What is the stupidest thing YOU have ever done while Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

What is the stupidest thing YOU have ever done while Hunting

Post by geobru »

Rangerider7 had a great thread about his worst hunting moment, but few are adding to his experience (which I might say was electrifying!) :lol: I KNOW that there are a lot of good anecdotes among the members of this forum. I'll start out with a few of mine. Lets be men here and fess up! :D

Incident #1: I spent an hour sneaking up on a couple of deer beds that often had pretty nice bucks in them. It was after Mt. St. Helens erupted, so I hadn't been able to enter that area for a couple of years and I couldn't spot the second bed. After scouring the hillside below, I came to the conclusion that the undergrowth had grown up to the point that you couldn't see the bed from that spot. A few steps in front of my hidden location was a windfall that was about three feet off the ground. I reasoned that if I stood on that windfall, I would have a better view of the hill and should be able to spot the bed. I jumped up onto the log and two things happened at the same time. First, the log started bouncing up and down from my weight, and second, a really nice 3 point blacktail with a 16-18" rack came up out of the bed and was bouncing from my right to my left. I want to stress that this wasn't a couple inches of bounce, this was carnival ride type of bounce! That log was undualting at least a foot where I was standing on it!! :wink: When he got into the open, he turned and went straight away. Remember that we were both bouncing.... Him on his legs and me on this log. The sight picture was challenging. The cross hairs were going up and down in symphony with the logs undulations and the deer was leaving the area as fast as he could in the full bounce mode. If there were any sounds associated with this scene, it would be me on the log; beeoinggg, beeoinggg, and the deer; thump, thump, thump. I shot as the crosshairs were speeding across his shoulder blades heading toward the ground. He was going up as I was going down and the bullet hit a log that he was jumping over. Nice technique, huh?? :roll:

Incident #2: This occurred a few years later in the SAME EXACT SPOT!! :o I snuck into the place where I could check out the beds and could hear a deer feeding within 20 yards in the salal (A western washington plant that is noisy to walk through in all circumstances.). Rather than stop and check out the beds, I was preoccupied with spotting the deer feeding in front of me. I stepped out to the same windfall, which was laying on the ground by then, and tried to penetrate the hemlock seedlings between me and the deer. I couldn't see anything, so I swung around to my left and saw the shape of a rump over toward the first bed. I thought the deer was feeding and was over the hill, but when I looked through the scope, there was a 2 or 3 point buck staring right back at me from the first bed. He exploded out of the bed and with one jump was gone. When the one bolted, I heard four distinct clicks as his horns rubbed on a dry root from a windfall. I never did see that one. No shot no venison. :cry:

Incident#3: When I was in college, many years ago, I got an invitation through a friend to shoot ground squirrels on his girlfriends property. We stepped out in this field and there were irrigation pipes stretched out and sprinklers going. The first squirrel that I saw was out at about 55 yards on the other side of a pipe. I knelt down, took careful aim, and put a hole in that pipe. :oops: :oops: Hunting mishaps happen, but this was pure unadulterated stupidity. :oops: :shock:

OK there are a couple of mine, what do you have to add?
Hobie

Re: What is the stupidest thing YOU have ever done while Hunting

Post by Hobie »

Mike had started me hunting in a location near the Fort Lewis Lodge in Bath County, Virginia. It was during the "early" muzzleloading season (bucks only) and I had patterned the deer and knew when they moved through my legal to hunt at spot. I showed up about 15 minutes before Mister Deer showed, got into position and waited. Right on time "my" deer came across the saddle and stopped to pick up a few choice acorns. I put the front post on "the" spot and carefully touched off my New Englander. The only sound was the pop of the cap. I re-capped. I took careful aim. I caressed the trigger and... another pop but no more. Another cap and again... by this time it dawned on me that something wasn't right. I set the gun down and watched the buck feed on over the saddle and down the other side out of sight. I went back to the truck and pulled the load. Some chunks of wet powder came out with the bullet. The wire worm went down to clean it out and came back with a soaking wet patch. To this day I have no idea how I managed to leave that patch in the bore. You can be sure I've never done THAT again.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK,You asked for it.----I will tell you but you might require witnesses which I can provide.(well the brother anyway :( ) About 15 years ago my dad/brother and myself were coming home from a hard days hunt in Pa(I hunted both states) and only seeing about 40 Doe.No Bucks. All of a sudden this big buck jumps right off a steep bank and falls on the road while my brother is hitting the brakes. :o I mean this is a Big Buck(145 score) Before I could say Peter Pan the deer is up and taking off across the low lands river bottom field along the Susquehanna River. At the blink of an eye my old man is shooting at that buck with the Marlin 336 .35 rem(Forget it,I am thinking no way)so the brother and myself park/get out.Now this is along state land/no homes/nothing.I load up the .243 Model 70 and the brother grabs his 300 Win Mag(he has made up these HOT compressed 168gr Loads.)Anyway the old man is yelling come-on Bla Bla Bla.So we get down spread out along the thick stuff heading right towards the rivers edge.After about 10 mins,I come up on him,he is laying down with his antlers looking just like the brush where he is laying.I say to the brother PSSSST I got him.(I had the crosshairs right on his head)at about 20 yards.My brother suddenly comes over saying Please let me shoot him with the .300 Waa Waa Waa! Just as I lower the gun my dad yells anything :shock: :?: The Buck is up and just starts running full out along edge of river.WHAM! Bro drills him with the compressed load of the .300 mag.All you see is this red vapor haze in the air for a second.The deer falls directly into the good old Susquehanna River/in December about 10 degrees and in/about 20foot deep pretty fast current.The deer is starting to pull out in faster water about 20 foot from bank.I am thinking Oh **** there goes a trophy mount.my brother is freakin out.So screw it,I take off boots/coat and JUMP-IN! Oh ya baby I got em.grabbed the big horns swam back and then quickly they helped me to the truck cap where I stripped and lucky for me Bro had a couple sleeping bags in there.I stayed in the insulated cap/truck running with sliding rear window open with heater on full blast while they went down and did what they needed to do.Thinking about it that probably wasnt too bright! But for a trophy???????????This is the absolute truth. :lol: :D :mrgreen:
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

When I was about 10 years old, I was out hunting with my dad.
We were at a farm he had permission to hunt, in New York, up near Millbrook, about a ten minute drive from the Sandanona Pheasantry.
As we walked through some woods, dad saw me pick up on a movement, and let me move forward to make a decision on the animal. The critter was about 40 yards away and coming fast. He seemed to be heading toward a double trunk tree some 20 yards ahead. It became obvious the critter would walk through the V of the double trunk tree.
I got my trusty 22 to the ready and was sighted and ready, dad a step or so behind me.
The critter came straight at me and I leveled the iron sights on him, then as dad had taught, I slowly squeezed the trigger when it was between the two trunks.------click! Only the sound of the hammer falling.
At the sound, that critter must have thought he was a gonner, cause he did a 180 and was gone in about 3 seconds.
As he turned I noticed that it was a skunk.
Dad said he looked like he was charging us, so he didn't tell me to hold my fire.
He later said I was also lucky I had forgotten to load the rifle.
If I had shot that pole cat, the woods would have smelled for a mile around, and that would have included our camp site.
Bob Nisbet
Last edited by RANisbet on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Well this wasn't me... :wink: :wink: :wink: but in the mid '70's fresh outta the Navy I was hunting at my best friends place.....didn't see anything so walked back up to their house and had a big old sawmill breakfast. Visited a little bit and then put my 94 in the car and started up the driveway to the county road (really a very narrow dirt trail).... on the other side of the road (still their property) out jumps a really nice buck. I stop, get out and stick one in the Winchester....buck gets nervous....I shoot...he jumps and takes off. I stick the rifle back in the trunk and walk over and sure enough I had dead centered a pine sapling. Here comes a Game Warden down the road....he gets out, we shake hands and he asks for my hunting license. We visit a minute and he asks if I heard somebody road shooting ?? Just as he gets that out of his mouth...ko-boom !!!! He wheels around and heads for his car...I holler for my hunting license which he pitches me and away he goes....I ease back and get in the car...drive about 100 yards and he has three fellers out with a rifle on the hood of their pickup and very sad looks on their faces...illegal to shoot across a road or from a public road in Tejas.....learned my lesson and have never even considered it again.....we had a good laugh about it a couple of years back.....

jumbeaux
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BP hunting with a .54 Renegade and saw a beautiful, huge non-typical whitetail on the Jefferson Proving Grounds, southern Indiana. Drew a good bead on the shoulder and let go. BOOM FLOP. Jackhammered it!! Sat down on my stump, had a smoke, then walked down on it. Half way to it, He got up and ran off.... I don't know how because it looked like every drop of blood had left it's body where I shot it. Needless to say, my Stupid Move was not reloading the Renegade. I never saw that deer or a drop of it's blood again. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nothing--I'm perfect............oh wait........Back in 1987, I had to drop off an Obama at the pool, but in this case, it was the weeds. It was about 5:00 am, cold and dark. I set the old .33 Winchester against a tree and pulled the one piece suit off my shoulders and slid it down around my knees. I did my business, pulled my suit back on, and went to meet my son for the long walk in the dark to our hunting spot.

My son says to me, "hey Dad, what stinks?" I said, "I don't know but it sure is nasty". I said, "Give me the flashlight". I took the flashlight and looked at my orange suit. The night before I drank about 20 beers and the remnents of the beer and the last nights dinner were all over the sleeve of my suit.

I ain't never told nobody this but my son will remember real well. I'm 55 now and think its funny, but I sure did not back then. I had my son run back to the truck and get me two 16oz. Pabst Blue Ribbons. One to wash it off and the other to drown out my smell senses. :D

Oh yea, We both got bucks a couple of hours later :D ------------------------------------Sixgun
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Once I had 3 deer trot right by me as I was squatting against a pine tree "doing #2". :o

Better yet, my dad was quail hunting with his cousin Billy in Warren County, Georgia. Right at dusk as they were walking down a dirt road back to their vehicle, Billy spots an entire covey in the road ahead. He said, "I'm gonna see how many I can kill with one shot". He fired and yelled, "I got every last one of 'em!" When they got there, they realized that Billy had just obliterated several mule droppings! :lol: :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Locked my keys in the truck 2 miles from the nearest phone, 90+ miles from home and 30 miles from the nearest locksmith. On a saturday morning.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was about 14 and my brother and I were along for the hunt with my uncle. He shot a doe on a rather open hillside, but she ran into a spot of buckbrush. We didn't see her come out. We waited a while and then my brother and I hiked up to the buckbrush. My brother took one side and I took the other. As we started going through the brush I spotted the doe lying down, head up and looking down hill. I was above her. I thought I'll just take my knife out and sneak down to her, grab her ear and slit her throat. In my best sneeky walk I got up to her and grabbed an ear and the rodeo started. I wasn't going to let go, but I had a deer fighting for her life in one hand and a good sized sharp knife in my other and we were doing some serious cartwheels down the hill. It seemed like we rolled forever. We stopped rolling and I was on her sticking that knife in her throat. I think the jump up was the last dying gasp for her looking back on it, but I felt like Paul Bunyan at the time. Won't do that again.
Old Law Dawg
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I was about 18. One of my friends and I were out looking for coyote's. My uncle Bud was sitting in the pick-up between us and I was driving.
Looking around the countryside something exploded :o , dust started bellowing from the floor in the pick-up and I had a flat tire on the front passenger side.
My friend hadn't unloaded the gun he had with and must have hit the trigger. Lucky the only thing we lost that day was a tire and his pride. :oops:

Byron
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Kim, my sides hurt from that story...

I once did a stunt like Blaine. Shot a little buck, then another stepped out into the open...so I waved my brother over and he stepped up behind the big bale I was at and absolutely hammered the second deer front on with his Rossi 44 mag. That deer hit the ground right now. I said: Holy S**T lightning struck! We laughed and walked up to do the dressing. About 10 yards from his deer, it jumped up and ran into the brush...and both of us standing there with empty rounds in the chambers.

The best though was my wife Audrey back in Idaho. We were hunting the Caribou Forest for elk, Northwest of Freedom. We were both sitting at different spots along a game trail up a high ridge that morning. I spent from daybreak until about 11:00 am sitting and seeing deer and moose, but no bull elk. So I headed back to camp to fix lunch. About 30 minutes later Audrey comes back to camp. So I says: "See anything"

Looking sheepish: "He was SO BIG"

Me: "What was"

Audrey: "I was sitting there off the trail, and he comes from the North. One slow step at a time, like he knew something was up. Take one step and look around, then take another step. It was really brushy, so I figured I would have a clean shot at him when he got to this cedar which was in an open space. So I waited until he got there, but he went BEHIND the cedar instead of staying on the trail. So I waited until he had gone out of my sight for a few minutes. I thought I could track him down. I get on the trail and am moving down it, and looking at his tracks when I hear something in front of me. He's just STANDING RIGHT THERE DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME! Looking at me like "what are you doing you stupid b***h?" (her words not mine). Then he just wheeled and disappeared."

I laughed good over that, then commended her for not taking a questionable shot to begin with. Lots of good memories on that hunt.

Ed
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I was working at a lodge just out of Yellowstone. I took some time off one afternoon to hunt. My Marlin 45-70 had a problem with the lever latch stud, it would pop (completely) open when loaded. I was hunting with a Winchester 94 in 30-30 instead. Had a black bear tag, and was following some very fresh, rather large blacky tracks up a drainage, it became closer, brushier country. The country was also thick in grizzlies. I started hearing cracking brush,.....from the side, not where the tracks were going. I was either being flanked, or had another bear looking around for me, from my impression at the moment. I looked at the 30-30, and looked at the close thick brush,....and slowly backtracked out. I got the 45-70 fixed next day, and secured an 1886 shortly thereafter, never to be without one again.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was hunting black bear in the thick woods of western Maine and being a FAT BASt%^D my guide had me in a ground blind. I was between two trees with a hemp rope tied from one to the other at a bit of a angle at eye level with a piece of camo burlap draped over it and held in place with brush and logs and such. I was very well concealed in my little area but it had an open back. I had seen a turkey, partridge and a couple of the funniest squirrels ever, already. I while later I see just a flash of a black arm off through the woods but I can't see the rest of him just a very large arm with sharp pointy claws on the end of it....and I'm on the ground remember. He dissapears and I can't find him anywhere I figured he winded me and moved on. A little while later the squirrels bolt away and I start looking at the area I had last seen THE ARM. I can't see anything and I relax a little. Soon I see a round black object"dancing" along the top of the burlap from my left to the right and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is so I lean forward in my chair to see what it is and it is the right ear of the bear...OH POOP. I look at him with my eyes the size of saucers and he looks at me with the same eyes and in two different languages we each say at exactly the same time WHERE THE HE77 DID YOU COME FROM? He starts back to my left and being up against the tree on my left I shoulder my 1895ss to my right shoulder(I'm a lefty) and then press the safety ON and pull the trigger.. click. I had put the safety on because I was using it backwards DUMMY! He runs away and with in a few minutes the guide is there to pick me up and as I am telling this story he is saying "I think you were pretty close" I am jabbering like an idiot and saying of course I was close but how do you know? He points to a spot on the ground where the bear track was about 4 feet from the edge of the burlap..OH boy! Pucker factor in high gear! As a post script I have removed the safeties on all my Marlins at this point cause click is not the sound you want to hear when your four feet from a bear!! I have to admit at the lodge that night I had a good dose of anti-anxiety meds,the kind that come in 12 ounce cans bundled 6 to a bundle. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

The "Stupidest" thing I have ever done, and keep doing is quitting, going home, then back to work. Wish I could figure a way around that!
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I was 16 and a buddy and I were coon hunting one night. We had a pint of shine to keep away the chill. I let him talk me into driving the jeep over the remains of a 50 year old abandoned logging railroad trestle. About 50 yards further the road grade disappeared with no place to turn around. As I was backing toward the trestle my buddy dropped my light and I ran over it. I guess God guided that jeep over the trestle, and about a half mile from there I had two flats, one spare..and we were out of joy juice faced with a LONG walk home.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Ok, I'm in this slew, 12 years old, hugged up against a fence, doe coming, I've got my old Russian Nangent that Grampaw gave me, a double handful of military ammo that's had the ball bullets pulled and had softpoints seated in their place. I miss the deer running right at me 3 times. She's not 20 yards and click. I hunker down to reload and the deer jumps the fence right over the top of me. I didn't get the gun reloaded for another shot before the deer is gone.

Not me directly but deer hunting with my 13 year old cousin. He hadn't hit anything to that point with his borrowed 30-06 and I really didn't expect him to. Blizzarded so bad, they extended the season, his school was canceled so we took another day of hunting.

So we walked out to this old slew about a mile from the pickup (2X4 International) bucking snow to our bellies. As I'm busting through this slew, I jump a little fawn. I glance at it through my scope and know what it is. I let down my rifle to catch my cousin lining up on it in my peripheral vision, I holler "don't shoot it's a BOOM fawn". Danged if he didn't drill it right through the heart. Weighed about 60lbs field dressed and by the time we got back to the pickup I was d#$@ glad of it.

A few guys(friends of my father) come out to hunt deer, one's got this wildcat rifle based on an 03 action, 06 improved case, 6mm bore. Made his own jacketed bullets for it. Yearling doe stands up in front of him, broadside, 30 yards, "Bang" down goes the deer. The pickup was right there with his buddies in it. Leans the rifle against the pickup, walks out carrying a 22 pistol. He gets 5 yards from the deer, up it jumps and takes off running. He hollers for his buddies to shoot it. They do, one hit from a 300Mag in the right ham, one hit from a 30-06 in the left ham and another right up the A hole with another 300. I boned that deer out, got a gallon ice cream bucket about 3/4 full of edible meat.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I bring my father with me elk huntin every year. :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sixgun jr wrote:I bring my father with me elk huntin every year. :mrgreen:

I read that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid to bring me along huh?????

Just for that I am assigning you to be the "camp sissy". That means cooking, cleaning, firewood gathering, keeping the stove lit, and other things like rubbing my toes at the end of the day, underwear sniffing, (test for cleansiness) , holster lubrication :shock:, etc.

Hey wait, you already do those things :D :D ------------------------YO PAPPA
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sixgun wrote:
Sixgun jr wrote:I bring my father with me elk huntin every year. :mrgreen:

I read that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid to bring me along huh?????

Just for that I am assigning you to be the "camp sissy". That means cooking, cleaning, firewood gathering, keeping the stove lit, and other things like rubbing my toes at the end of the day, underwear sniffing, (test for cleansiness) , holster lubrication :shock:, etc.

Hey wait, you already do those things :D :D ------------------------YO PAPPA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You gone and done it now Sixgun Jr.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Forgot my knife.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

As a teenager, I had my finger on the trigger when I was pulling the hammer back on my single shot 12, trying to get on a jackrabbit. My best friend pulled up his Smith and Wesson pump and placed it very close to my ear and let fly at the rabbit. The concussion caused me to release my grip on the hammer and my finger closed over the trigger at the same moment and I shot the dirt right in front of me. Don't know if I was madder at him or myself! I violated the trigger rule but thankfully the muzzle rule made it much less of a problem. Learned that day how important both of those rules were.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

For years my favorite spot for deer hunting was to lay out in the middle of this corn field. It was shotgun only, so that was the only way to cover the whole field. One evening I was laying out in the snow in my usual spot. It was a real cold afternoon and I was struggling to stay put till sundown. I was cold.. teeth chattering cold, but I just needed a another 20 minutes or so. I did everything I could to stay still and stay warm, trying to generate some internal heat. After a little bit I started to warm up a bit, I stopped shivering and I thought everything is great. I waited that last 20 minutes till the any hope of even pretending it was still legal shooting light was gone. :wink:

I started to get ready to pack up, and rolled over to sit up and I realized I couldn't feel/move my legs. I guess hypothermia was setting in and my lower body wasn't getting circulation. Of course that's when panic started to set in. "Oh my god I'm all alone, a quarter mile from camp, in the middle of nowhere in a corn field, it's in the teens, dark, I can't stand up and I've got hypothermia! Oh %#@& I'm gonna die out here!"

I started punching my legs trying to get some feeling back, rubbing them, picking them up and bending them with my hands. Slowly the blood started to flow and of course as it did my core temperature crashed. I was finally able stand up to walk but I was shaking so bad it was like a seizure . Walking in corn furrows in the dark with numb rubber legs, having convulsions, I still don't know how I didn't break a leg out there. It was a long scary walk back to camp, but I did it.

THAT was the stupidest thing I've ever done while hunting.
Slow is just slow.