Tia and the fox and the rabbit!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Tia and the fox and the rabbit!

Post by Nath »

After being at work all week I was keen to be out in the cold to hunt a fox this Saturday morning. My dear current wife informed me that the carpet fitters had not been on the friday afternoon as arranged :roll: This meant I had to stay in Saturday morning and wait for them!
Great, just great!

So last night I grabbed a torch and the shotgun and went for a walk up the neighbors farm. I hardly needed the torch with all the snow etc. I called a fox in but it stayed something like 200yds away and as soon as the torch hit it it was gone, it had been educated somewhere!

I called in a different spot accompanied by 17 black angus cattle and called another fox in and it was coming in a treat but the sly old fox moved down wind and held off. A rifle would of taken him easy but he was to far for the shotgun. Oh, and the shotgun was loaded with no1s, 1 1/4oz following on from a recent post.

Never mind I thought, as I can't go out Saturday morning I can pop back up here for an hour with the 308 before the carpet fitters arrive, just in case,,,,

I was standing next to a large old beech tree watching the light come accompanied by the same black angus cattle as nine hours ago when after ten minutes had passed I noticed Tia fixed on something to my left, yep what turned out to be a vixen had stepped out at something like 70yds and not noticed me standing there! The cattle had obviously hidden me!

I got the rifle on her as she walked away and with not much time left stopped her and aimed just above her tail, a shot I dislike however it killed her instant all the same.

On the way back home I checked a dump, a small copse of trees that rubbish is burned in from some stables near by. It has a bulldosed earth clamp and I wanted to look over it to get a view of another field etc. That was when a rabbit with myxymatosis (think thats how it is spelt!) slowly made it's way into the copse. Due to the illness it was totally blind and using it's whiskers only carefully made it's way towards us. Tia was so funny to watch, the rabbit was slowly getting closer and closer, she turned her head away from it but never took her eyes of it. She was denying her desire to chase it but it was killing her :lol:
Eventually the rabbit at something like 10" from Tias head could sense her, the rabbits ears were bolt upright. The rabbit then stood up on it's back feet and reached forward towards Tias nose, well that was to much for any dog and Tia proceeded to nip the rabbit on its nose and start to chase but I stopped her.
It was so funny to see Tia all tied up over a desire to chase and holding her self off :lol:

I was laughing all the way back hmoe and I believe she was too judging by her tail,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Tia and the fox and the rabbit!

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post as usual Nath. Tia must make any hunting trip worthwhile. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thanks for posting I did not realise myxy was still around!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Nathan:

What type of call do you use?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent post indeed. thanks. Tia is real charmer.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Great post! Enjoyed the account and photo. You have an amazing dog.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Sounds like great fun! I've seen more fox on your posts, than I've seen here in the last 10yrs. I think its 'cause of the coyotes. Do you not have coyotes there?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Good times!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Tia is such a doll. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thank-you for the post.
It is not the critic who counts
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great dog, great post.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Hi Nath,
I love the English english language. I am a fan the English shows, Top Gear and Bad Girls on BBC America. The words they use as opposed to the words we use to describe something is great fun to figure out.
I read your post and got carpet fitters - carpet layers, torch -flashlight, copse-stand or clump, rubbish-trash.
I had trouble with earth clamp, but that must be earth bank.
Keep up the posts, they are great!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thank you for the translations Gun Smith :D

No coyote over here ceb, I could have some fun with them and large cats :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Nath...I love "the dear current wife..." Reminds me of an old coworker....I answered the phone in the shop one evening and the lady on the other end left him a message. I asked her name and she replied "His first ex-wife"....love the stories and pictures everytime you post...my son had to shoot a 'yote the other day...it was running with a couple buddies behind a small whitetail doe...head shot it with his grandpaws Remington 725 in .280 Remington.....hope the carpet got installed...stay warm...it was 13* here this morning....gotta a big ole pot of ham and beans simmering on the stove...

jumbeaux
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey Nath! I love it! :D
I know you've probably answered this question before, but what breed is Tia? Is she a Brittany Spaniel? She's fantastic!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Bogie35 wrote:
I know you've probably answered this question before, but what breed is Tia? Is she a Brittany Spaniel? She's fantastic!

bogie

I want to jump in before Nath and take a guess then see if I'm right. I can't tell her size; but I'd guess she's either a real springer spaniel or a real cocker spaniel. This is the way the breeds look if the dog show people never get to mess with the breeding. Compact, intelligent, and athletic, bred to do a job and not just look pretty.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There isn't any dog better than a hunting breed with good training.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

soon 2 retire wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:

bogie

I want to jump in before Nath and take a guess then see if I'm right. I can't tell her size; but I'd guess she's either a real springer spaniel or a real cocker spaniel. This is the way the breeds look if the dog show people never get to mess with the breeding. Compact, intelligent, and athletic, bred to do a job and not just look pretty.

Bob in NE Indiana

:lol: She is a Sprocker! Springer x cocker. Around 18" at the shoulder and 35lb ish. Not big at all but can drag a fox! (As long as it has holes in it!).
jumbeaux wrote:Nath...I love "the dear current wife..." Reminds me of an old coworker....I answered the phone in the shop one evening and the lady on the other end left him a message. I asked her name and she replied "His first ex-wife"....love the stories and pictures everytime you post...my son had to shoot a 'yote the other day...it was running with a couple buddies behind a small whitetail doe...head shot it with his grandpaws Remington 725 in .280 Remington.....hope the carpet got installed...stay warm...it was 13* here this morning....gotta a big ole pot of ham and beans simmering on the stove...

jumbeaux
Thats good shooting and well done! Yep the carpet is down :roll: Nothing wrong with the last one, I could walk on it no different than this new one :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Thanks Nath. And excellent call Bob! :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Sprocker,....I like it!!! Another nice one Nath,... thanks.