OT - Ruger Single-Six accuracy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Ruger Single-Six accuracy

Post by Lefty Dude »

Joe;

I was at Ben Avery range this AM early, very nice weather BTW. I was load testing for my B-92/44. I thru in the Ruger SS three screw and my Marlin 97 rifle in the back of the Tahoe.
After I finished with the B-92 I shoot the RSS with the Winchester 333's which are Super X 36 gr. HP's. They are the bulk version of the Super X, which I have always found to be a accurate round. Out of the box they shoot very good groups, to-date better than any thing I have in my 22 ammo closet. At 15 yards on the bench, 3/8". 25 yards, 1 1/4". This was benched, grip supported only on my shooting bag, filled with lead shot.

If you can find some, give them a try as part of your test. It will be interesting to compare.

My RSS is a S/N 20-79XXX
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My 9 1/2" 1966 model REALLY likes Winchesters Super X 40gr. Most of my Rugers shoot tiny groups with CCI Mini Mags, but this SS instead likes the Winchester. 30 yard groups routinely run around 3/4".

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Ruger don't chamber the 22 cylinder , they DRILL them straight threw , there is NO STEP in cylinder . If it was chamber a 22 would stop like the one in pic of my Cimarron . The 22 will drop in all the way in a Ruger . The Cimarron has a .222 barrel not the Ruger .224 , which is not a 22LR barrel .

Image..Image
Image......Image
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite ammo used to be the Remington #1522, 40 gr solids, now known as Remington Golden.....

.......The last two bulk pack that I bought of this stuff was world-class bad.
Same here.

It REALLY makes me wonder when the 'report' is very noticeably different, especially in a non-revolver. There is no reason other than poor AMMO that should occur. :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lefty Dude wrote:Joe;

I was at Ben Avery range this AM early, very nice weather BTW. I was load testing for my B-92/44. I thru in the Ruger SS three screw and my Marlin 97 rifle in the back of the Tahoe.
After I finished with the B-92 I shoot the RSS with the Winchester 333's which are Super X 36 gr. HP's. They are the bulk version of the Super X, which I have always found to be a accurate round. Out of the box they shoot very good groups, to-date better than any thing I have in my 22 ammo closet. At 15 yards on the bench, 3/8". 25 yards, 1 1/4". This was benched, grip supported only on my shooting bag, filled with lead shot.

If you can find some, give them a try as part of your test. It will be interesting to compare.

My RSS is a S/N 20-79XXX
Ahhh yes, the Black Canyon Gun Range. Lots of good hours spent there. Yeah I know it's the Ben Avery Range now. I just can't call it that.

I have some of that Winchester ammo. I'll get around to testing and shooting some eventually.

My Super Single-Six is older than yours. Serial # 5219xx. Ruger says it shipped May of 1966.

I think based on the reports of those who have posted here, and on TRF, my pistol just has a crappy cylinder. Like I mentioned in response to OS above, maybe I should look around for a New Model LR cylinder. Might just make a world of difference.

Oh hey, the last time I was at Ben Avery they had trays, boxes, and even a trailer filled with used brass for sale. I spent more time digging through that brass than I did shooting. Is that still there?

tn gun runner,
Every .22 LR revolver I own now and have ever owned has or had the chambers bored straight through. I've never seen one with a "chamber". This includes the three Colt .22 LR Single Actions I've owned as well.
I've never looked at an Uberti made .22 LR cylinder. Next time I get a chance I'll do so.

Ruger increased the bore diameter from .222" to .224" when they introduced the .22 Magnums. I doubt that was any benefit from what I've seen, but Ruger does it's own thing.

I think Ruger's biggest problem is the inconsistencies they allow in their tolerances. If they'd keep a grip on things I doubt we'd see the crappy accuracy we do with these guns.

Joe

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Joe;

FWIW, the new model cylinder's will not fit the older Guns. This is what I was told when I was looking for a pre-owned cylinder for mine.
I will be at the Arizona State SASS championships in Tombstone next week. I'll ask Wes Flowers if he has an extra hanging around in decent condition. As you know, Wes is one of the noted Ruger mechanics in the West Coast area. When I found mine I had him check it out. Mine was a drop-in, and required no fitting. If he has one I will make sure you have first choice. And I'll let you know when I return home. There will be no obligation on your part.

And yes, Black Canyon still has the brass sale table. I have lived in the Valley since 1960, I know that range very well. It is my second Home.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FWIW, the new model cylinder's will not fit the older Guns. This is what I was told when I was looking for a pre-owned cylinder for mine.
I will be at the Arizona State SASS championships in Tombstone next week. I'll ask Wes Flowers if he has an extra hanging around in decent condition. As you know, Wes is one of the noted Ruger mechanics in the West Coast area. When I found mine I had him check it out. Mine was a drop-in, and required no fitting. If he has one I will make sure you have first choice. And I'll let you know when I return home. There will be no obligation on your part.

And yes, Black Canyon still has the brass sale table. I have lived in the Valley since 1960, I know that range very well. It is my second Home.
LeftyDude,

Glad to hear about the brass tables at the Black Canyon. I so very much want to come home. Well, I got some plans, but they can't be spoken of yet. Those brass tables make me drool. :P

About the Ruger cylinders. They may or may not fit is the truer statement. My Old Model BH has New Model cylinders in it. When you send an Old Model to Ruger for new cylinders you don't get old model cylinders, you get New Model cylinders.
The biggest thing is fitting. Some will drop in and work, some will not.
Some are too long, some are too short.
It's a stuff shoot really.

I'd be thrilled if I could find one that fits that has normal sized chambers. I'll bet that would make a world of difference. If Wes Flowers has one with normal sized chambers, I'll measure mine for length and that will tell us a bunch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
clc79092
Levergunner

Post by clc79092 »

Some friends and I were having fun shooting various rifles at a 300 yard steel. One guy pulled out his marlin model 60 and we took turns trying to hit the steel. There were a few but it was the size of a 55 gallon barrel lid. But even from a bench there were noticable issues with the winchester super x. Some rounds would hit the ground half way! The report was so inconsistant that we looked to make sure we were using ammo from one box. It was some seriously crappy ammo. The most consistant that I have used is the CCI minimags. My old model is more accurate than my New Model but since I gave it to my son for his 17th birthday I dont get to shoot it anymore (it was passed to me from my father when I turned 17).
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

J Miller wrote:
tn gun runner,
Every .22 LR revolver I own now and have ever owned has or had the chambers bored straight through. I've never seen one with a "chamber". This includes the three Colt .22 LR Single Actions I've owned as well.
Joe
I shot a S&W K22 in matches and Interarms SA for fun and both of them were chambered and shot perfect with no leading . I traded the Interarm for a SS 22 Vaquero and boy was that was a big mistake . I would have given $100 to reverse the deal .
Image..Image
Image......Image