What are you going to deer hunt with?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: What are you going to deer hunt with?

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I'll be using my Mathews Drenalin from next week until Muzzleloading season.

Then I'm going to use my LH .40 flintlock for about 10 days.

Then when rifle season rolls I'm going switch between my 336 in .35 Remington

And my 1894 with the homemade large loop lever complete with trigger stop.... :wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

This year I will be using my imagination as again this year I dot have any where to hunt. :( But hey post those pics and hunt reports so I can at least live vicariously.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

[quote="deerwhacker444"].
I'll be using my Mathews Drenalin from next week until Muzzleloading season.

Then I'm going to use my LH .40 flintlock for about 10 days.

I really like you Lefthand Flinter. Have you ever shot a deer with yet, and if so, how did it do?
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

If I get time, I will probaby hunt first with my Horton Crossbow, then either my TC cut down Hawken 54 cal, but I hope my Jackie Brown lefthand flintlock 62 cal fowler comes in time for the eairly fall muzzle loading season.

Regular gun, it just depends on my opportunities, time, and blood pressure. If I just really want to get something killed, then it would be my old Browning BLR in .308 win, but this year I may just use one of my pre-64 Winchester model 94's, 30/30.

I have a few other levers I would like to use, but I havn't spent the time to get then sighted in, after some sight changes etc. yet. And unfortunatly I am running out of time, and too much work on the job is messing up my hunting seasons, as it often does.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I suppose I'll take the Takedown BLR 358 Win and blood it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Lastmohecken wrote: I really like you Lefthand Flinter. Have you ever shot a deer with yet, and if so, how did it do?
Nope, haven't killed anything with it yet. It takes all the mental control I can muster to shoot a flintlock accurately, so I limit myself to no more than 75 yards, hopefully 50 or less. There's just something about a small explosion going off a few inches from your face that is hard for me to ignore.. :wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

it is common to see hundreds, yes hundreds of shootable deer yet there will be restricted tags in that area with other near barren areas with multiple tags avaliable.
the deer know where to go, they must have a spy in Fish & Game

For me it'll be a 336 in 30-30, this year I got a tang sight installed and I'm ditching the scope.

Probably won't get to hunt though, if they keep the forests closed. Maybe D-13 will be open.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Mike D. wrote:Our deer season ended yesterday. :cry:
Come on up here Mike. The first day of deer season starts on the 1st Saturday of October in the X-1, X-2, X-3, X3a and X-3b Zones.

I didn't draw a Deer Tag this year but did draw a Elk Tag. No luck for Elk this year. Oh well, there's always next year.
ED
Yer never too old
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Dont forget the salt shaker!
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

First and foremost:

Rossi pre-safety model 92, 24" half-round, half octagon with a Marbles peep. Ordered some 300 Gr WFN-GC hardcasts, gonna work up some loads with H110.

Another Rossi model 92, a carbine, with factory sights (my CAS backup gun) using my last few 300-gr Lee FNGC's from last year, 1780 fps over a charge of H110. Shoots a nice 3" group at 100 yards, but I only have a dozen rounds left from the batch I made last year.

Handgun: Ruger Bisley Vaquero, mid nineties vintage, in .45 Colt, with my standby load of 9.0 gr of Universal beneath a Keith 260 SWC.

Backup: Scoped Ruger .44 carbine, 240 XTP at 1890 fps.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well I went out earlier this month with the rebuilt Rolling Block Sporting rifle in .40-65 Win. Hoped to get it's first blood, but to no avail. Severe winter kills the last two winters are taking their tolls and no buck deer were even spotted. Hope this winter is better, so something shows up next fall.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I will sit out on the back 200 a couple of afternoons with a 1912 vintage, W 1894 SRC in 25-35.

A Marlin 95 in 357 may venture out a day or two also.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I am happy to return after a long absence. This is a great topic to start again on! I am going to hunt in Missouri with my W-94BB 375 Winchester with William FP. I will carry my Ruger .357 blackhawk flattop (anniversary edition) on my hip. I keep my M-70 (pre-64) 30-06 with Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 available as well and pick the best tool for the hunting I am planning to do.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Lately I hunt everything with a 500 Linebaugh converted Ruger Redhawk 5" bbl.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Been hunting with a .44 Marlin Cowboy since last Saturday! I think I may take out the ol' 1939 Model 64 in 25-35 and see if it changes my luck :D

Also been chasing them around with my 5 1/2" Ruger Flattop .44. It has taken a lot of game for me over the years.

Got 10 more days :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Mike Rintoul wrote:Lately I hunt everything with a 500 Linebaugh converted Ruger Redhawk 5" bbl.
:shock: WOW !! Mike how's that to shoot? The last Redhawk I shot made me go straight back to my Ruger SBH converted to Bisley. Quickly. Must be like someone dropping a 16lb bowling ball on your hands every time you touch it off.....OUCH !! Then again you might know somebody who can reload something "special" for it. :wink:
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I will probably be banished from the forum for saying this but, I hunt sambar down here with my Tikka T3 Lite in .30.06 sprg.

I am too careful with the wood on my lever guns and don't want to scratch them up in the scrub. The only calibre Winchester I own, that I think, is ethical for a 300-350kg sambar, would probably be my 38-55 Legendary Frontiersmen.

I know, call myself a levergunner :roll:

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
gumpond
Levergunner

Post by gumpond »

I'll probably stick with the 30wcf. I'll mostly use a Winchester model 94 with a Redfield peep. Or I could use a 94AE legacy with williams foolproof and firesite. Or a Marlin model 36 with buckhorn site. Or maybe a Marlin 336 with a Leupold 2 power fixed scope.

I do like a good 3030. :D
Greg
"Starvation is cheap." Glemie Dean Beasley
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Every season I put more thought into this than anything else. This year, it will be a '73 SRC in .38WCF, a '94 half mag. SRC in .38-55, or a 64/94 hybrid in .32WS.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Three deer hunters in our family this year... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After the past year's trading and fooling around, I wound up with my choices discussed earlier in the thread, and here are the two my kids will use:

My 'main' one - the Ruger 96/44 because it is easy to unload for crossing roads, coming in the house, etc., and just because I like it... :wink:

My 'rain' one - the Ruger 77/44 because it's not got any blued steel or wood other than the sights.

Both the above guns have 1:20 twist, too, in case I ever decide to use heavy bullets vs. the 240 grain ones.

My 'updated' one - since I had to fork over my original 1894 to my son when he got his first deer with it, I got a stainless 1894, and it's not killed a buck yet, so I need to give it a chance.

My son's - (and formerly my) Marlin 1894 has the honor of getting the biggest buck (10 points) our family has gotten, and he'll use that this year. He can't get a buck with it (Ha! :lol: ) because he already got one during bow season.

My daughter's - she used to fear .44 Recoil, but traded in her .357 on a Puma 16" .44 Mag; she hits well with it, so should be good to go!

For Muzzleloader Season, here's what we'll use:

Me the Savage ML-II, my daughter the Black Diamond, and my son the Encore.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well the allowed firearms here are pretty restrictive so I will just stick with my TC Renegade .50 for this years season.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:Image
You're hunting with a work of art...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:
JReed wrote:Image
You're hunting with a work of art...!
Thanks AJ my boys and I built it from a kit starting with the steel in the factory white. Its not just for looks if I do my job it will put 3 round balls in to 1 1/2" @ 100 yards from a rest. To bad I am not as consistent a shot as it is. :?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For elk---35 Winchester Model 1895-----1894 SRC in 25-35 for deer.----------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Just plain wrong to post this gun on this site, but here's what I took out last weekend for the end of Wisconsin's early herd control/antlerless season. The weather was actually good enough to ride to my sister/brother-in-law's place and I could borrow their truck to transport anything I got to register it and drop it for processing.

Didn't feel like strapping a case on the side of the bike or like hooking up the trailer and dragging it behind. Wasn't feeling so sporting as to use a handgun. That narrowed the field to takedowns and since the only thing in that category I was 100% positive was sighted in with a specific load was the .375 barrel for the Blaser...I've read where Elmer'd said the 270 gr. loads won't tear up deer meat as much as high velocity small calibers. :roll: Don't know if I was lucky or not: only one I had opportunity to shoot was about 8 points, which wouldn't qualify as antlerless. So, didn't get to find out if Elmer was right or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I just spent the better part of last week hiking around in the high sierras carrying my Winchester Model '94 Trapper loaded with Keith 250 grain .44 magnums. I didn't see anything other than doe the whole time, but that little carbine sure carried nice and would have worked just fine within the distances I'd choose to engage a deer. I did catch a few nice trout though.......
:D
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

1903 Springfield sporter with Leupold glass. It will make meat out to 350 yards. I'm a meat hunter primarily.

...Unless I see deer in my yard, in which case it may be whatever is handiest by the door at that moment.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I am working on a LEVERGUN ONLY hunting season. So far, I have taken 2 NILGAI and 2 AXIS with 45-70, 30-30 and 444. Hope to take one or two with my cast bullets.

TomF

T
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

My Marlin 336A 30-30 170gr remington core locks and a fixed 4X32 scope.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

either an original 1886 circa 1887 in 45-70, or my '92 in .357, or my Chapuis 9.3x74R double rifle. That is during the regular gun season. I will use the .54 caliber flintlock in late flintlock season.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Hunting is just an excuse to use my guns. I usually bring 3-4 long guns and as many pistols. (there have been years where I hunted for a week and never used the same gun more than half a day. :D )

How many guns I bring is directly proportionate to the running condition of my automobile. Don't want to have more than I can carry when the car dies for good.
At a minimum I usually bring one scoped rifle, one iron sight rifle and one bad weather/back up rifle.
I've been alternating over the years. My Ruger #1 Int. in .243 will be this years scoped rifle. My Hepburn in .45-90 will be the iron sighted gun, and I'll throw in my Win 94 in 30WCF or the cut down beater Krag for bad weather.

I will also be bringing along to hunt with, a S&W 657 .41 mag that my brother in law bought, but never really got to use before he passed away this summer. :cry:
Slow is just slow.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Probably a 30/30 & 45/70. My oldest boy seems intent on useing my 243, the youngest if he decides to join us will use my 1894C I think.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I am mostly gonna use a G2 Contender in 6.5 JDJ. My son is gonna use either a Marlin 94 or a Winchester 94, both in .44 Mag. One of the food plots we hunt over is a bit too short for a scoped bolt gun, so he is gonna try the irons. For that plot, I think I will use a Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Mag. I have a 5 1/2 inch from Dave Clements and a 4 3/4 incher from Jim Stroh. I haven't decided yet. I also have a Shiloh Sharps in 45 Gub'ment that I may try.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Probably my Browning 71 at first, then one or all of these four...Three early 336A's. (Two in .35 Remington and one in .30-30.) Or a 1949 336RC in .32 Special.

My son will be using an early steel BLR in .308 and my dad a steel BLR in .358. Or his Marlin .444 or his Winchester Big Bore in .375 Winchester.

So many wonderful choices! Thank God we live in the good ol' USA!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

My regular firearms season will begin on 10/31/09. That morning will find me with my Marlin 336T re-bored to 38/55 in my hands. It will be stoked with my handloads pushing a Barnes original 255gr bullet. My backup will be my old faithful favorite Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. When they have both scored I will likely make my first hunt ever with a 30/30. I bought a Marlin336T this past spring that really wants to hunt and I just can't tell her no. I also have a late production Savage 99A in 250/3000 and... Well, so many guns and so little time.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"