OT- Old Photo of bucking bronc!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Old Photo of bucking bronc!

Post by rangerider7 »

I remember my old bronc busting friend that passed away recently, I talked about him in a post, saying " watch out he's getting ready to change ends on ya!" What were the other sayings for this action by an old mean bronc?

"That'll Be The Day"
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Old Photo of bucking bronc!

Post by WCF3030 »

I like your photo better.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RR, Have you red Elmer Keith's book HELL I WAS THERE ?

He talks quite a bit about breaking broncs and such things.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That horse just didn't want to be rode. What a great picture!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a great photo. That horse is really putting some effort into it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There are some things that just scare the hell out of me. Phobias you might say. One of them is swimming in water I can't see the bottom of, and the other would be even the thought of getting on the back of that horse.

I don't think there's enough Colt SAA revolvers in the world to get me to do that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That's a rodeo picture from an early Cheyenne Frontier Days. Probably from when it was held in September by the looks of the clothes the folks have on.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

That kind of life passed me by and I dont have much knowledge of it. However in those old timey pictures I notice that the horse`s and men all looked smaller and tougher than now!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

CROW HOP - back arched with all 4 feet in the air

SUNFISH- a horse that bucks and all four feet stick out to the side instead of underneath or behind the animal.

PULLIN LEATHER- when you double grab. Came about in later years. If I understand correctly, when rodeo first started you did not have to have a free hand that could not touch the horse, tack, or yourself.
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

The heading says "Tim Crockett ON South Dakota" I would have to say Tim is getting ready to be launched OFF South Dakota!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Looks like that bronc got some serious vertical lift !! Notice that from the position of the reins and the bandana, this pair appears to be on their way back down to earth. Probably was not a soft landing. Great photo.....thanks.
NRA life member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That horse got some serious air. I'd like to see the next couple of hops. Been on some that felt like they went that high, but I'm sure they didn't even come close.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow - he was earning his keep! :shock:
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I think he has made his ride, he's not even looking at his horse anymore.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Early roughstock riders used to win based on who could flat stay on the longest... but that rode the buck out of the horse sometimes. If you were the guy who owned a "man killer" you did not want that...a good bucking horse that won often was a money maker ... stock contractors still look for hard to ride stock and a horse that's "easy" to ride wont stay around long... an easy horse makes for low scores.

So rodeo producers started with the timed 10 second ride... and that evolved into todays 8 second rule.

He looks like he's keepin his head in the middle... and if you ever rode a train wreck like that--- you dont get to pick which way your facin your head :lol:

Funny thing about broncs... the same horse that will auger you head into the ground for giggles may carry your little kids on Sunday afternoon bareback (in a halter with poppa leading the horse) those horses know when it's "game on" and like to do their job.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm waaay to old for that sorta' thing!

I don't think I was ever young enough either.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is what old time bucking horses did. I can remember seeing broncs that seemed to just stay up in the air. I don't reckon you will see the rodeo horses of today buck like that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Jerry... i still go to a few rodeos every year. The stock contractors are genetically breeding bucking stock... and a there are good broncs that can catch air like that old time horse.

About one in 300 horses will buck all the time if you flank em. You just cannot get those horses to NOT buck and they just wont make saddle horses. If you want a horse for bucking.. get him to buck... when he's done feed him a little grain as a treat and turn him out for a few days.

A few horses will just figure out they can buck and get out of work...

An most horses can be convinced that bucking will make a lot of work for them ( like loping circles or being asked to back up and yeild the hip) so they figure out its easier to do the right thing than show their butts.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun