scoped handguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

scoped handguns

Post by mescalero1 »

Did not want to take away from Yk's thread.
I shoot a Dan Wesson in .22 Mag with a long eye relief handgun scope.
It is VERY accurate.
It ALWAYS frightens the unitiated,
you would not believe the questions I have had to answer after its appearence!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: scoped handguns

Post by awp101 »

They don't bother me, depending on the handgun.

I had a TC 4x scope on a .22 bbl I had, my Buckmark Target wore a 2x until I pulled it to use as a scout scope on the .357 Marlin and I currently have a Savage 501F that wears a 3x9 Bushnell (IIRC). Occasionally I'll put a red-dot on the Buckmark Target for funsies...

I don't recall having a scoped revolver or centerfire semi-auto though.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't always like the way they look on handguns but I don't have a problem with them in general. The ones that tend to look the best, IMO, are the full lug revolvers like the Ruger GP-100, the Taurus Raging Bulls and the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunters.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

DanWesson, 8" barrel, scope on top,
for some? reason it inspires fear and loathing,
for me and the gun, it is beyond my capacity to understand.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got 2.5x on my Ruger MKIII with the quick disconnects for the range or just plinking out in the fields at occasional targets of opportunity.

This is my Redhawk w/ a 4x used for deer, hog, turkey, and the occasional coyote. A little too heavy for the quick shots... but when I have a few seconds for a nice steady hold, it definitely gets the job done.

A lot easier/lighter to carry around when you know your shots will be 75yds or less.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't disagree that they can look out of place, but they certainly serve a purpose. Guns are meant to be used, and if a scope on a handgun or, perish the thought, on a leveraction, helps one continue using the gun, MORE POWER TO THEM! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I agree 100% that if you can enjoy and shoot better with a scope then go ahead and use it. I have shot a scoped Contender years ago with a 2X Burris with a .22 and a .35 Rem barrel they both shot great. BUT I sure don't have one on my sixguns. At 71 I can still use open sights and hit what I aim at, I feel the Lord has blessed me so I can still enjoy my guns.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have only ever scoped a sixgun when I was doing load development. I do however have five scoped Contender barrels for IHMSA. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

To my somewhat-old-fashioned mind, scoping a handgun detracts from its main purpose and design. A handgun should First: always be there; Second: be unobtrusive; Third: be instantly useable in tight quarters. There are othe criteria, to be sure, but scoping a revolver (or semi-auto) takes it out of the parameters I've described.

Any other niche could likely be filled as well -- or better -- with a short rifle.

You guys do whatever aberrant things you want to with yours. Mine will stay 'slick...'
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rides in the truck,
I have an aversion to skunks & raccoons.
Behaves like a short rifle.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

not a big fan of them. the redhawk .44m scoped makes sense if your gonna hunt with a handgun beyond 50 yards for big game.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I stare at a computer all day at work, and my eyes are not what they used to be. A scope on a handgun is starting to make sense for the large calibers. I recently purchased a .44 SBH with a scope on it from CRS. It is what I plan on using on the hog hunt in February. I'll take the .480 pistol and rifle along just in case the opportunity for more fun comes up. With that scoped SBH, I feel it will do what I need perfectly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost