O.T. Son headed for Africa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
furrow
Levergunner

O.T. Son headed for Africa

Post by furrow »

I visit this site daily and consider it ...Cyber home. Yet rarely posting I am virtually unknown.

However my son is headed for Sudan in less than a month (Church related)
and has asked me to research what he can take with him. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. I know a lot of you have been there done that. Being of fair complexion, sunscreen is first on his list.

Thanks Chris
Hobie

Re: O.T. Son headed for Africa

Post by Hobie »

There should be a lot of experience here, military and religious!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Be sure to talk to Mike, AKA rjohns94 here. He's spent time in Ethiopia around this time of year.

...and keep posting!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am so glad you posted us on your son's future trip. I have been blessed to have made three trips to Ethiopia in the past two years, and my son is making his second trip there in 3 weeks.

Things I would not go without:

Hat
Shirts made for fishing - long sleeve but very breathable. Mine are made from cool max material. they have pockets, keep the sun off of you and keep you cool.
sunscreen
lip balm
sunglasses
meds as needed(ciprio)
hand sanitizer
comfortable back pack with large water bladder or water carrier
shorts, sandles
camera
journal
hiking, light weight boots. I leave mine in country when I leave.
Leatherman
copy of your passport at home and with your person. (as well as your passport)
I like to carry a couple of deflated soccer balls and a pump or two each day in the field.
gum
extra tooth brush in case you forget about the water
small kit with clippers, tweezers, cue tips, bandaids, etc.
medical insurance rider.

The Sudan is crazy Hot. Its also a political boiling pot. obviously, nothing that looks military, or looks like a weapon.

off the top of my head, thats my list. let me know if you have any specific questions, will be glad to share what I can.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

God bless your son and keep him safe!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Mike (rjohns94) has a very good list. I'll add a few things.........

I was in Somalia from Aug 1993-Mar 1994..... and Rwanda May 1994-September 1994. North of the equator is very nice in December, January, and February. About 80-105* in the daytime and it drops to about 60-80* at night. A little windy at times. Interior Africa is HUMID and HOT!! 85-100% humidity daily, temps from 90-115* daytime and 70-90* at night. Takes about a week to get used to the interior climate, less on the coast.

Sunglasses, sunscreen, wide brim hat, and chapstick are life savers, as the sun is absolutely unforgiving even with nice temps.

Stay hydrated all day and night. At least 1 gallon of water per 24 hrs, more if exerting yourself. Use bottled water if at all possible unless you want to use boiling methods and tablets.

Eat at least 3x a day, even if not hungry (4small meals are better). You'll need the salt.

Make sure you take your Malaria meds with you and TAKE them religiously.

Get yourself a mosquito net for your cot or bed, makes sleeping much better IMHO. The bugs will carry you away at night if there is little or no breeze.

Keep your shot records and passport/ID together in a ziplock bag on your person at all times.

Anything you want to keep....watch it closely or lash it to your body somehow. Trust me on this one .......especially wallets, cameras, and sunglasses.

Take plenty of pictures, as it is a wonderous place....even if you are there for bad reasons. :wink:

Other than that I wish him a safe trip and return. :mrgreen: :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:God bless your son and keep him safe!
Amen!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I will keep in my prayers.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

C. Cash wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:God bless your son and keep him safe!
Amen!
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
furrow
Levergunner

More info

Post by furrow »

Gentlemen thanks so much for the info....I especially covet your prayers! I wonder how much and what types of the liquid items the airlines will allow? No one in there group has any experience, they are accompanying Abraham Piok one of the "lost boys" on his return to his village. Just this last August, raiders killed 43 people in Abraham's village and 75 in neighboring villages. Included in the dead were two pastors who were tortured for almost a week in front of the village. There hope is that a western presence will bring attention from local government. So you can see where my concern level is.

Chris willive@hotmail.com
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Given where he's going and the atmosphere there, he'd be well advised to get his affairs in order -- Will, financials, etc..

The best advice I saw above was not to wear or carry anthing that could be associated with the Military in any way what-so-ever -- hat, clothing, boots, etc..

Good luck to your boy. Tell him to keep his head on a swivel and pay attention to his surroundings at all times.
ED
Yer never too old
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I would think a katadyne water filter might be good to have. They will purify water better than any chemicals. they are what the Peace Corps and U.N. disaster teams use. Make sure you get the right model.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Rusty wrote:I would think a katadyne water filter might be good to have. They will purify water better than any chemicals. they are what the Peace Corps and U.N. disaster teams use. Make sure you get the right model.
And plenty of refills.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

bottled water is available in most towns. I had no use for a filter system there but it might be a good idea. As far as what is allowable on airlines, each airline has guidance on their web site. best to look them up on the airlines he is traveling on.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

toilet paper .... lots of it .... acres of it ... miles of it.

Cheers,

Carl
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Rusty wrote:I would think a katadyne water filter might be good to have. They will purify water better than any chemicals. they are what the Peace Corps and U.N. disaster teams use. Make sure you get the right model.
Great choice one with the Iodine attachment.
Add to the list : A Spot transponder to keep you informed where he is and if he needs help, as he can’t carry a blue force tracker. (http://www.findmespot.com/en/)
A good pocket knife.
A few tubes of Antibiotic Ointment for any break in the skin, however minor.
Have him read the State Department travel warning before he leaves.
Good luck.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i think a pocket knife is not allowed. I have found the leatherman to work better. Cars are often stopped on major roads and govt troops with their ak's search the vehicle and some times the persons. You don't want to make them upset with a knife. They are banned in Sudan.
Mike Johnson,