Stumbled Upon a 1894CSS(MANY Pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Stumbled Upon a 1894CSS(MANY Pics)

Post by Haycock »

Well... I stumbled onto an 1894CSS in a local shop yesterday.... of course I took it home... guess my reloading rig will have to wait a little while longer... what's a guy to do, you know? :wink:

Here it is:

Here it is with my 686.... they make a perfect pair, dontcha think?

Here's one with the 686 and my 17-6.... not sure which goes better with the carbine, the matching .357 revolver or it's .22 cal little brother...

Here's one with my woods-knife... a WWII Navy Mk II built by Camillus

Here it is with my Mauser.... I like the poetry of a "57" lineup... an 8x57 rifle and a .357 carbine... makes me think a .257 Roberts might have a place in that lineup over time...

Here are a few more of the carbine itself............. enjoy!

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stumbled Upon a 1894CSS(MANY Pics)

Post by Grizz »

That's a beauty for sure. Great meat gun and plinker and homeland defender too. I like your sling setup. I like the whole kit. Thanks for posting.

Grizz
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Grizz wrote:That's a beauty for sure. Great meat gun and plinker and homeland defender too. I like your sling setup. I like the whole kit. Thanks for posting.

Grizz
+1.....it's all those things for sure. Congrats!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

That exact gun has been on my "next purchase" list for a couple years now. What did it run you if you don't mind? What ever it was you done good my friend!
LK
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

that's a beauty! I've got a 686 myself...you're giving me ideas :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) You're going to give AJ heart palpatations over that stainless steel beauty! :wink: :lol:
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Very nice looking carbine indeed. I had always thought of stainless as utilitarian but with that wood wow!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's wonderful!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Haycock...she's a beauty fer sure! Congrats pard!

LB
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Why Marlin does not make those again, I have no idea, they would sell a boat load!
Congrats on a great find.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Handy little piece. Congratulations on a nice find.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one, well done :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Thanks, gents! I'm pretty happy with the whole turn of events.

The trigger on the carbine is really, really crisp... but heavy. Feels like about 6-7 pounds.

My intention is to work on the trigger (spring kit, maybe???), replace the plastic follower and either put an FP on it or maybe a tang sight... not sure which yet.

Then.... the range! Now that I have figured out how to take, transfer and post pics pretty easily from my new phone (that's still wacky to me) I will be sure to document how it goes.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Grizz wrote:That's a beauty for sure. Great meat gun and plinker and homeland defender too. I like your sling setup. I like the whole kit. Thanks for posting.

Grizz
Thanks, Grizz... appreciate that.

The slings are Montana slings and I haven't found another type that is as simple, rugged and generally usable. They make two kinds... sewn up permanently and with Chicago screws so you can open them up.

The one on my Mauser has the screws and believe it or not, you can actually use it with the original Mauser stock in place of the side-rig only issue slings. You have to get a little creative with the looping, but it can be made to work perfectly in that capacity. Neat, huh?

Haycock
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice Stuff!!

Mauser looks cool too!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Nice rig but a recoil pad on a 357mag is a bit overkill isn't it? Neither of my 357mag Rossis wear one and I've not found even my stoutest magnum loads to generate much recoil.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

COSteve wrote:Nice rig but a recoil pad on a 357mag is a bit overkill isn't it? Neither of my 357mag Rossis wear one and I've not found even my stoutest magnum loads to generate much recoil.
COSteve,

I totally agree.... the pads are there for an increase in LOP on both rifles... I need the extra length as I have long arms.

I had some shoulder problems over the last couple of years so I own several of the lace-on pads you see there, but I am now able to shoot the 8x57 comfortably even when its wearing it's original metal-cupped shoulder-pounder stock and I'm feeding it full-power Sellier & Bellot 196gr'ers at 2590fps. I've actually come to really enjoy the feel of the thing... never really understood when folks said they liked recoil before this rifle... I think it's something to do with heavy/slow vs. light/fast recoil... I have the same experience with my 686... 125gr screamers are less pleasing to shoot than 180gr heavies...

Haycock
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

L_Kilkenny wrote:That exact gun has been on my "next purchase" list for a couple years now. What did it run you if you don't mind? What ever it was you done good my friend!
LK
LK - Total cost was $640 plus tax.

Haycock
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Very cool! 8) You're going to give AJ heart palpatations over that stainless steel beauty! :wink: :lol:
Actually I managed to get my wish...
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20029
...but it was not a well-finished gun (see post) so I did some stock-swapping and so on, and later found one with a better fit and finish. You really HAVE to troll the internet, be ready to use plastic money at a wholesaler, and have your FFL's information ready to fax to them if it isn't already in their system. $650 or something like that was the 'hit' - plus lots of phone calls, browsing on the internet, and faxing.

L_Kilkenny wrote:That exact gun has been on my "next purchase" list for a couple years now. What did it run you if you don't mind? What ever it was you done good my friend!
LK
For others who are interested in the 1894 css - if you call The Outdoorsman, in Indianapolis/Greenwood IN, they may have one (they did last week), and this place will let you reserve one - http://www.thegunsource.com/item/167373 ... .aspx?SR=1 - I've reserved guns there and gotten them before, but I don't know their overall success rate. Good price, though, if you're willing to wait and/or gamble on availability.

Haycock wrote:
COSteve wrote:Nice rig but a recoil pad on a 357mag is a bit overkill isn't it? Neither of my 357mag Rossis wear one and I've not found even my stoutest magnum loads to generate much recoil.
I also have long arms and like the extra LOP, but like to keep the original short stock on the gun and just use a 'add-on' pad; that is cheaper, and can be disposed of when hunting in winter and using a thick coat, or just 'toting' on a hike.

I really like the looks of that buttstock-pad - what kind is it?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

AJMD429 wrote:I really like the looks of that buttstock-pad - what kind is it?
Kick-Killer Lace-Ons

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012757221948a.shtml

Haycock
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Congratulations! Nice photos! I have one of those on layaway, that I hope to pick up soon.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

stunning collection!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS