OT 22 hornet and coyotes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

OT 22 hornet and coyotes

Post by iceman »

Is the 22 hornet enough for coyotes. I am thinking of trying my luck this year at hunting them. Should I look at larger caliber which I already have ie 300 savage 30/30 or go 22 cal with a bit more poop. Hides are not going at a great price as far as I know so just blow them up and forget or try and presereve the hide? I am thinking an old savage 340 in 222 rem would be good or maybe a 25-20 if I could find one. What says you inside 100 yds is there any difference between the 22 honet and 222/223?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT 22 hornet and coyotes

Post by crs »

The only coyote that I ever shot with my .22 Hornet (at 50 yards) leaped into the air and hit the ground dead. :o
That was with a WW 45 grain jacketed softpoint bullet that I use on wild turkeys. The Hornady VMAX bullets at 3100 fps might do just as well and would extend your range a bit. I hit a prairie dog with a .22 Hornet VMAX at a lasered 165 yards and it did a double back flip, DRT. :)
If you have the Hornet, try it before you spend the time and money on a more powerful round.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

iceman, that hornet will kill them just fine, I use a 22 mag have never wished I had anything more powerful. danny
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

22 hornet will do just fine. That is my go to gun when coyote hunting.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

++++
"That'll Be The Day"
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

I've killed a pile of them with an H&R Handi Rifle in 22 Hornet. I use WW 45 gr JHP, and it kills them very dead.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Are you guys getting exit holes on coyotes shot with the Hornet?
NRA Life Member
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

TedH wrote:Are you guys getting exit holes on coyotes shot with the Hornet?
I have when I used the 45 gr SP, but not very often with the HP. I generally pop them in the shoulder, when they are out past about 75 yards.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

TedH wrote:Are you guys getting exit holes on coyotes shot with the Hornet?
Normally do not have exit holes unless they are very close shots. I normally take head shots at 50 yards or less and shoulder shots beyond that. Did have a 40 gr v-max exit on a head shot but the range was about 15 yards. :D
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The little hornet is a babe IMO and very under estimated. Forget what is better as in I mean nearly every cartridge is good and comparing does not really help.

The hornets I have owned have delivered more than ample, I have taken a deer with one and scores of fox's and dabbled with all sorts of loads.

One can load it at 22 speeds or 22mag speeds or as mentioned with 40grn v-max have them a sizzling.
The ammount of powder it holds will allways put a smile on your face.

If your looking for an old one check it's twist, the old ones were 1in16" which pretty much limits you to 45grn bullets. A 1in14" will chuck upto 55grners and sweet they are.

Some slow shotgun powders are good with caution! I have also used slow rifle powders that don't get going but give HV 22 speeds.

Good luck :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

.22 Hornet is perfect I used to use a 22WMR all the time to great effect.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I was just wondering what I can expect out of my 218 Bee on coyotes. I'm shooting the Hornady 45 gr. "Bee" hollow point bullet at 2650 fps. I haven't shot these bullets at anything but paper yet and am just curious how explosive they are. I reckon I should shoot one or two into some milk jugs to see what they do.
NRA Life Member
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

doorgunner wrote:I've killed a pile of them with an H&R Handi Rifle in 22 Hornet. I use WW 45 gr JHP, and it kills them very dead.
Dad used to pack my H&R Topper .22H in a saddle scabbard on the tractor. It had a Redfield 2x7 on it and he killed every one he ever shot at, which was several. Used the same load too. I think I paid about $150 for the whole rig and it was suprisingly accurate.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

firefuzz wrote:
doorgunner wrote:I've killed a pile of them with an H&R Handi Rifle in 22 Hornet. I use WW 45 gr JHP, and it kills them very dead.
Dad used to pack my H&R Topper .22H in a saddle scabbard on the tractor. It had a Redfield 2x7 on it and he killed every one he ever shot at, which was several. Used the same load too. I think I paid about $150 for the whole rig and it was suprisingly accurate.

Rob
Well Rob, that's about what I paid for mine, minus the cheap Bushnell scope, not all that long ago. Those H&R single shots are top notch rifles, for very little $$.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Another good thing about the .22 Hornet is compared to some other centerfire .22s they are much quieter if you have to use them in semi built up areas.

GK Jr has mine now. :cry:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

doorgunner wrote:
firefuzz wrote:

Rob
Well Rob, that's about what I paid for mine, minus the cheap Bushnell scope, not all that long ago. Those H&R single shots are top notch rifles, for very little $$.
I've heard they've really improved the triggers on the newer Handi-Rifles too.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

firefuzz wrote:
doorgunner wrote:
firefuzz wrote:

Rob
I've heard they've really improved the triggers on the newer Handi-Rifles too.

Rob
Possibly, but they must have skipped mine. It's horrendous, but that's the only thing bad that I can say about the rifle.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

TedH wrote:I was just wondering what I can expect out of my 218 Bee on coyotes. I'm shooting the Hornady 45 gr. "Bee" hollow point bullet at 2650 fps. I haven't shot these bullets at anything but paper yet and am just curious how explosive they are. I reckon I should shoot one or two into some milk jugs to see what they do.
I have tried them in the hornet and treb2, they do burst but not real violently, I allways thought of them as a mini XTP.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll use my BRNO in 22 hornet for coyotes this year. The only issue I have with it is the double set triggers and if a quick shot is needed, the unset pull is pretty heavy. If I stumble upon an old Savage 340 in 22H or 222 rem ,I might be tempted. Just have to make an excuse for the better half though. Details, details. :D :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

The 22 Hornet is a VERY popular cartridge in north central PA for turkey and coyote. The coyote population has seen a resurgence over the past 15 years and the Hornet, 222 Rem, and 223 Rem are the most popular rounds for coyote hunting.

It is speculated that the PA Game Commission (PGC) brought in a substantial number of coyotes to increase the number of "natural" predators for deer, elk, and other game, a claim that the PGC vehemently denies.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .