22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Post by madman4570 »

Thompson Center R55 Sporter,and Ruger 6.5" SS Single Six
Floats my Boat!! They work well for me :)
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

my 10/22 compact talo special edition, single six 5 1/2", and my 49$ romanian 22lr training rifle 23" 5 shot bolt action i bought 6 years ago, with a 4x tasco scope it shot 7/8th" inch at 100 yards with remington golden solids 8 shots. at 50yards it shoots one ragged hole no kiddin. the only thing is u have to shoot about 20+ rounds before it gets real accurate.?
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

Well I was real partial to my Daisy Red Rider pump until I fell into beaucoup bucks and ordered a gold plated Yehudi Schmerdlapp single shot,lever action 39 inch decahedron( well sometimes) barreled beauty made by an old blind gunsmith in Red Dirt,Alabama.Takes him 10 years to build one,and I have the 4th one (well he is blind after all).Shoots only special made ammo made by a one-legged Eskimo,Jesus, who lives near Frozen Toe,Alberta (well it is FROZEN Toe after all).Dollar a bullet but worth it.Greased with special walrus blubber I think.Shoots a 900 grain cast boolit backed by 4 grains of talcum powder.Holds 10 inch groups at 10 feet (acually thats the hole size of one boolit)but who's gonna be hunting with a 39 inch barrel gold gun anyway.Last thing I killed with it was a spider and I beat him to death with a boolit.Hee-haw.BJ
Rodney Lang
Levergunner

Post by Rodney Lang »

My choice for my favorite .22 is my Browning semi auto purchased in 1968 in Montreal and made in Belgium. I mounted a one inch big caliber 3X9 Bushnell scope on it and shoot CCI stinger hollow points. It will shoot the ars- --le out of a squirrel at 75 yards and handles like... sorry, this is a respectable site.
Rod.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here's my favourite a Uberti 73 carbine 22lr

Bucks Owin
Levergunner

Post by Bucks Owin »

Paco, let me first say I'm glad to be here. I've read all of your writings that I can find on the web and really enjoy them. You make good sense most of the time! :wink: I also really enjoy reading Jim Taylor and after finding a story of his Single Six with a piece of M-52 barrel and a .22 WMR chamber I wanted one too. After all, why not have the empty hole under the hammer be in .22 WMR! So I lucked out on a beautiful 6.5" OM Super Single Six at Gunbrokers for $200. It had a WMR cyl but no .22 LR so I swapped the mag cyl for a nice old recessed LR cyl and had my 'smith fit it and recut one chamber to WMR. While he was at it I had him work the trigger to around 2.5 lbs. I had the frame and stocks from my old 10" .44 FT laying around so I installed them too. (Unlike ol' Skeeter, I liked the "RED" frame much better for firing full tilt .44's) Anyway my "Jim Taylor Special" shoots beautifully. Just the other day I had it out and shot a 2" group at 57 paces off sandbags on the hood of my Cherokee. (Actually 4 rds went into 1" and I called a flier......sure enough). That was with my favorite "cheap" .22 ammo, American Eagle 38 gr HP in the 40 rd box. For kicks I fired a 45 gr WMR at the target too and it was 2.25" above the LR group and perfect for windage. I'm not claiming to be able to shoot groups like that with it every day BTW, I was just having a "divine" day I guess. I DO claim that it'll outshoot a lot of .22 rifles I've owned over the years. I have less dinero in it than a new Single Six and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Definately my "pet" rimfire. In fact, I think I'll sign off and go burn a little powder in it right now! :mrgreen: (My second favorite is an old Win M-60 single shot that I rebuilt for my son) :shock:
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

Savage model 3B, single shot. My Dad's first rifle, bought in 1939 when he was 10. 26" barrel and the the most accurate rifle with open sights out to about 80 yards I've ever used in any caliber. It's still a head shot rifle for small game for as far out as your eyes will allow. Who knows how many 1,000's of rounds have been down that barrel? Cost $8.00 new.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
First Sergeant
Levergunner

Post by First Sergeant »

IR 50/50 Benchrest rifle: Cooper 57m (sorry not a lever) Eley Black.
Revolvers: S&W Mdl. 17-3 6in, Ruger single six (22lr/22m) 53/8" anything I have on hand
Colt M-4 Carbine rimfire (again not a lever) any high velocity 22lr round
Pistols: Colt IV Series 80 45acp with conversion kit and a Ruger 22/45. anything I have on hand

My dealer friend is looking for a Winchester 94/22 which will complement my 9410 and 38-55 legacy carbine.
"not for fame or reward, not for place or for rank, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it." Confederate Memorial-Arlington National Cemetary Life Member NRA, American Legion, and Disabled American Veteran.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

1. Henry Model Hoo1L .22lr
2. Winchester Model 9422M .22mag
3. Marlin model 60SB .22lr
4. Mitchell Arms Model AK-22M .22mag
5. Davis Model DM22M Derringer .22mag

My favorite is the Winchester, but I shoot the Henry the most, for squirrels and plinking.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Love my winchester 250, 255, and 310, I am a unrepentant lever gun sort, pretty much shoot Winchester or Remington targets when I can gets em. The discount 22 stuff just ain't as good as it was a while back then again I mat just be getting picky.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

....or they cranked up production to meet the Obama2K crisis, and QC went to hell. After all, most of those folks hardly shoot at all.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

HERE ARE MY .22 RIMFIRES: Winchester model 9422m .22mag
Henry model H001L Lever carbine .22lr
Marlin model 60sb auto loader with scope .22lr
Mitchell Arms AK-22 .22mag
Davis Industries model DM22 .22mag Derringer
The neatest and best quality is the Winchester, but I shoot the Henry the most, it has the slickest action and is the most fun. I know some elitists look down on Henry's but it only cost $239.00 and just shoots and shoots. Squirells beware! I also have a Ruger Single-Six on lay-a-way, but its in .17HMR. Merry Christmas to all.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
EriCal
Levergunner

Post by EriCal »

Remingtons: 40X Mountain, 40X Repeater, 504 Custom

Marlins:

Springfield M2 (And some NRA Sporters);

Browning:

And a Winchester Repro:

Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

TC Contender Carbine barrel, Marlin 39 TDS (a marlin 'Trapper' length carbine), and Winchester 9422.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Cimmaron Uberti 1885 Low Wall
1st shot to first 4 groups
flusher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flusher »

1978 Marlin 39A

Last edited by flusher on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6" H&R 999 Sportsman
Winchester PP ammo
Olevern
Levergunner

Post by Olevern »

Some real purty firearms there, gentlemen.
I own and shoot a number of 22 rimfires, including a Marlin 39M, H&R model 5200, Ruger 10-22 heavy barrel, Stevens M 416 with Unertl scope, Win. mod. 75, CZ 453, Sav. mod. 6D, an old model Taurus pump, and a Taurus copy of the Win. 63.

For handguns, I have a S&W 41, a Mitchell "Trophy", a S&W K-22, a Ruger single six and an old T/C Contender with oct. bbl.

As for ammo, I mainly stick to Win. Power Point as it shoots really well in most everything I own, makes it simple to just purchase one kind in case lots. I do, on occasion treat the target rifle and the mod. 41 Smith to premium stuff, 'specially if engaging in some informal competition with friends.
wsmrto
Levergunner

Post by wsmrto »

I really like the old ITHICA lever model 72 of which I have two that are just about like new and a Model 49-R which is the early and quite rare lever made by Ithica here in US before the change to the 72 made by Erma in Germany. The 72's are as smooth and very nearly identical to the Henry. Actually Henry (before they were Henry) bought the plans and rights from Ithica back when it was J Jovino Guns in NY. I have several 22 handguns and really like the old H&R model 650 which is about the same size as a Single -Six. For the $100. I paid it shoots very nice.
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

ODCMP Kimber 82G. "Rusty" model. Unertl 20x.
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/ ... MG2703.jpg
Biggred
Levergunner

Post by Biggred »

Mornin Folks, new guy here, just wanted to chime in. My favorite is a Marlin39A. Wife bought it at a Kmart back in about 82 or so and it was one of the best Christmas presents I've ever got. It's downrite majic. It'll outshoot anyone who uses it, it's just one of those guns. The sights have wore off though, I really have to look to see them anymore. As a handgun goes, I have to say a bad word and go with a semi-auto. I've got a Ruger MK1 bull barrel that I really love. I'll figger out how to put a picture here (OK I'll have my daughter tell me) and I'll show you all. Anywho, thanks for lettin me in, and God bless. Frank
flusher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flusher »

1961 Marlin 39A Mountie ; 1968 Colt Woodsman

Last edited by flusher on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

My favorite rimfire is my Winnie 75T target .22 made in 1941 ---tack driver !
madman
Levergunner

Post by madman »

Man you Gents sure Have some nice Rifles. I have a Lever Browning .22 old old one. also have a Ruger 10-22(oops not a lever gun sorry) BUT it has a Valqerian?? sear trigger mag release and the Boys that shoot 100 metre silouette tried it out and they loved it. Anyhow also own a very old coey? Im no spellin Bee champ so exuse my lack of education LOL Mike
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Got into this a little late, but Have a few nice ones;
Most accurate rifles in order of accuracy
1 Anshutz 1710 HB / K30 scope , Midas M or Wolf Match Extra
2 Kimber Classic Zeies 4X14 conquest Midas M or Wolf Match Extra
3 Marlin 39A 4x12 Bushnell ,American Eagle
4 Ruger 10-22 4x Bushnell , American Eagle
5 Winchester "63 , Haven't had time to really test yet
Pistols
1 Colt woodsman series 3 4" Haven't had time to test thourally yet. Shoots every thing better than I can hold. Will never part with this.
2 Ruger Mark 2 5 1/2' Bull brl Wolf Match Extra

For my money Wolf Match Extra and American Eagle are great, of course the Midas M is best ,
but much to expensive. For Match shooting I'll spend the money. For squirrels the American Eagle would be my choice.
Big Fella
Levergunner

Post by Big Fella »

My favorite rifle is a Marlin 39 that Cam Irwin slicked up and the stock guy from winchester checkered the stock. Got real lucky with the 22 revolver. At EOT a couple years back, I bought a Ruger flat top Single Six that Wes Flowers had worked over. By the way, Wes sells the coil spring he puts in the Single Sixes. Really makes them SMOOTH!!!
Stay Safe!!!!
kaferhaus
Levergunner

Post by kaferhaus »

My favorite is a 37A Mountie (1964) It likes the mini mags and velocitors quite a bit, but shoots Wolf Match Target really well too. Shoots anything I put in it but really doesn't care much for the bulk ammo accuracy wise, but I'm picky about accuracy.

Could also be because it's the only 22 I own!

I hope to add to my pathetic collection soon.
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

My Savage Mk.II TR is my current favorite. It really likes Wolf MT the best but will handle CCI Blazers really well also.

neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Have not found nothing yet to top my good old HB Anschutz 54
It groups unreal with Lapua ammo (one tiny ragged hole!)