OT - Ouch, that left a mark!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Ouch, that left a mark!

Post by Rexster »

Someday, I am going to die on US-59. This is getting old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Ouch, that left a mark!

Post by kimwcook »

Give us some details, man.
Old Law Dawg
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Hey, this new camera phone's pics will translate right onto this site, without wizardry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rexster on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I was setting out flares, so I was not inside the car. I had parked in the left of several lanes, well behind two accident scenes, on the crest of the preceding overpass, so my strobes would be visible for miles. Two flares were on the pavement, and I had two more, lit, in my hands. It was a clear night. Here comes an SUV, in the left lane. I run for the left shoulder, ready to bail over the wall into the HOV lane if necessary. Finally, the SUV driver decides to act, and lays 125 feet of skid marks, on a straight path, right into the taxpayer's patrol car.

It was sickening, watching this this fine citizen whoosh right past me, on a beeline for my patrol car/office. Yes, it is an office, with a computer, and a Verizon aircard that sends encrypted reports, charges, and such, and receives, too, of course.

I had been guarding a prisoner at a hospital shortly before this, so I was traveling light, with no long guns in the car, nor my personal and city-issued laptops. My Swarovski binocs and two pistols were in a bag on the LEFT side, fortunately; Ms. Bozo steered her RAV4 into the right rear of my trunk.

Give me a shoot-out any day. Or, a riot. One riot, one Rexster. Dancing with cars is SCARY!
Last edited by Rexster on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The other vehicle, a Toyota RAV4:
Have Colts, will travel.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That was close! :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Had a Christmas Angel on yer shoulder, ya did :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Ysabel Kid wrote:That was close! :shock:
Yes, indeed. If I had been hit while still seated, I would still be quite sore. (Been there, done that, a few hundred feet away, a few years ago.) Had I been hit while halfway in or out of the car, or had she swerved into me, to avoid the car, y'all would be seeing my name on that memorial in DC.
Have Colts, will travel.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

We've lost too many this year, as always... :(
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I think you should buy a lottery ticket this week, lady luck is with you :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Praise God that you were where you were, instead of by your unit.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Glad you kept your wits about you pard...always stay on yellow. Bet you were on orange in that sit. Be careful out there! :wink:

LB
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

glad you are ok. be safe out there. Prayers for you and all the other LEO's out there.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That was too close, you know folk go on and on about nasty guns and yet most just don't see how nasty their very own car can/could be :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

We've lost a few officers on Hwy 401 west of Toronto in the past few years. Anyone who plows into a cruiser parked on the side of the road with flashers on, must be brain dead or blind. Kinda makes a person wonder what people are doing in their cars while driving at high speed. Glad you were not hurt.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Rexter: This incident especially at Christmas time makes me realize how much you guys have become kind of an extended family. Knowing that someone you converse with via a forum barely escaped great bodily injury or death is disconcerting to say the least. Stay safe.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rexter,
Glad you are OK. Cars are far easier to replace than people.

Was the other driver jack jawing on her cell phone by any chance?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Glad to hear you were just a witness and not a vic. I've got about 10 more years to go before I'm going to pull the pin and I don't know if I can make it. I'm getting so tired of dealing with the public I could just spit. Hopefully the driver wasn't hurt and you educated her with a couple of cites. Driving HUA (head up a**) would be first. Keep your antennas up brother and watch your six.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Kinda makes a person wonder what people are doing in their cars while driving at high speed.]

That's a "no brainer" - she was prolly on a cell phone while doing her nails, paying absolutely zero attention to traffic. :shock: :roll:

I had one of those on an Interstate Hwy, two Labor Days ago - who changed lanes almost into me, then jerked the wheel to correct her mistake ( @ 65mph).
After two or three side-to-side swings, her rear wheels touched the curbing and rolled her FourRunner three times. :o
She (the driver) still had her earphones on, when she emerged from that puppy.

I'm glad you didn't get nailed, Rexter - but hope you hung her out to dry. :x

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Rexster wrote: One riot, one Rexster.
that's funny right there.

keep dancin' don't slow down.

"for all the world like an urban toreador"
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Glad to here it came out without injury to you Rexter. Man what a sucky time this is to get hospitalized. Is the driver suspected of DUI or is that question out of bounds?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well Rexster at least your's is still driveable....at least out of harm's way, anyway. Surprised that she isn't scream'n entrapment.
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

A friend of mine who voluteers for a local "Box" rescue company, in Ohio, said there was a national study concerning stationary public safety vehicals and the driving public.

In a nut shell it didn't matter the overall color (remember when fire departments went from red to yellow?), light configurations or passive or active mesures to prevent a collision it's all in vein. For it's up to the igit behind the wheel of the car to pay attention!! And they don't and thus equipment gets damage or destroyed and public safety personnel pay in injury or with their lives.

I'm one that belives that there should be larger penalties, when it can be proven that circumstances show, neglagance on the drivers part, that results in the damage or destruction of properly lit public saftey vehicals / and or the injury or deaths of any individals at a accident scene. Not the down right stupid, $50 ticket that results in lots of cases including deaths of public safety workers/ and or accident survivors a scene.

I'm off my soap box now.

I'm glad you weren't hurt in that one Rexter.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wish you the best for the holidays from here out.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

What a dufus...
We now have the move over law in Florida....
on the main highways....if you dont move into the
left lane and slow down, you will get a ticket....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Rexester
Glad to hear you were not in the car and that you can still pretty fast if you have too.
As to the car it is only metal and rubber and plastic they make them everyday, no as to a friend even on the internet they just don't make that many and a LEO who is also a great guy even less of them.
Happy Holidays and watch your six and be careful we want to know you reached retirement and can enjoy fun things.
Have to ask, did the Rav4 driver not see your lights? or was the cell phone being used so the driver was occupied with other things besides driving? To have skidded that far the Rav4 must have been motoring along.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Bet you didn’t need any coffee after that.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Rexster.....being a country boy the times we travel to or through Houston we just try our best to stay outta the way...you my brother are very lucky and God was sure looking out for ya.....were ya north of I-10 ???? Be safe and thank you for serving.....

jumbeaux
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Glad you are OK. We have lost too many this year. Losing any is too many.

In our motorcycle training courses, it is taught that you do NOT look at danger, you look where you want to go, otherwise you will steer right into the danger. Happened to me one day, in my early days of cycle riding, I came around a curve and focused on a rock in the middle of my lane. Ran right over it and bent my front rim.

If she was focused on your car, instead of where she should be going, she drove right where her eyeballs told her to go. If you know about this phenomenom (sp?) then you can avoid this trap.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)