one raged hole sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fred45
Levergunner

one raged hole sights

Post by fred45 »

Hi all!

have a marlin and a winny both about 1976ish. I bought a Williams 5D, and it was bent or something I actualy thought the winny barrel was rotated a bit when I put it on the marlin I could see the change in the space under the sight. anyway, has anyone tried the "One Raged Hole" peep sight? what did you think? I know the distance from the eye is a thing but? I am thinking of putting it on the winny and a Skinner on the marlin.
Don McDowell

Re: one raged hole sights

Post by Don McDowell »

Put the ORH on both. I like the way the sight doesn't goober up the receiver of the rifle like the others do. Lots of folks say that it puts the sight to far from your eye and won't be as accurate. Those folks need to get off the computer and onto the range and grab some experience.
4 shots off crossticks 100 yds

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I had one and couldn't shoot it worth a darn, so I sold it.... :? Don't let my poor shooting make a decision for you, I stink with peeps anyway. It was a nicely made and finished though.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've made my own version of it with a bigger hole, but it works great. I have one on a Marlin 3030 and one on a Winny 94.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are along the same concept, but obscure less of the target, though, vs. regular 'open' sights. Yours looks more 'authentic' though, I have to admit - people make fun of mine as too 'space age' (until they shoot with it, then they like it... :lol: )

$14.99 from MidwayUSA, - "Marble's Bullseye sight" Mine's the "1-7/8" whatever that means (it sure isn't that big in diameter - maybe it is "size # 1" and 7/8" diameter. Whatever...

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

I had one on my 94 for a while, and I couldn't hit anything with it.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Aj apparently that 1 7/8 means how long the sight base is.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have the ORH on a Marlin. Works great.
ED
Yer never too old
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've put on on my Ruger Blackhawk. They are a wonderful thing for older eyes. It's held up very well, and hold adjustment. Can't say anything better than that for any sight.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don McDowell wrote:Aj apparently that 1 7/8 means how long the sight base is.
First off, that was GOOD shooting ( 8) 8) 8) ), and does verify the utility of a barrel-mounted peep.

I've used the little "replacement rear folding sight assembly, complete" that MidwayUSA sells for the Ruger Ranch Rifle on several guns with great results, and it is compact and folds out of the way for use of a tang, conventional receiver peep, or scope. Good 'backup' sight. $14 from Midway.

Secondly, in addition to the non-adjustable one, Midway lists two 'Marbles Bullseye' sights using conventional elevator adjustment (both $15):

Marble's Bullseye Rear Sight 1-7/8" with Double Step Elevator .338 to .535 Height BlueProduct #: 317428 | Manufacturer #: 006950 (This is the one on my gun shown above.)
image1.jpg
Marble's Bullseye Rear Sight 2-3/4" with Double Step Elevator .338 to .535 Height BlueProduct #: 132532 | Manufacturer #: 006951
image.jpg
The bigger-looking one might be real nice on a home-protection shotgun... :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It works exactly as advertised..... I have one on a 9422M and I'll leave it there....have had them on Ruger DAs and SAs and promptly took them off.......Preference, not performance.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AJ thanks. That group you got in your picture looks pretty decent it's own self.
I may have to try one of those Bullseyes. Nice thing about sights like that a fella can move it from rifle to rifle until it finally finds a home. :D
fred45
Levergunner

Post by fred45 »

Hey thanks. some great pics, that Marbles has a great ghost ring look to it. I may have to look deeper on Midway.
Thanks everyone