OT - Amazing Video of an SR-71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Amazing Video of an SR-71

Post by COSteve »

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT - Amazing Video of an SR-71

Post by gamekeeper »

Amazing. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

That took some work..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow that is great. They used for fly out of Palmdale which is about 5 miles from here. There are two of them down there now on static display. Very impressive to see it fly for real.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Those things are just amazing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Has a beautiful silhouette
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yes they are. I remember in the 70s going to Edward AFB for some meetings where the bus they transported us in had blackout curtains on one side so we couldn't see in the hanger they had one in.

Years later I stopped by the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA, and they had one on static display that you could walk up to and touch. Times do change.

That place also has a B36 among their displayed AC. Its well worth going to visit. It's right outside the old entrance to Castle AFB which closed in the mid '90s.
Steve
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Amazing.

Wishthey had gotten Bin Laden with that one yesterday.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Really enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting, Steve.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Man, that was truly awesome. Did you notice how the turbine engines spooled up like the big ones, and how it sounded while making the low level passes?
The pilot controlling her was really good since any mistakes would probably cost him $10-15k.

Thanks for sharing
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks like the only thing missing is the sonic boom.

They landed the real McCoy here at McDill about 20 years ago when it developed engine trouble over Turkey and this was the closest place to land. It was here a few days having repairs made but the whole base knew when it was leaving and turned out to see it. Someone that was there at the time told me that after it took off the first thing it had to do was hook up with a KC-135 before it could go on it's way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I remember the rescue instructions in the AF Manual that had that info for all our, and a few other countries aircraft. A simple line drawing of only one small part of the fuselage. It had a door marked rescue. Simply run up, open the door, and pull the handle. That's all we were allowed to know way back then.

I only saw one flying. It did a low approach at the base I was stationed at. It wasn't there, then it was, then it wasn't. If you blinked you would have darned near missed it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That is very cool.

A member of our local club has been building a SR-71 for several years. I believe his is somewhat bigger than this one, at 13 feet long. He's kept a very good web page with lots of photos of his progress. I can't even imagine the hours he has invested in this thing as it's all been handmade. Check out the progress from start to where he's currently at. It's very impressive.

http://www.mmrca.org/lance/sledframe.html
NRA Life Member
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Super cool! Thanks for posting Steve!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

That was great! I worked as a security guard for lockheed 1965 to 2000. I guarded the SR-71 countless hours, saw it fly about every time, knew the pilots and watching that was as close as you could get to the real deal! I have great respect for that builder-flyier.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That was so cool! 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

pegged the kewl meter on that one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

A guy at a heavy equipment shop that I rent from claims to have been a fueler for SR-71s. So far he hasn't tripped my BS Detector, but he says the top speed for an SR-71 was close to 15,000 mph. The log books had to be doctored to keep it in the 2500 mph range.

They've been retired for a while, so that can only mean that they've been rendered obsolete by something faster. The Aurora, I assume.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

wavetrain75 wrote:A guy at a heavy equipment shop that I rent from claims to have been a fueler for SR-71s. So far he hasn't tripped my BS Detector, but he says the top speed for an SR-71 was close to 15,000 mph. The log books had to be doctored to keep it in the 2500 mph range.

They've been retired for a while, so that can only mean that they've been rendered obsolete by something faster. The Aurora, I assume.
I'll trip the BS meter with his claim of 15,000mph. That's on the order of Mac 20 and there's no way that the SR-71 could go anywhere near that fast. It's declassified top speed is Mach 3.2+. On 28 July 1976, an SR-71 broke the world record for its class: an 'absolute speed record' of 2,193.17 mph and an 'absolute altitude record' of 85,069 feet.

BTW, I worked for Lockheed / Martin / Lockheed Martin for most of over 41 years. My 1st job in 1966 was designing the C-5 military transport being built in Marietta, GA. While most of my career was spent on things that left the atmosphere, I'm quite familiar with the Blackbird's performance capabilities.
Steve
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now, I had a patient who was a real straight arrow and worked with the cameras loading and unloading them. He said it was MUCH faster than they would admit and told me a remarkable time for to there and back. I'll have to figure out the speed.

OK now what he told me would be close to 5,000 mph.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I agree it was faster than admitted, however I would eat that plane if it was anything like that. Without googeling the claimed record, I was there the day it took off for its thought last flight at the time, (It came out of retirement for a bit, later), they flew it to wright-patterson doing a speed run on the last flight, coast to coast, and if memory serves, it was quite a bit less than two hours. I did hear some fantastic storys and claims while I worked there, but then again since I wasnt along, who can say for sure?
spencer516
Levergunner 1.0

Post by spencer516 »

I had a toy blue one in the late sixties. It wasn't near as cool as that one though!!
Thanks,
Tom
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bill you are probably right - the govt told the truth and ---- I am sure Becker would agree. Well the guy I knew is dead and I am sure you have heard many stories among the insiders there that never made it to the outside.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While I listed the speed of the record it held, I know that it's capable of going faster, but as the drag increases at the square of the speed, 5,000mph in the heavy atmosphere below 100,000ft is reallllllllly hard to do. In addition, the skin temps generated at that speed would melt the titanium structure.
Steve
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Okay, here is a story. I once heard a pilot radio in that he had a "flameout" and was over salt lake city and was going to land at palmdale in 14 minuets! Now that is 540 miles. That is over 2,314 MPH, NOT allowing the time to slow up for landing speed! He had it figured just about right and came sailing in right on his ETA!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I really miss seeing them fly… They were pretty common at Beale in northern CA. Now I see they went back to flying U2’s out of there.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

bogus bill wrote:Okay, here is a story. I once heard a pilot radio in that he had a "flameout" and was over salt lake city and was going to land at palmdale in 14 minuets! Now that is 540 miles. That is over 2,314 MPH, NOT allowing the time to slow up for landing speed! He had it figured just about right and came sailing in right on his ETA!

That's one way to increase your fuel economy! 540 miles of coasting, unbelievable. :lol:
NRA Life Member
hkfrost
Levergunner

Post by hkfrost »

I like at the landing, someone says, "...yah, voondabah'. Priceless :mrgreen:
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

That flame out was probley on just one engine. I also knew tony levier. I understand he had a flame out on a F-104 and landed it okay. They only have the one engine!
The U-2s, are old, the modern ones are known as TR-2s. They are comparatively slow but fly high and can stay up longer than a pilot wants to sit. It is a glider with a jet engine. Once gary powers came down in one and was waiting at my gate for his wife to pick him up. (This was in the 60s right after he got out of prison in russia). I had a full dress harley parked by my gate. He eyeballed that for awhile then politly asked me if he could sit on it. I said ok, and kidingly told him I would give him the harley for a ride in the U-2. He said I wouldnt like it. He said it was like flying with your head in a goldfish bowl all day! Poor guy got killed flying a chopper for a news station later.