Fogged up old Weaver K2.5 and K3's aren't covered by the new

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Fogged up old Weaver K2.5 and K3's aren't covered by the new

Post by afish4570 »

Present day Weaver lifetime warranty isn't for the El Paso brand Weavers. Anyone with any luck having them cleaned and recharged. [also have have a variable V7 but the plastic ring that holds the lens in place is deteriorated and the lens rattles around so it sits waiting for a repair or replacement) Any comments...afish4570
afish4570
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fogged up old Weaver K2.5 and K3's aren't covered by the new

Post by mescalero1 »

OK,
We need to understand scope terminology here.
The " up " adjustment screw is top dead center on a riflescope.
I don't know who first started this nonsense, but one of the makers did.
The purpose was to create an artificial atmosphere inside the scope.
This was a great idea, ( untill the seal was comprimised ) then not so good.
Mount the scope in a padded vise, use an electric drill, drill from the bottom of top dead center ( with an .080 drill bit ) clear chips often, just break through the wall of the tube of the scope ( not put the bit into the tube ) just break through.
Do this in the from the bottom up position.
Vacum the chips, if you do it right, there will not be any.
With a small breathing hole in the scope, the ambient atmosphere and the atmosphere inside the scope will be equalized, no fogging.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not to step on the above post but wasn't there a firm that repaired the old Weaver scopes? I found Iron Sight Inc., is this the firm which had such a good reputation?

PS - That older firm was Weaver Scope Repair Service and Frank Ruiz. They are closing or have closed. Weaver Scope Repair Service in El Paso, TX 79925 - (915) 593-1005
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, the fella who used to repair the ElPaso Weaver scopes used to work for Weaver - much like mescalero/Redfield - but I seem to remember that he's now gone from the scene, either retired or for the dirt nap.

I would trust mescalero's advice implicitly, regarding scope mechanics - but I dunno 'bout wimmen, being that he's IIRC ex-Navy. ;)

76/444

Post by 76/444 »

mescalero1,.... you have mail.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Hobie wrote:Not to step on the above post but wasn't there a firm that repaired the old Weaver scopes? I found Iron Sight Inc., is this the firm which had such a good reputation?

PS - That older firm was Weaver Scope Repair Service and Frank Ruiz. They are closing or have closed. Weaver Scope Repair Service in El Paso, TX 79925 - (915) 593-1005
You beat me to it, Hobie. Last I checked for my K3, it was about $45 to repair, plus shipping both ways.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Haven't tried these places yet but here's what I have bookmarked:

http://www.abousainc.com/OtherOptics.htm

http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/

I would at least call them and see what they recommend.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”