New 4" Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

New 4" Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt

Post by 1886 »

I grabbed a LNIB 4" Redhawk .45 Colt. The dang throats are under sized! I know this is a mystery to Ruger with the Blackhawk but I thought they figured it out with the Redhawk. No biggie, the price was too good to pass so off to Jack Huntington for a little throat reaming. I may look into grabbing Clymer's unit. 1886.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: New 4" Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt

Post by Leverluver »

Google cylindersmith. SOP for Ruger 45s. $40 gets them all reamed to the correct dimension.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 4" Redhawk is on my list of guns to buy. I kind of figured the throats would be undersized. Ruger just cannot get them right.
If you ever find a Ruger .45 Colt cylinder that has the proper throats, it's either a factory mistake or someone got there before you and reamed them out.

Other than that I love 'em.

Cylindersmith: http://www.cylindersmith.com/

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Congrats on the new Ruger! If you plan to buy more .45 Colt revolvers then you may want to check Brownell's for their reamer and bushing set. I bought mine a couple years ago. I did 2 of my revolvers and it therefore paid for itself! And yes, the accuracy was better in both. If I do another I am money ahead! Just sumpin to think about.
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

dennie wrote:Congrats on the new Ruger! If you plan to buy more .45 Colt revolvers then you may want to check Brownell's for their reamer and bushing set. I bought mine a couple years ago. I did 2 of my revolvers and it therefore paid for itself! And yes, the accuracy was better in both. If I do another I am money ahead! Just sumpin to think about.

I hear ya, Bro that is why I mentioned Clymer's unit! 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They got the New Vaquero right, why couldn't they get the Redhawk right? :roll:

I have a 4" .44 Mag Redhawk. I've never shot it. Can't get excited enough about it to get it out. Don't know why I bought it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Do not know, Hobie. The .45 Colt seems to confuse the folks at Ruger. Many a smith has done well opening up Ruger throats to .4525". Go figure. 1886.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My .44 redhawk has small throats for my .432 bullets. Kinda nuts to swage the bullet down before it hits the rifling. It's on the list of things to send off.

Grizz
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I bought the reamer and work payed for it. We would get an IOU from the parts department for our inventory if it was correct. They are four times a year, just turn in the receipt for a tool and they reimburse you. Saved a years worth, gave them the receipt.

I have done several cylinders over the last 4 years.

Don
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have the 4" Redhawk on my "Must Buy" list - so this is very good to know!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

86er wrote:I have the 4" Redhawk on my "Must Buy" list - so this is very good to know!

You will love it, Joe. A $40-$50 for a little throat reaming is a small price to pay for a very durable and serviceable hip cannon. Hope to talk to you soon. 1886.