Cuting down a Marlin 39a barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Cuting down a Marlin 39a barrel

Post by foxtrapper »

Is it possible to cut down the barrel to make a .22 guide gun? I know you would have to modify the mag tube so I guess that would add to the difficulty. Do you know anyone that does the work? Thanks
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cuting down a Marlin 39a barrel

Post by salvo »

Pretty simple and straight forward, any decent smith should be able to do it for you.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

The cutting and altering would be easy for a competent gun smith. If this is a pre-crossbolt/rebounding hammer 39a, then I'm begging you not to do it. If it is a later model with these "improvements" then do what you like with it. I believe what you want is a 39m or Mountie model which is the straight stocked, carbine version of a 39a. Around here older 39a and 39m models seem to bring a premium on the used market, so I would hate to see you alter your rifle, decrease its value and pay someone to do it! If what you really want is a pistol gripped, shortened 39a and aren't concerned about these things, then more power to you. I've got a 70's vintage 39a that is my go-to squirrel rifle. The only way life could be any sweeter would be getting a 39m to go with it!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A "Guide Gun" was originally a short/ported bigbore, and IMO an unported shortie is aka a "Trapper". :P

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

+1

Also, before you cut up any of your rifles, you need to handle a trapper / guide gun because all of the ones I've handled had terrible balance at the shoulder and were hard to carry because they were significantly stock heavy.

Rather than balancing comfortably in your hand as you walked, you had to grab the receiver and hang on to it tightly. The one I tried felt like it was always falling out of my hand. In my opinion a poor choice for a walking around gun.

You might like the look but if you plan to carry it or shoot with it you may want to reconsider you choice.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

If you insist... order a spare barrel and cut that down... retain the original parts if and modify some second hand parts to do the project.

cutting up a earlier (pre safety) 39 would be a mistake. If things dont work out you can always restore the rifle to it's previous value
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There is someone here that's had it done. Turned out pretty slick. Been looking for a deal on a newer one
to make a little trapper of my own.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Naw it a rebounding hammer with cross bolt safety. Really nice piece of wood on it! I don't have a gunsmith near me so I send things out. If anybody could recommend a smith with contact info I'd appreciate it :D So off it will go to become a mini guide err trapper :wink:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

DO NOT FORGET THAT MARLIN MADE A 39 22LR EXACTLY LIKE YOU ARE DESIRING. IT HAD A STUBBY LITTLE 16" [ + - ] BARREL AND CAME WITH A CARRYING CASE. I'LL BE DOUBLE-D DANGED IF I CAN THINK OF THE MODEL NUMBER FOR IT OFF HAND...RIGHT NOW...phoooeee..
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It was the Model 39TDS

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Aw, what the H%**... Chop the dang thing up. It's YOURS, and it's a Marlin 39 -- which they made by the boat-load anyway.

Now we know it's NOT a pre-everyhing-wrong-with-it gun, there's nothing to hold you back but fear and better judgement -- neither of which deters dedicated levergun men at all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Buck Elliott wrote:Aw, what the H%**... Chop the dang thing up. It's YOURS, and it's a Marlin 39 -- which they made by the boat-load anyway.

Now we know it's NOT a pre-everyhing-wrong-with-it gun, there's nothing to hold you back but fear and better judgement -- neither of which deters dedicated levergun men at all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THAT IS RIGHT, YOU LISTEN TO BUCK, THE ELLIOT KID. WE'RE ALL--ALL MIND YOU !!!--UNDAUNTED BY COMMON SENSE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Try a Henry youth model. It comes with a short barrel. If you need a longer reach have another stock made. If you like it ans still want a short mod 39 then do it. Hard to put that barrel back on if you don't.

I do like the way my Henry youth mod handles.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Love my little mountie, but have thought it would be fun to have an even shorter version. Also would love to have a little straight stocked, 16in 30-30. Have seen a couple over the years, but have never been able to get my hands on one. May have to end up settling for a Winny (if I want a straight stock) but would sure like to have a marlin.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rhead wrote:Try a Henry youth model. It comes with a short barrel. If you need a longer reach have another stock made. If you like it ans still want a short mod 39 then do it. Hard to put that barrel back on if you don't.

Easier way is just to buy the stock for the H001 from Henry for $50.00. It's 1" longer than the youth model's.

BTW, if someone were to need one, I just happen to have an H001 length stock is excellent condition. Email me if you're interested.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Several of us here, own the ultimate 22 Lever Marlin. The Model 97. Mine was made in 1905.
They are out there, ya just have to look.

I was at the range yesterday and finally found what it likes to digest, CCI SV's 1050 fps. It will also shoot Federal 714 SV's.

Please do not cut the barrel on your 39A. Buy a Henry and shoot the stuff out of the piece. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

COSteve wrote:
rhead wrote:Try a Henry youth model. It comes with a short barrel. If you need a longer reach have another stock made. If you like it ans still want a short mod 39 then do it. Hard to put that barrel back on if you don't.

Easier way is just to buy the stock for the H001 from Henry for $50.00. It's 1" longer than the youth model's.

BTW, if someone were to need one, I just happen to have an H001 length stock is excellent condition. Email me if you're interested.

+1+1 - the Henry makes a great little levergun. I can shoot my son's youth model without a problem.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Its easy for a gunsmith to do and the result is pleasing to the eye, and in the hand it feels like a completely different rifle.
I had it shorted 6 inches which now makes it a 12 shot repeater instead of 19 shots.
You do notice the shorter sight radius the first time you use it with open sights as you tend to spray groups a lot wider till you learn to shoot straight with it and it is a lot louder.
Having shortened it you will again need to find what ammo it likes as that may change, like mine did. Most people who see mine seem to like it and I have a standing order for first option if I choose to sell it, I won't :lol:

Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Don't do it-You'll be sorry.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
COSteve wrote:

+1+1 - the Henry makes a great little levergun. I can shoot my son's youth model without a problem.

Mine fits me also but if I was 50# heavier or 6 inches taller I might have to worry about where everything was supposed to go.
For many situations I like a shortie model and am willing to sacrifice the sight radius and stability for weight and handling. A great deal of my hunting is more of a case of walking in the woods, "armed".
I can clean 3 squirrels in half the time you can clean 6 and still have plenty for a meal.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I have to tell you guys that I have a new Marlin factory barrel marked 39 TDS with mag tube and follower.

Just looking for the right 39 to put it on.

A friend offered me his 39M made in early 60's but I refused him as I did not want to mess with a classic.

I have a 39M and love it, but still want to screw that new 16" barrel into something one day soon.

Pop.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:A "Guide Gun" was originally a short/ported bigbore, and IMO an unported shortie is aka a "Trapper". :P

It should be easy to cut ports in it if needed... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Lou can do it, he removed the barrel of the .35 Rem Marlin 336 threaded it and cut the Mag tube to allow the suppressor for me. It is not cheap but he is one of the best. He retired from the Ft Benning Army Marksmanship Unit as their armorer.
http://www.bhiarms.com/
It is not the critic who counts
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Paladin I just shot Lou an email. Thank you :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

John - Bobby Pitchford at Pitchford Custom Gunworks will do it. He's at (903) 372-9017
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member