OT -@#$%^&*()(**&^^%$$#@!ing Armadillos!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT -@#$%^&*()(**&^^%$$#@!ing Armadillos!!!

Post by Doc Hudson »

Blank-dashed blankety-blanking armadillos are making my back yard look like the surface of the moon, i.e cratered and very difficult to walk upon.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the little blankers? BTW, much too thickly settled to shoot the little buggers, besides, it is too dark to see the sights.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
220swift
Levergunner

Re: OT -@#$%^&*()(**&^^%$$#@!ing Armadillos!!!

Post by 220swift »

Well, when I was down there, an '83 Olds worked well enough...... Thought I hit a bowling ball or something... :shock:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

220swift wrote:Well, when I was down there, an '83 Olds worked well enough...... Thought I hit a bowling ball or something... :shock:
Back in the late 1980's, I had a 1984 Ford LTD Brogham. Three times I ran over armadillos and they killed my car.

The fuel pump wires would get knocked off and the car would die there on the road. It always happened in the middle of the night, when heading home from work.

Since those days, I've taken pains NOT to hit armadillos with a vehicle.

Besides, there isn't room in the backyard for me to get the truck up to speed to give an armadillo a real knock.

Any other ideas?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

If it were me, I'd use my bow and take care of them rather silently. :mrgreen:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

bigbore442001 wrote:If it were me, I'd use my bow and take care of them rather silently. :mrgreen:
Come on down! You will e more than welcome!

i'll feed you on good Southern Country Cooking and if you'll clean it, I'll even cook you a Possum on the Half-Shell. :D

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Baseball bat or ax. Don't touch 'em. If you don't like that, live trap 'em and cart 'em off elsewhere.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'll send you my Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-5 to borrow if you want. Couple that with some Subsonics 22LR.....
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Use exteme caution when handling! One of three known species to carry leprosy. Send them to armadillo heaven.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Big Bore 94 wrote:Use exteme caution when handling! One of three known species to carry leprosy. Send them to armadillo heaven.

No joke? Is that why Hobie says "don't touch"?

They are starting to make their way north into the Wichita Area...seeing more and more killed on the road around here. If I were to shoot one, I'd probably have picked it up....any other dangers I'm not aware of with these armored possums?

Ed
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Go medieval on them varmints..
:evil: :twisted: :evil:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

if i catch any of the little buggers I will definitely send them to Armadillo Heaven, or Hades as the case may be.

There are two problems with "going medieval" on the little @#$$%%^^$##$%^&s:

1 - I've yet to catch any of them in the act.
2 - Being able to cross the yard fast enough to take them out with saber, axe, or bushhook. I'm serious about it being dangerous to cross the yard without closely watching your step.

Any ideas on what sort of bait I should use in a trap?

Are any traps effective other than the Hav-A-Heart traps?

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Tycer wrote:I'll send you my Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-5 to borrow if you want. Couple that with some Subsonics 22LR.....
Thanks Brother Tycer. I greatly appreciate the offer, but as I said, I've yet to catch any of the vermin in the act.

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Live trap them and ship them to:

B.H. Obama
16 Pennsylvania AV
Washington, DC

Tell him to keep his relatives out of your yard.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Figure they are probably in your yard around Midnight. Thats when they would come into Grandads yard and tear the snot out of it.

Taped a flashlight to my pellet rifle and heard the dog bark, so outside I went. Saw a shadow move so snuck up to about 15 ft and turned the light on. It froze momentarily, so I shot it.
Probably one of the CB caps would work well, and at that time of night, not too many up to hear it. Longer the barrel on the 22, the better.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

My catahoula hound dog runs em off. We had a Yorkshire that did not care to share her yard either.

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

J Miller wrote:Live trap them and ship them to:

B.H. Obama
16 Pennsylvania AV
Washington, DC

Tell him to keep his relatives out of your yard.

Joe
That is tempting Joe, but I don't figure to pay shipping so that BarryO can have a Possum on the Half-Shell Feast

Image Image
UNITE!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Vision and hearing are both poor in these animals, you can sneak up on em easily from behind. They are hard dyin critters though, even with a shot gun to the head they make a real ruckus on the way out. You might just try singing to em.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

octagon wrote:Vision and hearing are both poor in these animals, you can sneak up on em easily from behind. They are hard dyin critters though, even with a shot gun to the head they make a real ruckus on the way out. You might just try singing to em.

Has some lowdown son of a banana-boat skipper been talking bad about my singing voice again? :P

Image Image
UNITE!
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

A little bit of mellon on the trigger of a #110 connobear should give em a headache Doc. Oughta pinch that little head just fine. Keep the small dogs in though as it will kill most smaller dogs outright.

I have put broadheads clean through them things only to have em run off into the palmetto's to thrash away till they broke off the arrow. They are TOUGH! Sometimgs, the highlight of my forays into the southern states is a night hunt for speed bumps with the longbow. :lol: More fun than you can shake a pointy stick at.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I've got a CZ Ultra Lux .22LR with a 28" barrel that shoots subsonics with about as about report as a Gamo pellet rifle. Just the thing for backyard critters.

If you don't want to stay up after midnight to dispatch them, consider removing their food source. They are digging up your yard to get to the grubs. Go to a lawn and garden shop and ask for something to kill the grubs and the armadillos will move on to your neighbors yard.
Last edited by 66GTO on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You set a Have a Heart trap in the back yard with no bait in it at all and they'll wander into it eventually. You can also put a little cup of some kind in it with some red wigglers in it and they'll smell that and come lookin.

An old cracker friend of mine also told me that if you bury a 6"-10" diameter piece of PVC pipe at about a 45° angle that is about 14"-18" long they'll climb down in that lookin for food and won't be able to get back out.

After you catch 'em gut it and pour Bar B Que sauce into the open belly and bake belly side up in a 400° oven for about an hour and you won't be able to tell it from pork.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

I am curious as to what is going on with the armadillo war now that the sun has set.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Come on Doc, don't hold back - tell us what you really think of them cute little critters! :wink: :lol:
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

bigbore442001 wrote:If it were me, I'd use my bow and take care of them rather silently. :mrgreen:
Yes! That sounds like a blast. Just use arrows you don't care about breaking on their armour. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

44magHunter wrote:
Yes! That sounds like a blast. Just use arrows you don't care about breaking on their armour. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I can see the headlines now:

AP- A Crenshaw County Alabama man is in custody tonight after shooting over 20 arrows into his neighbors house. The man, identified by county police as Doctor Hudson is being held on $10,000 bond awaiting arraignment for malicious destruction of private property, vandalism, and firing a lethal weapon inside city limits. The assailant claims that the incident was an accident as the arrows were inadvertently ricocheting off of the backs of armadillos he was trying to kill in his yard, and that he did not know they were lodging in his neighbors residence. The Alabama Humane society is reviewing the case to decide whether they want to press animal cruelty charges, and the Alabama wildlife commission is contemplating charges for poaching Armadillos out of season. Property damage to the residence is estimated at $8,000.

Ed
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The Editor would have to make a change Ed, i don't live inside the city limits.

I also don't own a bow, s I think i could beat the charge and blame it on a Yankee invader. :lol:

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Big Bore 94 wrote:I am curious as to what is going on with the armadillo war now that the sun has set.
The remnants of Hurricane Ida is dumping torrential rains on us. I hope the armadillos drown in the holes they dig.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Come on Doc, don't hold back - tell us what you really think of them cute little critters! :wink: :lol:
My unexpurgated opinions about those blank-dashed bleepity-bleeps would never get past the censors.

Image Image
UNITE!