OT- Roy Rogers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Roy Rogers

Post by Gun Smith »

I was surfing in the SASS site and saw a notice that the Roy Rogers Museum will be closing it's doors in December.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Roy Rogers

Post by w30wcf »

Sorry to hear of that. I was hoping to visit there within the next year or two........

Here's Dusty's letter regarding the closing:
http://www.royrogers.com/announcement.html

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We went to the Branson Museum and met Dusty. Wonderful folks. Sometimes change is hard.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Darn! Why is it the good things always go away long before their time, but the bad things just seem to hang on forever?

I've never been to the Roy Rogers museum. Now I'll never get the chance. Nuts!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

thats what happens when we let our kids play video games and watch oriental cartoons on cable.

How's an "icon" supposed to stay an "icon"?

Can you imagine the "museums" our childrens generation will go too? "The Family Guy Musem",
"AC/DC" tribute bands...."Transformers"

I need to weep now... later fellas.

Happy Trails, Dusty

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Visited the museum back in the 70's when it was in Victorville in California, enjoyed it very much. Shame it has to close.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Why? :o :cry:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Museum is a 501c3 entity. You can donate (see bottom of the page) and that donation would be tax deductible. I imagine that if there are enough donations this might just keep the museum open. As the former treasurer and former secretary of such a foundation, I know it can be difficult to raise money. Lack of money is why it is closing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

The problem is that you have to be an old codger to remember Roy Rogers and there are fewer of us old codgers every year.

Speaking of Roy Rogers, isn't it uncanny how much country singer Clint Black looks like Roy? I wonder if they are related?
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

66GTO wrote:The problem is that you have to be an old codger to remember Roy Rogers and there are fewer of us old codgers every year.

Speaking of Roy Rogers, isn't it uncanny how much country singer Clint Black looks like Roy? I wonder if they are related?
:lol: My wife says that every time she sees Clint Black. I remember one time they appeared together and made of fun of the similarity. Astonishing!
ImageImage
Sincerely,

Hobie

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

First time I saw Clint, I said, That guy looks like Roy Rogers...!

I remember the time they appeared together. Always wondered why they didn't make more of that similarity.

Too bad about the museum. Notice of the closing has been floating around on the SASS Wire for a while now.

Happy Trails, Roy & Dale & all who remember...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:
66GTO wrote:The problem is that you have to be an old codger to remember Roy Rogers and there are fewer of us old codgers every year.

:lol: My wife says that every time she sees Clint Black. I remember one time they appeared together and made of fun of the similarity. Astonishing!
ImageImage
I believe they did a song together....back in the early 90s

They should bring Roys stuff to the NRA museum...or Gene Autrys museum
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:

ImageImage
I believe they did a song together....back in the early 90s

They should bring Roys stuff to the NRA museum...or Gene Autrys museum
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Wife & I have a young Roy's picture right on the wall by our front door..He's a looking at us before we walk out into the world.. Wifey says she rode her stick horse years after she should have...to the point her big brothers would hide it from her... :lol: Bummed the museum will be gone...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

I've posted this before but thought you all would enjoy seeing them again. These are old photos taken at the original museum in Victorville.

Years ago, I bought a box of old sheet music at a yard sale. Sorting through the stuff at home, some old post cards and family pictures fell out of a magazine. Never before seen, but now revealed on Leverguns, I share them for your enjoyment.

Happy Trails to Roy Rogers & Trigger the wonder horse...

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

LOL, my ex says that every time she sees Clint. One of my favorite songs is "Hoppy, Gene, and Me", but I don't guess I'm a very good cowboy as "a cowboy never cries, that's how it's gotta be"...brings tears to my eyes anymore when I hear it.

The closing of the museum is going to be one of those things I always wanted to see, but never got to.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Saw Roy and Dale in 1959 at the Oregon Centennial State Fair. I was 6. Fact is, those of us who grew up with them, and with the Sons of the Pioneers, are coming to the finals chapters of our own lives, and the interest in the icons of our times is waning with our numbers.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

So who gets custody of Trigger?
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I hate to see it happen, but that's what Roy said to do if it wasn't making money. He was my favorite as a kid. He and Dale came to my elementry school in Fort Worth. When I got older John Wayne took over. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Borregos wrote:Visited the museum back in the 70's when it was in Victorville in California, enjoyed it very much. Shame it has to close.
In the 70's it was in Apple Valley. Later they moved it to, or just possibly just outside of Victorville just off I 15. I suppose they were trying to get more people to see it and stop by. They moved to Branson for the same reason. Sadly, the generations that watched Dale & Roy are fading, so interest is lagging. Too bad, the original (Apple Valley) site had some beatiful firearms and great stuffed critters. The big ole bear standing on it's hind legs was impressive.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
Hobie wrote:
66GTO wrote:They should bring Roys stuff to the NRA museum...or Gene Autrys museum
I don't believe Gene and Roy were all that "friendly".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Saw Roy and Dale in 1959 at the Oregon Centennial State Fair. I was 6. Fact is, those of us who grew up with them, and with the Sons of the Pioneers, are coming to the finals chapters of our own lives, and the interest in the icons of our times is waning with our numbers.
In the early 70's, I was stationed at George AFB outside of Victorville. Roy was a regular at the Victorvalley Bowl. Always had time for GI's. Not a bad bowler either.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"