanks needed. Anyone who sees a thief and doesn't shoot him is just encouraging the breed."

You can't argue wih that logic.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Modoc ED wrote:[the gun owner has to share at least 50% of the blame in this situation for leaving the guns unattended and unlocked.
That is the same sort of reasoning the gungrabbers use to justify suing gunmakers for the misuse of guns by buyers.

Interesting take on the matter.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:[the gun owner has to share at least 50% of the blame in this situation for leaving the guns unattended and unlocked.
That is the same sort of reasoning the gungrabbers use to justify suing gunmakers for the misuse of guns by buyers.

Interesting take on the matter.
Let me tell ya something bud. You leave one of your guns laying unattended and unsecured on your kitchen table one day and go to work and come home and find it gone and the next day one of my family members is killed from a bullet/shell/etc. from that gun, I'm going to sue the heck out of ya. I'm going to take everything you've got or ever will have and I'm going to do my level best to have you incarcerated for the rest of your life.

Now, you and everyone on this forum should know I'm not a gun grabber - silly of you to have used that analogy and I mentioned nothing about suing gunmakers for the misuse of guns by buyers - another silly analogy.

But I did just say that I would sue the heck out of you for the improper storage of a firearm and the consequences resulting from it and bud, you'd better believe it.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BigSky56 wrote:Somebody steals my property they are 100% at fault it dont matter if its my dog, horse, cow or gun. The courts dont differentiate whether it's a gun or not the only consideration is the value,felony theft or petty theft. Besides when a dealer/seller rents a table at a show he also rents security for his table. danny
Dittos!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

When you pay for a table at a show, you are also paying the salary for SECURITY! The show promoter is more responsible than the gun owner for the theft, as the promoter hired the questionable security. At most of the shows I have had a display, admittedly small shows, the promoters have done their own cleaning just to make sure nothing like this happened.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Modoc ED wrote: Interesting take on the matter.
Let me tell ya something bud. You leave one of your guns laying unattended and unsecured on your kitchen table one day and go to work and come home and find it gone and the next day one of my family members is killed from a bullet/shell/etc. from that gun, I'm going to sue the heck out of ya. I'm going to take everything you've got or ever will have and I'm going to do my level best to have you incarcerated for the rest of your life.

Now, you and everyone on this forum should know I'm not a gun grabber - silly of you to have used that analogy and I mentioned nothing about suing gunmakers for the misuse of guns by buyers - another silly analogy.

But I did just say that I would sue the heck out of you for the improper storage of a firearm and the consequences resulting from it and bud, you'd better believe it.[/quote]

The hell with it Ed.

Apparently no none can talk sense to you so I'm going to quit trying.

You may not be a gungraber but you are sure as hell using their tactics.

Image Image
UNITE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Modoc ED wrote:He left them unattended. There may have been security in the hall but he left them unattended on his table if what the OP has posted is true. Evidently, they were not attached to the table or display area either. It would have been a simple thing to lock those guns in a container and chain/lock it to he display area. Evidently that wasn't done. Six relatively small handguns wouldn't have been enough of a burden for the owner to take the guns with him.

That's just my .02¢
I agree.

Cue the below video to 5:30...enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZS6wem7OQ

Scott